advertisement

No more Hicaps..

per flemming

I realise most of the old black classic Naim range are discontinued allready.

Meaning no more Hicap/Supercap/XPS power supplies made for existing setups apart from the usual alternatives like Teddy, CHC amo.

As far as I know, the new classic 300 PSU is not compatible - please correct me if I'm wrong - if its compatible, then too expensive anyway.

So wouldn't there be a future need and demand issue ?

They are about to be discontinued. Last orders at the end of this month for Hicap, Supercap, NAPSC, XPS, 282, 252, 250DR, 300DR.

Investor Recap:

There'll be a short hiccup in HI-CAP used prices, but then they'll soar. Time to stock up!

P.S. The cold snap in SNAPS shares will thaw by next Spring. Get those originals re-wired for dual-rail usage now.

Will prices "soar" ?

With no more kit being built that will use them...and plenty of used ones available...Where's the price rise coming from...

I reckon there should be enough supply on the second hand market, although perhaps not in Australia or New Zealand. There's always the alternative power supplies anyway.

It's no different to the situation with all the older discontinued products. There wasn't a big mismatch between Components and Power Supplies for the Olive era, was there?

There wasn't a big mismatch between Components and Power Supplies for the Olive era, was there?

Not that I remember.
Most Olive boxes were replaced with new: 82 became 282, Hicap became Hicap 2 and so on.

Their strategy must be to create large new potential customerbase by release all new range.

Last edited:
Will prices "soar" ?

With no more kit being built that will use them...and plenty of used ones available...Where's the price rise coming from...
Mine was meant to be a tongue-in-cheeky comment, however, one possible reason for used values having remained strong is that old HI-CAP could also be used with newer NAC. Seems that might no longer be the case moving forward, hence the value of old then being in relation to the suitability of old for use with old only.

Naim New Classic 'socket city' edition:
NAC332-Back.jpg

P.S. You know you are in trouble when it says 'Refer to User Manual' next to the Matrix brain stem sockets round back (this after plugging the thing into the mains and it not working).

I'm sure Teddy Pardo has it covered!

It surprises me that Naim have even retained the utter bollockology of separate huge linear PSU's in their current range.

Teddy has demonstrated that smaller better engineered linear PSu's are adequate or better than what Naim previously offered and the rest of the world is now firmly on SMPS as the way forward.

......But never forget "the Earth is flat ...the Earth is flat"

The Naim directors should just keep chanting that as the firm goes under!

I am sure that the Directors of Naim will be pleased to take advice from you on how to increase their already rising profits.

I seriously doubt the new 200 & 300 series are going to be major contributors to their profits! They are a token nod to the increasingly disloyal purists.

The cynical remarketing of a once great brand possibly could be though.

FWIW Mick I'm a former senior exec, and every time I've told a management team they're on a wrong track and parted ways with them I've been absolutely correct (not that I'm with Naim or would want to be these days)!

I seriously doubt the new 200 & 300 series are going to be major contributors to their profits! They are a token nod to the increasingly disloyal purists.

The cynical remarketing of a once great brand possibly could be though.

FWIW Mick I'm a former senior exec, and every time I've told a management team they're on a wrong track and parted ways with them I've been absolutely correct (not that I'm with Naim or would want to be these days)!

All worthwhile points. Was much of your branded goods experience in hi-fi?

No sir, never thought I could make any money in that market without selling my soul and losing every strip of credibility I ever had!

I never even sold branded goods, just expensive financial services and education!

Makes no difference - all businesses are essentially the same when they fail, and they mostly fail for the same reason. Nobody's buying into the bullshit or product you sell anymore!

Occasionally it's cheaper and better (foreign?) competition , but that's actually just a failure to buy into the appropriate firms at the right time.

FWIW Mick I'm a former senior exec, and every time I've told a management team they're on a wrong track and parted ways with them I've been absolutely correct

so Naim is going under , sad to hear that, it was a brand I have bought and even admired somewhat.

.sjb

Oh no- not going under. Just shilling overpriced sh!te, much like other formerly departed brands such as Leek, Mission, Wharfedale, Quad etc etc.

Once the original enthusiasts who founded it are gone, the magic has usually gone too, and that's where Naim currently are.

The current state of the art is with brands such as RME, Hypex,Genelec and Topping I suspect.

FWIW I also rather like the stuff they made in their heyday, I own an olive 6 pack system, but it's now 25 years old in the newest places and 35 years old in others!

The world has moved on!

Well doesn't everybody's except for "ahem" Naim?

Expo figured out how to shield the preamp circuity from the PSU noise in the late 80's and promptly gave up the multiple box approach.

If I didn't own Naim Kit I'd probably own expo equivalents, you just couldn't easily get it when I was buying, and you still can't.

Expo IX/XI not so difficult.

Three IDENTICAL expo dual IV's and an active XO..... forget it!

God forbid them designing a decent power supply and including it to begin with! These are the darkest of times

advertisement

Back