advertisement

No-bull digital audio streamer + DAC sought

I'm on 2Mbit and never have any probs with the paid for Spotify on Sonos or the Mac desktop in my home studio/office.

Last charging affects squeezebox as well which sucks but they are not making money out of the service. I am still waiting for Classical.com to get their shit into gear and start streaming at higher than 192Kbp/s -- to fil this gap I hear rumours that Deutche Grammofon and Berlin Phil are launching a streaming service at 320Kbps which if true will be awesome as live classical is where its at. But then we need to wait for Sonos to integrate it into the software and they are not the fastest.

It usually comes down to Sonos and Logictech. The mainstrem hi fi companies frantically jumping on the wagon (Linn, Cyrus, Naim etc) imho seem to add little value and a whole lot of cost in the streamer market.

It is swings and roundabouts Sonos/Squeezebox. To play internet radio and streaming services, neither need a PC/server/NAS running. To play HDD-based files both need additional sofware runnning on a PC/mac/server/NAS. (I discount tiny SBS on SB Touch as it is no easier than Squeezerserver and not as performant). Both can be easily run from and iphone/itouch/ipad/Android wireless device and there are a host of good apps to do this. Deuce.

I run 1 SB touch, 1 duet, 1 receiver and 1 SB3. I run these on a dedicated black box headless, fanless server that never stops. Nor does it perform any other function.

The Touch feeds vanilla TCP/IP packets to my Cyrus pre/DAC, wher the real work is done and where the real difference is made, so i don't have to faff about with a PC or MAC and start optimising sounds cards, other software, optical outs etc etc and still have to have a PC/mac tied to my hi fi. That for me is a waste of time.

The beauty of networking (rather than direct-attaching dedicated source to hi fi) is that once you have it running, expanding it is so easy. Here Sonos used to have advantage, but with SB Touch and SB Radio, adding new node zones as just as easy, assuming you can master SSID and password. Newcomers can get flummuxed on either system, and this is usually more about IP networking than the system architecture itself.

24 bit tracks on the Touch/Cyrus combo are really something special and imho can challenge many top end CD transport/DAC combos. I was listening to "Blue Bird" from Wings Band on Run at 24bit flac, 16 bit flac, ALAC, and 320kps mp4a rates, back to back at weekend. 24bit was so much more enjoyable than others. Not scientific I know, but it was extra virgin cold first pressing compared to regular virgin. It's nice to have the choice of formats with which to make one's own mind about relative quality.

Sonos doesn't support 24bit files (yet). Neither does Apple, discounting both for digital hi fi fans who want to play the highest available quality source files.

Sonos is still capable of sounding very good on it's own and even better with an external DAC. That is such an easy upgrade. I rate the system highly.

I think at £200, the Squeezebox Touch is the bargain of the current streamer market. Add a Dacmagic or rDAC, and you have good quality source at a reasonable price. Ditto Sonos Z90 + DAC as a base system building block.

You'll be happy with either I'll wager.

I question the need for a DAC with the Sonos, really. Having tried a Benchmark DAC any improvments were a bit meh really. Less meh with my old SB Classic but this add on DAC business still left me wondering what the fuss was about.

I question the need for a DAC with the Sonos, really. Having tried a Benchmark DAC any improvments were a bit meh really. Less meh with my old SB Classic but this add on DAC business still left me wondering what the fuss was about.

Then decision made even easier (and cheaper) for you. :D

logitech squeezebox if you are comfortable and happy making tweaks to the product to make it sound better (and enjoy doing that) and want to save money

Sonos... if you want to spend more money and are the apple products kind of guy.

Tack on the Rega Dac if the rest of your system is revealing enough.

logitech squeezebox if you are comfortable and happy making tweaks to the product to make it sound better (and enjoy doing that) and want to save money

Sonos... if you want to spend more money and are the apple products kind of guy.

Tack on the Rega Dac if the rest of your system is revealing enough.
Maverick, you just about summed up the whole thread.

I bought a SB touch because I am indeed a Windows kind of guy and I like fiddling with it. Soundwise I expected a landslide victory of my £2k Audiomeca over the flacs but no, it isn't so. I am currently comparing the two, to my ears the differences are subtle. Grateful Dead's Without A Net sounded equally detailed on both devices, Metallica's Nothing Else Matters was also good. Randy Crawford's slightly overdriven vocals on Almaz, though, were more of a problem on the SB - the CD sounded smoother in this case. It looks like the differences are to be sought on bad/difficult recordings. I am open to suggestions by the way.

Just for fun I'll try some WAVs too.

Anyway, thanks for all your replies.

advertisement

Back