advertisement

No More Meat.

It's not quite that simplistic, 'better being the enemy of the Good' and all that.

As I posted early in this thread - I've gone veggie with no regrets. Yet equally - as some others above have commented.. well... even-yet one can feel otherwise.

About a month ago, I bought & cooked a small piece of Beef. yes; really. I took care how I sourced it, paid over the odds as a result; and in a slightly-grubby way, deeply enjoyed / felt it did me good. It's not something I look forward to repeating; but cannot say that will not happen.

The bigger picture: for me, meat in two meals out of over 700 days; not the ideal - but I can live with myself as such.
I rarely eat meat, maybe once every two or three weeks. But I've noticed that it gives me energy, and if I eat it at night it can keep me awake. So there must be something in meat protein that is not to be found in beans, cheese and taufu.

I guess a similar reason why I sometimes drink an alcohol free beer; it’s not the same as a proper beer but it tastes good. Therefore veggy heads might occasionally miss a juicy-junky hamburger, so to scratch the ich they go for something that looks like one and tastes good. If Elvis now and again binged on veggy burgers, he might still be with us….
Yeah, I get that, I just don't really see the appeal of eating some ultra-processed junk that's worse than the original junk food and held together with God knows what to make it resemble something that's pretty nasty in its original form. Doesn't a bean burger satisfy the urge for a junky burger, and it's a better product?
It's not quite that simplistic, 'better being the enemy of the Good' and all that.

As I posted early in this thread - I've gone veggie with no regrets. Yet equally - as some others above have commented.. well... even-yet one can feel otherwise.

About a month ago, I bought & cooked a small piece of Beef. yes; really. I took care how I sourced it, paid over the odds as a result; and in a slightly-grubby way, deeply enjoyed / felt it did me good. It's not something I look forward to repeating; but cannot say that will not happen.

The bigger picture: for me, meat in two meals out of over > 700 days; not the ideal - but I can live with myself as such.
Don't beat yourself up, it's not a religion. Perfection doesn't have to be the enemy of the good, an improvement is an improvement.
I rarely eat meat, maybe once every two or three weeks. But I've noticed that it gives me energy, and if I eat it at night it can keep me awake. So there must be something in meat protein that is not to be found in beans, cheese and taufu.
Something in meat, possibly. Meat protein itself, not really. Animal proteins contain all of the 9 essential amino acids in the human diet and are therefore a "complete protein". Plant proteins taken individually don't, so you have to have a variety of plant proteins to get the full set. Absence of an essential amino acid for a sustained period won't give you low energy or keep you awake, it will cause you to waste away and it will eventually kill you. If you don't have all the amino acids you need then you won't be able to build or repair proteins and you will literally fall apart. Skin and hair falls off, teeth fall out, muscles waste away, and that's just the bits that you can see. It would not be a nice way to go.

Yeah, I get that, I just don't really see the appeal of eating some ultra-processed junk that's worse than the original junk food and held together with God knows what to make it resemble something that's pretty nasty in its original form. Doesn't a bean burger satisfy the urge for a junky burger, and it's a better product?
We came to that conclusion with the veggie alternatives also, what exactly is in there. bean burgers, good shout as we have forgotten about them, will look up some recipes

We came to that conclusion with the veggie alternatives also, what exactly is in there. bean burgers, good shout as we have forgotten about them, will look up some recipes
Bean burgers are great, because it's real food. Mash up some beans, chickpeas, whatever, with some other interesting stuff (onions, garlic, herbs, veg) to make it tasty, make a burger, fry it up and off you go.

For those interested in the debate:

The Big British Beef Battle​

8pm, Channel 4​

Will eating beef become the new smoking? Ade Adepitan shows us exactly how bad farming, importing and consuming beef is for the planet – its carbon footprint is seven times bigger than chicken and six times more than Quorn. But he finds there is an argument that beef can be made more sustainably.

For the last four or five months i have limited my meat to one rump steak per week, rest of the time i have been having vegetarian dishes - cooked from ”scratch”.
i am very suspicious of the trend for ready made meat alternative meals sold in supermarkets as they seem very pricey and heavily processed (just look at those ingredient lists).
Black beans and adzuki beans are amongst my favourites. Although i was very pleased with slow cooker baked beans which i made a few weeks ago, and I don’t like “normal” tinned baked beans.
roasted vegetables and good spicing are the key to a tasty vegetarian meal in my opinion.
Tofu tastes of whatever it is cooked in - just like chicken :)

Also bear in mind that it is best to mix beans, nuts and grains in order to get a mix of proteins.

I am finding that i feel more alert/active and less in need of an afternoon nap since the change in diet.

If we all would just reduce our meat consumption to 1-2 times a week. We would have less health issues and it would make a huge impact on our climate and animal wellbeing. All that's needed is strong regulation on farming and massive taxes on all cheap meat. I see a win/win/win. But I know there's lots of people not willing to give up meat that easily (the same with smoking).

