advertisement

No more SME arms!

There was room in the market to develop a more expensive, limited edition “super arm” surely? And now they’ve handed this opportunity (as well as the one to become the best aftermarket arm manufacturer) on a plate to the competition right in the middle of a turntable revival. Crazy.

Could they improve on their Five-twelve though? Think they'd have to start from scratch, which is what they'd've done a decade or more ago. There are plenty of 'super' arms out there, including 12" (which, i.m.o., it would need to be, despite limitations of most decks out there).

Rather than the Fours and Fives, as well as the stand-out models mentioned above, being 'collectors' items', as it were, the V12, with its much more limited sales and history, would be my pick. However, and whereas I lusted after one for quite a while, I don't know how good it really is.

Besides, I can't see any advantage of plug-in phono leads and its theoretical disadvantages except inasmuch as it appeals to aftermarket leads aficionados. Give me straight-through every time (with some hindsight, too).

advertisement

Back