advertisement

Nintendo 2DS, 3DS

jay

built for speed
Hi all

Some of you grumps must have kids :)

My 8 year old wants a handheld console but I have little idea on the Nintendo systems. I'd like to pick him up a cheap second one with a few games. Does anyone have a recommendation? We have a 16.5hr flight coming up and I think it'd be a useful distraction!

Thanks in advance.
Jay

My 8 year old daughter has the 2DS and she loves it. She mainly plays Pokemon and Mario Kart games, though the range of games seem to be limited.

My 10 year old daughter still plays with her 3DS, which she got a few years ago, although the iPod Touch tends to get more use now.

Her favourite 3DS game is Animal Crossing, which is one of those virtual world type games where you interact with the other inhabitants, build yourself a house, and so on - probably appeals more to girls than boys. I would say the range of titles is actually quite broad.

The 3DS is a little more expensive than the 2DS, but it folds in the middle, which is better for travelling - more compact and protects the screens. Otherwise they are quite similar.

The 3D function of the 3DS can be turned off in the settings if you don't want it, without affecting playability, at least of any games I've seen. You can also modify things like Wi-Fi connectivity there to protect them from the evil Internet, and set an administrator PIN so your child can't just change things back.

Kind regards

- Garry

Thanks spengenuk, Garry.

I assume there are more games for the latter 3ds system? What is the battery life like and I wonder if you know whether that degrades over time?

Would you still buy the Nintendo system or an iPod touch given the choice? He's very keen on pixel gun, which I don't mind but his Mums not so keen!

J

Thanks spengenuk, Garry.

I assume there are more games for the latter 3ds system?

I think the two are compatible - a game that runs on one will also run on the other. Possibly there are exceptions though, so I would check that to be sure.

The differences I am aware of are
(a) the form factor (3DS folds, 2DS does not).
(b) the 3DS can do 3D and the 2DS cannot (duh!). But as I say, the 3D seems to be just a cool gimmick and you can play the games in 2D fine, at least I never bothered turning on 3D on my daughter's console and she's never complained!

What is the battery life like and I wonder if you know whether that degrades over time?

I think they get a few hours, so you need to take a charger with you. Can't avoid some degradation over time, but it seems to be minimal.

Would you still buy the Nintendo system or an iPod touch given the choice?

The Nintendos focus more on games, although they are also cartridges for drawing, IQ tests and so on. They have 2 small screens, one of which is touch enabled, and built in joystick style controls. It is mostly sold to/for kids.

The iPod Touch is a more general purpose thing and lot of adults have them too. Basically an iPhone that can't make phone calls (although it can do FaceTime over Wi-Fi, which is like Apple Skype), and astonishingly good value when you think of it like that. You can download apps, just like with an iPhone. The touchscreen is good, but there are no physical joysticks or anything like that. Also great for music, and has full iTunes access. Camera and video recording are typical high Apple quality, a class above the Nintendo's.

You can play Minecraft on an iPod Touch! This is something that most kids will spend half their life on if you let them.

As I hinted, at age 10 the Nintendo is definitely on the way out, but the iPod is still considered cool.

All kids are different - mine tend to want to play particular games and don't really consider the hardware that much - they just want the thing that will let them play that game. Actually rather a sensible approach.

He's very keen on pixel gun, which I don't mind but his Mums not so keen!

J

Ah, don't know that one.

Kind regards

- Garry

Should add - the iPod is definitely more fragile than the Nintendo, if that is a consideration. You can partly remedy this with a decent case, I suppose.

Get the XL version if you can, the games look better on it.

My youngest 2 have had loads of fun over the years with their consoles.

I seem to recall my son saying that the 3D bit wasn't too good.

Animal Crossing and Mario Kart were both big hits in my household.

Thanks all (especially Garry for the very detailed breakdown!)

Based on what you're all said I wonder whether the best long term buy will be the iPod touch. I've just been on the Apple site and didn't realise it came in different colours, had the camera, music, etc...

He's playing Minecraft already on my iPad, into music and been playing with an old camera of mine so I think it'll suit him well. Battery life appears excellent too.

What I might do is look out for a 2nd hand 2ds and a couple of games to give him a bit of variety and keep Mum happy!

Thanks all again.

Jay

Its a question of how much people appreciate Nintendo.

Nintendo have done and continue to make some of the best games on the planet. Yes adults can play them too:)

There is a whole other debate if they are losing their way on hardware and third party support.

As a company they have made some strange decisions over the years and other companies have taken advantage to establish a strong position. Competition is in essence good for the consumer though

The arrival of tablets and mobile phone gaming has been a problem for Nintendo but they are now rising to the challenge in a major way

Based on saving money the 2DS would be a good buy. I would go for a 3DS if the money goes that far...perhaps a used one. The XL is the one to go as its the most sensible buy if budget doesnt prevent that

These products fill a market that the tablets dont quite cover. Its too easy to say tablets have mobile gaming covered. They dont!

If you have a branch of CEX (computer exchange) near you, it would be worth popping in & asking for advice. We were in a similar situation a year or so ago & have always found them to be friendly & good with advice on areas such as age appropriateness & internet connectivity requirements ( some games require it, some don't). They usually have a good range of 2nd hand consoles & games as well as taking trade-ins etc.

The 3d is pointless, as above get the XL if you can. Its bigger and really nice to play on..
Have a nose into the R4 cards ;)

Thanks all (especially Garry for the very detailed breakdown!)

You're very welcome Jay.

<snip>
He's playing Minecraft already on my iPad,...
<snip>

As you have an iPad you already know what an iPod Touch is like. It is like a phone-sized iPad. They could have called it the iPad Micro (but I think it came before the iPad).

I had a chat with my son in the car last night and he said that the 3DS is better than the 2DS because it has a faster processor and better screen resolution.

The 3DS also has a better range of games.

Given the choice of 3DS or Ipod Touch he would go for the 3DS without hesitation.

All 3DS games can be played on the 2DS, albeit on a smaller screen. Also the 3DS is around £100 more. 2DS is about £80 with a game. I the 2DS is currently better VFM. The 2DS/3DS days may be limited with the new Nintendo consul which can also be handheld.

our kids got a 2DS each for xmas. they're playing Pokemon Sun or Pokemon Moon on them. I think they're pretty average, though the kids seem to like them. Very proprietary, proprietary chargers, carts etc etc.

advertisement

Back