My wife and I don't buy meat (other than pet mince from the local butcher for our dog) but will eat roadkill when sometimes found such as pheasant, deer, pigeon, rabbit or squirrel. A Muntjac or other small deer such as a Sika will provide a few months worth of the occasional venison meal after we've got it home, butchered and frozen it, otherwise vegetarian for the rest (most) of the food we eat. Setting aside any issues surrounding whether some of the creatures should be around in the UK, by the time they are dead in a road they are just a waste product or - worse - a physical hazard in the case of one of the deer we've had. The last one we picked up was found in a spot which would likely have caused a road accident if we hadn't moved it out of the way in time, at which point even we would have been too squeamish to deal with it.

I don't get the fake product approach to vegi/vegan food, I have said so here before. I can't see the point…
Maybe I am wrong to take this approach, as a food manufacturer there's a great living to be made in the fake food market. However if one such manufacturer were to hire me, I'd be an enthuiastic convert.
That reminds me of the Patrick Moraz auditioning for Yes story.

‘Thanks Patrick, that was great and we’d love to have you in the band. There’s just one other thing - we are all strict vegetarians. Are you a vegetarian, Patrick?’

Thoughtful pause. ‘I can be…’

It just serves the same purpose as meat based junk food. It's cheap and convenient. You get home from work and you're both knackered and can't face cooking from scratch. Quorn sausages take ten minutes under the grill and are satisfyingly hot and fatty. You don't want to eat that stuff every day but it serves it's purpose now and then.

Yes, if I was really organised I could spend the weekend cooking in batches and freezing meals ready for days when neither of us wants to cook but that's not always going to happen...

My wife and I don't buy meat (other than pet mince from the local butcher for our dog) but will eat roadkill when sometimes found such as pheasant, deer, pigeon, rabbit or squirrel. A Muntjac or other small deer such as a Sika will provide a few months worth of the occasional venison meal after we've got it home, butchered and frozen it, otherwise vegetarian for the rest (most) of the food we eat. Setting aside any issues surrounding whether some of the creatures should be around in the UK, by the time they are dead in a road they are just a waste product or - worse - a physical hazard in the case of one of the deer we've had. The last one we picked up was found in a spot which would likely have caused a road accident if we hadn't moved it out of the way in time, at which point even we would have been too squeamish to deal with it.
Quite courageous eviscerating and butchering a deer. I've done it, I know.

We recently discovered Clearspring soya mince (from Ocado). Ingredients (drum roll): soya (organic from EU). Yes that's it. So far I've soaked it in broth (stock and medium curry powder) which gives it some kind of taste. Bunged in with pasta dishes and it does the job fairly well.

@stevec67 would like your feedback on Methylcellulose and Xanthum gum - these are used in most "meat replacement" products (some notable exceptions are Vivera shwarma/bacon pieces, also recently it seems Garden Gourmet Chicken-Style Fillets, served in some pub chains, no longer have them, maybe). We've found products with these ingredients don't agree with us, in any quantity. I understand Methylcellulose is used in cosmetics.

Last edited:
My dear brother was a veggie and worked for a big German company , when he visited HQ in Germany for meetings he didnt get on too well in the land of a thousand sausages !!

My dear brother was a veggie and worked for a big German company , when he visited HQ in Germany for meetings he didnt get on too well in the land of a thousand sausages !!
Haha! I had a couple of awkward evenings being entertained by the Frankfurt office... the working lunch I attended in the Paris office was even worse (though the booze was better!)

I've cut down on red meat in recent years, but still eat wild line caught fish and shot game.

I've tried some of the artificial meet substitutes but looking at the contents it's pretty clear that most of them are loaded with at least as much salt, saturated fats and chemical additives as the real thing, so are hardly healthy alternatives imho. I no longer touch them.

Don't beat yourself up, it's not a religion. Perfection doesn't have to be the enemy of the good, an improvement is an improvement.

Something in meat, possibly. Meat protein itself, not really. Animal proteins contain all of the 9 essential amino acids in the human diet and are therefore a "complete protein". Plant proteins taken individually don't, so you have to have a variety of plant proteins to get the full set. Absence of an essential amino acid for a sustained period won't give you low energy or keep you awake, it will cause you to waste away and it will eventually kill you. If you don't have all the amino acids you need then you won't be able to build or repair proteins and you will literally fall apart. Skin and hair falls off, teeth fall out, muscles waste away, and that's just the bits that you can see. It would not be a nice way to go.
When I make veggy burgers I know what I’m putting in them; you assume I buy the packaged vegan shit. Justifying eating meat by slagging off veg is daft. There are places in India that are predominantly vegetarian, like the state of Gujarat with a population of 60 million – they’re doing ok on a plant based diet. I prefer to get my nutritional info from experts. And use my instincts.

sorry but I have worked in 4 cities in Gujarat - meat is widely eaten in Ahmedabad and Ghee is widely used elsewhere- not really a plant based diet

advertisement

Back