advertisement

Node & Amp or Powernode?

Paulq2

pfm Member
I am pretty space constrained regarding speakers for TV duties and am currently considering a new setup with either a Node/Amp combo or a Powernode. The speakers will either be Neat Iota or Dali Spektor.

Any views on whether the Powernode is adequate or if I'd hear an improvement with a Node/Amp combination? I am set on the source being Bluesound; the room is a medium-sized lounge (not measured it). I don't play anything at ear-splitting volumes.

Has anyone tried both or have a view?

Thanks.

You could try looking at https://darko.audio/2022/09/a-short-film-about-the-bluesound-powernode-edge/ he also has a review on the PowerNode though that YT is a good start. I think the only issue with Bluesound offers in general is the weak DAC included. I'd be inclined to go with the Node and use an external DAC, doesn't have to be flash just practically any Topping or SMSL DAC will be fine just choose according to your budget. I've just gone down a different but similar route using the WIIM Pro with a Topping E30 and it's very acceptable.

Yes I have tried both at the 2i generation. The Powernode 2i was good and got me to get the Node 2i for both of my set ups. The separated solution allows greater expansion at later dates if you want to upgrade speakers and will sell more readily if you need to move on. I eventually upgraded both my 2i units to the later NP130 units because of the USB out facility. If your speakers are transparent enough (sorry I don't have any experience of yours), then with a worthwhile DAC the difference over s/pdif is audible....even to a previous sceptic like me. I used a £200 SMSL DAC on my loft system but have upgraded to a Lindemann DAC/pre-amp. Very happy.

Quite a bit of Bluesound kit here but 90% of the time I am in the living room which has the latest Powernode, I have the RC1 remote to make it as easy to use as an old school hifi. Genuinely very happy with the sound, physical size and how it disappeared in the cupboard under the TV. I do occasionally get the urge to pop the Node and a separates amp in its place but that’s absolutely nothing to do with the sound quality.

Powernode in my kitchen system with Lg TV and ATC speakers with a sub. Sounds superb, and running it all from one unit is bliss.

My only gripe with the Powernode is that it doesn’t have rca outputs, so ‘trying’ an external amp is impossible. :(

My only gripe with the Powernode is that it doesn’t have rca outputs, so ‘trying’ an external amp is impossible. :(

Yes, line outs would have been very nice, I guess they made it very similar to the Sonos Amp which also does not have outs but probably the nearest competitor.

Hmm, the Cyrus One was an obvious step up just as an amp, and the Naim Atom better than both, but the Powernode is at least inoffensive, it is just going to come down to what adequate means for you.

Powernode in my kitchen system with Lg TV and ATC speakers with a sub. Sounds superb, and running it all from one unit is bliss.

I think the whole concept is the simplicity of the whole experience. Adding more bits and complexity waters down the point of the thing.

Does it matter for a TV system ?
He's considering putting Neat Iota's in the system so... I mean why just not a soundbar if it's broadcast TV?

I assumed he'd be streaming some music and using the TV as a screen to show what's playing etc, the OP didn't go into a lot of depth regarding the use case. If it has to be a one box solution then NAD C700 must be a contender as it has a bit more power, better DAC and more flexibility with connectivity and it also uses the BluOS same as the Node. 30% more expensive sure, but perhaps the OP would think it worth it.

We have a Powernode 2i in the dining room with a pair of Spendor S5es. We like it- there's enough power to drive the insensitive '5es pretty loud, although we don't really crank it in that room. The balance seems neutral and clean- typical modern hi-fi electronics really. The only comparisons I've made were with the Sony TA-F30ES and similar level Sony CD player and tuner it replaced, which slightly favoured the Powernode, and an Audiolab 6000A that I had a very brief listen to in that room with our Node 2i, before giving the amp to my brother. My snap impression was that the Audiolab was probably the better amplifier, but really only in a 'cosmetic' sense: a bit warmer, imaging a little more spacious, and perhaps a greater sense of substance to the sound. Once I'd wired the Powernode back in, those sort of differences seemed to be confirmed, but after I'd listened to a couple of tracks I just accepted the Powernode on it's own terms and didn't think I was missing anything of consequence. Probably best matched with speakers on the warmer side, I reckon.

I have a Powernode 2i running Duevel Planets either side of a wide-screen TV. This replaced a Samsung soundbar and works well. On listening to blu-ray it is easy to appreciate the sound quality. I only occasionally stream music as I have a serious listening room but I use it for radio and background when we have guests. I was going to get the Alphas myself but was unhappy at the price rise from when they first came on the market and jumped on some good value second hand Planets instead. I tried them in my main system for fun and remember being pleasantly surprised at their performance. If you are flexible on not using Bluesound then the SVS Prime Pro Wireless Soundbase might be a good shout. It is an integrated streaming amp with HDMI at a similar price.

I ended up buying the Powernode which came today. Excitedly hooked it up - no sound. Hmm. Started again - no sound. Checked different speakers - no sound. Tried different cables - no sound.

I obviously have a dud but am now regretting not taking the Node/Amp option so may have another look at that. Any recommendations in the budget bracket up to £850? Am thinking Rotel A12 may be a good quality option.

If you just connected the TV via HDMI it’s possible that you had to fiddle with the TV setting to get audio out.

The TV was connected via Toslink, that didn't work either along with Tidal, Qobuz, TuneIn or RP. The device was showing as setup, all inputs selectable, just nothing coming out of the speakers. I'll have a rethink, thanks.

advertisement

Back