advertisement

No digital output (I think) from Cambridge Audio CD4SE coax, into Chord Mojo2

wulbert

pfm Member
Hoping to listen to the digital output from my old C.A. CD4SE CD player, via my Chord Mojo2, I bought this cable. ( Digital Coaxial Audio Video Cable Stereo-SPDIF RCA To 3.5mm Jac-K Male For HDT).

The CD4 SE has a BNC style digital out, so I used this kind of adaptor to fix the cable to at the CDP end.

Plugged the 3.5mm jack end into the Mojo's "COAX" input, disconnect analogue RCA outs from back of CDP, spin a CD and nothing. No sound via the Mojo's headphone output. That's me stumped really.
I'm wondering if I am doing something obviously wrong? Is the BNC adaptor no use for this purpose? Is the adaptor cable wrong? Do I need to do something on the CD player to switch on the digital output? Maybe the digital out on the CDP is broken. Is there a simple way to test if any signal is coming out the Coax output on the CDP?
Any suggestions for something to try next?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Mojo will auto sense where a digital signal is coming from, so no switching there.
Can't speak for the CDP as never used one - although it could need to switch to a digital output.

Can you check continuity between BNC plug centre and 3.5 jack tip to prove the cable is correct?

I think you will find that the input jack you have is incorrect - it's stereo. As per the instruction manual - a stereo jack will mean Mojo2 expects an dual input from M Scaler.
You need a mono jack. Tip will be signal, sleeve will be ground.
At least thats my understanding & what is in the manual? (See above)

I think you will find that the input jack you have is incorrect - it's stereo. As per the instruction manual - a stereo jack will mean Mojo2 expects an dual input from M Scaler.
You need a mono jack. Tip will be signal, sleeve will be ground.
At least thats my understanding & what is in the manual? (See above)
Thanks. I’m still unsure what the correct end would look like.
The manual picture above shows a jack with 3 segments, the one I bought has 4 segments. I can’t understand why a “digital” 3.5mm jack isn’t a standard thing. Is there something special about “digital" cables, or is it just two bits of wire, like every other cable?
Could I just use a “Mono” 3.5mm jack to RCA?

Yes, the manual does show a 'stereo' jack, but as said - thats what you would use for dual data. - BUT - SEE BELOW.

EDIT FOR EXACT INFORMATION :-

The layout of the Coaxial INPUT on Mojo2 is:

Coax 1: Tip
Coax 2: Ring
Ground: Sleeve

So for single data… the cable would need to be wired with either Tip or Ring as signal, sleeve must be ground. Mojo2 will auto-detect with variation it is.

The link I added will be INCORRECT so has been deleted.
The cable you have is probably wired for a different use.

TRS-Audio-Jack-Pinout_0.png

Last edited:
Yes, the manual does show a 'stereo' jack, but as said - thats what you would use for dual data. - BUT - SEE BELOW.

EDIT FOR EXACT INFORMATION :-

The layout of the Coaxial INPUT on Mojo2 is:

Coax 1: Tip
Coax 2: Ring
Ground: Sleeve

So for single data… the cable would need to be wired with either Tip or Ring as signal, sleeve must be ground. Mojo2 will auto-detect with variation it is.

The link I added will be INCORRECT so has been deleted.
The cable you have is probably wired for a different use.

TRS-Audio-Jack-Pinout_0.png
Thank you very much for taking the time to explain that. is there any way to know which variation of cable I’m buying? Do they have numbers/codes that show how they are wired?

I had no idea it was so complicated. I have no idea what “single" and “dual" data are.

Seems like the cable is at fault, but Is there a simple way to test if a signal is actually coming out of the CDP’s coax out?

Would I hear something ( digital noise?) if I just stick an RCA onto the coax out and plug the other end into an ordinary analogue line-level input on an amp? Could this cause damage?

Not a problem for me..
Your CDP will be 'Single Data' so dont worry further on that.
The cable you have is more likely wired for a different use, not necessarily 'faulty'
You will not hear anything from Mojo2 if no signal is getting through.
I will ask if a BNC/Jack is available - they are certainly for SPDIF (think RCA)
I am unsure what a BNC converter does to the signal quality in digital.
To get the correct cable you would need to ask the maker how it is wired.
Sorry - I cant answer your final question.

Hoping to listen to the digital output from my old C.A. CD4SE CD player, via my Chord Mojo2, I bought this cable. ( Digital Coaxial Audio Video Cable Stereo-SPDIF RCA To 3.5mm Jac-K Male For HDT).

The CD4 SE has a BNC style digital out, so I used this kind of adaptor to fix the cable to at the CDP end.

Plugged the 3.5mm jack end into the Mojo's "COAX" input, disconnect analogue RCA outs from back of CDP, spin a CD and nothing. No sound via the Mojo's headphone output. That's me stumped really.
I'm wondering if I am doing something obviously wrong? Is the BNC adaptor no use for this purpose? Is the adaptor cable wrong? Do I need to do something on the CD player to switch on the digital output? Maybe the digital out on the CDP is broken. Is there a simple way to test if any signal is coming out the Coax output on the CDP?
Any suggestions for something to try next?
I have had my CD4se since they came out new when I bought a DAC now used as a transport. I made a 1.5meter lead from CF100 coaxial cable (WF100 these days) with a BNC male soldered on at one end & "F" type (designed for coax) phono plug at the other, because I found that with BNC to female RCA type where an RCA lead could be just plugged in often resulted in a poor contact & no signal, why I do not know however that same coax lead feeds my Caiman SEG50 with no problems.

As above the output could be defective could you get someone to test it?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
In case it helps anyone else; this cable works with the Chord Mojo 2's 3.5mm coax input.

The seller is helpful and the quality of the cable on first use today seems very good. I can now flip between the Mojo 2 and the CD4SE's own DAC. Conclusion is the Mojo2 is better, not massively, but clearly more space around each musical element and less "mush".

advertisement

Back