advertisement

Nikon flash Sb600 or Sb800?

garyi

leave blank
Ideally I would get the 600 as I can afford that but according to the interweb I will not have 'commander mode'

Question is do I need 'commander mode?'

The reason I want a flash is simple, I have two lenses I use now and both are reasonably long, pictures taken with flash results in the lower section being darker where the lens got in the way. On macro its obvious, not that I use it for macro but at normal lengths it results in the lower portion of pictures being ill defined and grainy. its most odd.

Hey Garyi,

I have same issue with the built in flash on my EOS 10D - the Sigma EX lens I use is too big/long and I get a dark circle at the bottom.

I'm currently weighing up either 430EX or 580EX Canon flash units.

In the meantime I bought a Metz CT45 'hammerhead' flash gun - it is a great flash but doesn't do TTL and requires a bit more 'thinking'. Plus you look a bit serious with such a big flashgun.

Anyway - even a 600/800 may not help with some macro photography - that's when you need one of those CSI type ring flash jobbies that go around the end of the lens itself.

Good luck and let us kno how you get on.

Rich

iGary,

May I suggest a good tripod instead of a flash. Or a selection of faster prime lenses.

James

James I rarely use a flash and I Have a prime lens. This is still impossible in my little cob cottage at night time.

Also at a wedding last weekend it was bright sunlight outside making for difficult situations where everything was nice and bright except peoples faces, I needed some fill flash for this as well, and its not working out with the built in flash.

Like it or lump it a flash is handy on occasion. The lenses I am using are reasonably quick at f2.8 any how.

Gary

'Commander mode' is used for controlling several flash guns and firing them remotely, so unless you're planning on doing this, you probably don't need the 800. As I understand it, you only need one 'commander' enabled flash gun and you can use 600s as 'slave' flash guns, so you could buy the 600 now, and then if you wanted to do multi-flash photography later, buy the 800 then (or a camera body with commander capabilities).

Heath

Thanks Heath thats cleared it up for me as they do mention the 600 can be a 'slave'

I doubt very much I would be getting this far into it, so 600 it is.

Super thanks for that. Ken does come over as a bit of a tit doesn't he?

I have an SB-600 on my birthday wish list, time to start some serious hints, including leaving a web page open on an SB-600 in the uk...

Mind you as usual we are being done up the arse here, the 600 in the UK seems to be around the £165-£199 region, about 200 dollars in the US.

Sigh.

Just to confirm, I can reasonably plug this in and use it right? I don't have to start programming the damn thing every time I want to take a shot?

Garyi,
Nikon's flash system is very very good - however, inevitably you can make it as simple or complicated as you want it to be. Unless you've got a very specific application/effect you want to achieve - just plug it in an it'll sort itself out!
Rich

garyi said:
Just to confirm, I can reasonably plug this in and use it right? I don't have to start programming the damn thing every time I want to take a shot?
You still need to select the appropriate aperture, fill-effect, and possibly shutter speed below flash-synch.

I don't doubt the efficacy and convenience of the flash unit, but all shots taken with it (whether fully lit, or partially filled) look synthetic. Far better to invest in a good light meter, some sheets of white cardboard and use the contrast creatively.

You'll still need a good tripod if you're going to take photography seriously.

James

James I thank you for your Vuk-esqu style advice but I am not a professional, I have a tripod and when I want to get candids of my family I am not going to ask them to all look natural whilst I take a light reading and put cardboard everywhere!

Gary - a useful way of softening the light from the flash head is to get a Lumiquest bouncer see
http://www.lumiquest.com/

I use the Pocket Bouncer - it gives a soft almost invisible shadow and a very gentle light, it helps to flatter the subject and further reduces the risk of red eye and harsh reflections as the light source is further away from the axis of the lens.

The press tend to use Stofen diffusers which are smaller and less obtrusive but do lose out on diffusion

Another (cheap!) alternative is a business card stuck to the top of the flash as a small reflector with the head tilted up 45 deg - great outdoors and really softens the flash - lots of pro's do this little trick.
Rich

Some suggestions for diffusers:

1) Stofen (as mentioned in the previous post). Very good IMO, but not the best for overall diffused light.

2) Following on from the 'business card' diffuser, if you have a built-in flash try sticking a couple of Rizla papers on it. Very diffused light, very cheap.

3) Gary Fong's lightsphere (can't remember the link to his site). A ridiculous looking contraption that works like a dream. Great for weddings where you don't want the flash to intrude into a shot.

4) Or you could go all 'Blue Peter' and cut up some plastic bottles, stick them on your flash and see what happens. Use coloured bottles for different lighting effects. I once turned up to shoot a wedding with half a shampoo bottle stuck to my flash - it caused some apprehension till they saw the results :)

For a cheap, compact, quick and non-geeky diffuser, use the one that's built in to the SB600 flash gun. It may not be the best, but it's good enough for most situations.

Heath

I am more worried about scoring the flash at the moment, I keep leaving the web page open on the damn thing and the wife keeps closing it to look at more interesting things.

How does one drop even more significant hints? I told her the pictures she tok were crap ;)

Like 'Oh My God!'

Got my flash today for my Birthday. It is without doubt fantastic.

It is fully compatible with the D50, as long as you are in P mode you don't need to do anything apart from point it where you want it it. I am astounded really. I had no idea what was involved with it. I thought it was just a flash. But as you zoom in and out the flash bulb does as well, I was made up. Suddenly you can see why it costs a bit more.

I have had excellent results, in doors shots suddenly become a viable option, no harsh glare and out of focus element remain so. Out in the wilderness bright light compensation works.

All in all I am well made up. Anyone using a D50 or D70, the SB600 is well worth the outlay.

The only downside is you suddenly realise the limitations of nikons entry SLR. Its easy to say it looks like a D70, but a D70 will control the flash wirelessly, the D50 will not. Its probably something annoying like a firmware restriction or something!

advertisement

Back