advertisement

Nikon Coolscan LS30 advice

FrancisClement

pfm Member
Hi,

I have an old Nikon Coolscan LS30 and wondered how I can use it on a 2016 I Mac to scan some negatives and slides. I know that I need a usb adaptor but will an iMac interface with it?

Or should I just use a Pixel-Latr and Canon 5D?

Any advice welcome.

FF

Once you get the LS30 to interface physically with the iMac, buy a copy of Vuescan from Ed HJamrick - great piece of software, which allows you to use pretty much any scanner made (apart from Drum banners and Hasselblad Flectights)

Another recommendation for Vuescan. If you get the professional version you’ll get free upgrades for life - I bought the software over 20 years ago and haven’t had to pay anything since.

The biggest problem you’re going to have is the interface, I used to have an LS30 and from memory it’s FireWire only. Also the front silvered mirror in the transport can collect dust which needs very careful cleaning.

Hi,

I have an old Nikon Coolscan LS30 and wondered how I can use it on a 2016 I Mac to scan some negatives and slides. I know that I need a usb adaptor but will an iMac interface with it?

Any advice welcome.

FF

I have the more recent Coolscan 4000ED and used it with Vuescan (which is OK if a bit cumbersome) but unfortunately it developed a fault and getting it repaired turned out to be pretty much a non-starter.

In the meantime I have been using my Olympus camera with a cheap lightbox and tripod - surprisingly I find the whole process MUCH easier and actually the results are better IMV.

From memory, the LS30 predates Firewire so interfacing with modern Mac OS might be a problem (although you mention an adapter so maybe sorted)

Incidentally - this is the copy stand I rigged up. The lightbox is a Jessops one I picked up for about £15.
Handily, I had an old tripod with a broken leg so easy to adapt and mount on shelf. Worked fine with my other tripod though.
Masking is black card but I also use one of the strip holders from my Nikon scanner.
I have used a couple of macro rings with a 38mm lens on the Olympus but I guess any macro lens for the Canon would do it.

(..and yes, the curtains do need to be drawn when in use ;) )

50578803268_ba2e86ac6c_b.jpg

advertisement

Back