advertisement

Nikon Df vs D750

Joe

That's one review I hadn't seen. Likewise I fully get the lack of video etc. As for the controls John B talks about, I'm tempted to try setting aperture from the rear wheel and moving the AF-On button to the Preview button. I felt front sub control would make my finger a little sore. Anyway that's all simple experimentation.

I still rather like the chrome effect version, simply because my FE is chrome so it's meaningful to myself.

I'll be interested to hear what you choose Clive. I've had my replacement D750 since just before Christmas and have been enjoying using it over the holidays. I had a D7000 a few years back and this just feels nice and familiar. IQ is fantastic and i really do like the handling. Mine has the 'flare' issue which i've seen once out of about 600 shots - not a big deal as it's very easy to avoid and an easy fix during a service visit.

I've still got a few weeks to decide whether it's going to be a keeper and just to make sure i've got a Fuji XT1 for a while to help me decide - an interesting little machine and something that will help me decide whether i want to move fully back to a 'big' camera.

I'm sure whether you go for the DF or the 750, you'll end up with a fantastic system either way.

James

Hi James,

The flare issue has been as ever blown out of all proportion, rather like some hifi debates. I think even for affected cameras it's not a big issue. The funny thing is it turns out some people said it didn't exist and others were sure it did, this as you'll know all to well it's because different manufacturers were used for the AF parts so only some users experienced the issue. It looks like flare won't fixed but it's the band at the top of the viewfinder which is the real issue and this will be fixed.

I am vacillating terribly between 750 and Df. There's some reasons for this. I have an unpaid sideline which involves my taking product shots. The flip up screen on the 750 would be very handy though not totally vital. The 750 wifi when travelling would be helpful for sending jpgs by email (phone) without needing a laptop. But there's still something about the Df. I think whichever I chose it will involve a level compromise, which of course is why people have multiple bodies. My other line of logic is to come to terms with ending with two FX bodies, so which do I buy first? The 750 or it's equivalent with always be around so there's no rush to get one. The Df could be culled and not replaced or... there could be a Df II which addresses the odd quirk or at least has AF to match the low light ability of the sensor. So there it is, I continue to vacillate. It'll be February before I'm ready to spend my money so I have time to come to a decision, many times over!

The Fuji might just throw a spanner in the works. It has manual controls like the Df and a moveable screen like the D750.

The more I use mine the more I like it.

The D810 is a fantastic camera though............. ;)

He who dies with the most pixels wins :D ;)

Pete
Being serious for a minute.....I print up to A3 so that's about 24mp though that's arguable but with cropping 36mp could be a good option or perhaps more picky about camera shake whether hand held or tripod. But, both Df and 810 somehow seem to have the better depth and contrast which may be down to DR.

clivem2

You've spent over 2 months on this thread!!! That's two months of not taking pictures with a new camera. Just buy one and get snapping!!!! Specifications and Reviews only help so far, some of the best pictures on this forum have been posted with quite lowly spec cameras, and even iPhones have secured Theme competition wins.

Its not about camera specification, its about how you use it and your capability as a photographer!! You will only really start learning once you have a camera in your hand!!

Best of luck with your (ultimate) selection

Clive,

Honestly, they're all excellent cameras: D610, D750, D800, D810, Df. Just buy one and click away.

Joe

< Jedi mind trick > Df… Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df… Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df… Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df… Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df… Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df… Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df… Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df… Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df… Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df… Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df… Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df… Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df… Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df…Df… < / Jedi mind trick>

Thanks for the mind trick. It might well work.

2 months....yes but whilst my D7000 is not in the same league I get by. There are reasons why I want to wait till Feb to commit and that time frame now fits with the 750 fix. Any of the 3 are viable. Heart says Df, head 750 and 810 nagging away.

But yeah you don't need more than 3 FX cameras in the Nikon consumer brand segment. The D810, D610 and something in-between would be fine. The confusion is over the DF pricing really.

Nikon really only have three consumer FX cameras - 810, 750, and 610. As stated elsewhere the DF really is a niche product that won't really appeal to your average consumer. It looks fantastic and, as someone who worked in a camera store while at university I completely get the appeal, but if I had to choose between the two I would go the the 750. In fact i'm lusting after one right now even though I own a more than capable D7100.

Nikon really only have three consumer FX cameras - 810, 750, and 610. As stated elsewhere the DF really is a niche product that won't really appeal to your average consumer. It looks fantastic and, as someone who worked in a camera store while at university I completely get the appeal, but if I had to choose between the two I would go the the 750. In fact i'm lusting after one right now even though I own a more than capable D7100.

Having just checked on the Nikon website, it looks like they have dropped the distinction between Pro and Consumer in the FX camera series. That said, I reckon you can still draw a line between the cameras that have weather sealing and high frames per second rate and the rest.

I don't really get why the DF, D750 and D610 have such similar pricing. The D810 with a grip attached gives you almost the performance as the old D4 but with more pixels. What does the D750 give you in real terms that you can't get out of the D610 - maybe its the wireless capability?

Touch screen and video? I've never used video on any camera I've ever owned and I have no idea what the point of a touch screen is.

I think there was a question earlier about prints. I've just done a 30"x20" print of this from the Df & Sigma 35 ART. Its on Hahnemuhle William Turner and to my eyes it looks superb. Its uncropped but I rarely crop too much other than to change the aspect ratio.

I was very much in two minds before buying the Df but now I have it I love it. Off to Iceland in a few weeks and I might just take the Df and leave the 800 behind.

There's little doubt that as a pure tool the 610 has to be the best value from the Nikon range. There are deals around making it especially good, it's even possible to get a D600 for less.

The D750 does not have a touch screen btw. The way I view the D750 is as an updated D600 with wifi, better focusing including group AF, flip screen. Had the D600 oil spot debacle not occurred it's possible the D750 would have been the D610.

RE printing, I'm getting good results with my D7000 16MP DX on A3 and on a 65 inch TV (HD, not 4K). Same number of pixels (but larger) with the Df would surely be better than I get now (quite aside from DR and low light improvements which are a given).

Clive,

What manual-focus lenses in F-mount do you have? I know you have the 28mm f/2.8, but I assume if you're a long-time FE shooter you likely have others.

Joe

Clive,

What manual-focus lenses in F-mount do you have? I know you have the 28mm f/2.8, but I assume if you're a long-time FE shooter you likely have others.

Joe
Joe, not many really. It's not that I can't buy optically better modern versions quite inexpensively but I like to handle my AIS lenses:
28mm 2.8
50mm 1.4
85mm 2.0
Tamron 70 - 210 SP (good for 1:2 macro work) 52A
Tamron 2x teleconverter for above
AF 28 - 85 3.5-4.5

I'll end up buying some AF G primes and maybe a walk about zoom if I really feel the need.

There's little doubt that as a pure tool the 610 has to be the best value from the Nikon range. There are deals around making it especially good, it's even possible to get a D600 for less.

The D750 does not have a touch screen btw. The way I view the D750 is as an updated D600 with wifi, better focusing including group AF, flip screen. Had the D600 oil spot debacle not occurred it's possible the D750 would have been the D610.

Agree on all points. My local camera store just ran a deal on the 610 with 24-85 lens for under NZ$2k which, considering the 7100 body is $1.5k, is a fantastic deal. There is clearly downward pressure on the price due to the launch of the 750.

Having just checked on the Nikon website, it looks like they have dropped the distinction between Pro and Consumer in the FX camera series. That said, I reckon you can still draw a line between the cameras that have weather sealing and high frames per second rate and the rest.

Agreed, even the layout, architecture and function buttons (AF-ON on the rear for eg) suggests a split of Pro - D4, 810 // Consumer - 750, 610; with the Df more of a niche product that doesn't quite fit in either camp.

advertisement

Back