advertisement

nightclub jazz piano artists

eden

pfm Member
Any recomendations ?
I have patricia Barber but would like some more of this type of piano music.
Something cool, relaxing ambient style jazz.
I have some T Monk but find that a little aggressive for late night chilling :)
Phil

Solo Piano? Or Piano led?

For the latter try Sadao Watanabe - Tokyo Dating or David Newton's Victims of Circumstance (Vinyl available on Linn) will probably suit you as well. Jarrett's Standards Trio on ECM will probably fit the bill as well.

Fox, the album you mention is a SAX led quartet album, which happens to have a great piano player on it. Watanabe is the sax player. I have it, it is great, but there are probably other albums more suitable for the description originally given.

Eden, I dont know patricia barbers music, so it is difficult to know what you want. I dont want you to spend your money on a vague recomendation from me.

Is it improvised music/jazz that you like. Purely instrumental, or any room for vocal or other instruments.

I agree with fox in respect of Dave Newton. If you like vocal , try to find his stuff on Linn with Carole Kidd.
Do you know Dianne Kralls music. check her out

give more of an idea of what you are looking for and we could possibly help more.

You know you're right. I had to check the LP again just now. Its funny I have had this LP for years, and yes you're right Watanabe is the alto lead but I keep hearing the Piano in my minds ear whenever I recall it as James Williams' Piano stands out for me on this and with good reason, go play it now, see what I mean. Maybe its a bassist thing (I only just checked the credits to see Charnette Moffat was on it -- a very solid and understated and background bassist) But I almost don't listen to the other members as Williams has a fascinating piano style on this LP that ingratiates itself and comes to the fore.

James Williams is sadly dead now. Died 4 years ago.

The main problem I have with solo Jazz piano is its so often just noodly new age pap; the supermarket chardonnay of modern music. Solo jazz needs that edge that Monk trademarked otherwise the effect is pretty grim.

Just my 2cents.

I'd recommend Oscar Peterson and Bill Evans as a suitable starting point. Pretty much anything of their 50s and 60s output is worth listening to. Duke Elington's piano playing is wonderful too.

Tony.

Tony is on the money of course.

To be more specific, Bill Evans' Sunday at the Village Vanguard and Waltz for Debbie, from the same sessions. Or you can get all the tracks from both plus (unnecessary?) extra takes sequenced in the order they were played on the day collected in The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings, 1961.

Fabulous music with the occasional chink of glasses just audible in the background (unlikey to have been supermarket Chardonnay).

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
ok a little more detail - possibly.
I do have some Ellington which I love, but its big band style, fine for dance, and bopping around, I do have some Bill Evans and yes thats great too, but maybe a little depressing/sad ?
So I cant quite put my finger on it, but imagine a smoky dimly lit nightclub in the 60's and the chinking of glasses, then strikes up the band a cool sounding piano led band, maybe a trio maybe more, maybe a little vocal thrown in from time to time.
THats the sort of style I am looking for ?
Phil

Fox, I agree with you about James Williams. It is Watanabe's albumn, but he is the weakest link. The music is much more tame and "inside" when he is playing and comes alive when he stops soloing and leaves the Rhythm section on their own. It is years since I played it, but will dig it out and have a relisten. thanks for the prompt.

Eden, try some Oscar Peterson. any of the trio things from 50's or 60's. There is a great one called "Night Train" ( I think, dont hold me to that, Im on holiday just now!!) which is fantastic. Swings like crazy!

He also did some duos with sax or trumpet players. really great.

Piano with possibly some vocal? try early Nat King Cole.

happy hunting!

I would second the Oscar Peterson Trio (early trio - Ray Brown and Ed Thigpen) - specifically Night Train and We Get Requests.

Charles Mingus, Mingus Plays Piano. Every time I play this record I want to stand moodily at the bar until some dame comes and asks me for a light and stays long enough to irritate me with some stupid questions whilst staring straight into my soul with he big blues. It was clear Johnny wasn't going to make the Blue Pelican tonight. So I decided to leave before I ended up with another bad head. Or another good wife. I motioned the barman over, added two packets of Luckys to the tab and paid it. Then back out into the rain.

McCoy Tyner

I would try some of his seventies albums for starter(s) - if it works for you you could continue exploring some of his earlier (Coltrane period) stuff. All excellent music IMO

Carl

thanks for the suggestions I will follow them up.
I do have a lot of coltrane with McCoy Tyner and love them. I must look out his leads.
Oscar Peterson I am not sure about - he's a bit "tinkly" on the stuff I heard but this was late stuff. I will try the 60;s stuff.
Phil

Anything by Earl Hines or Art Tatum might fit the bill - predecessors of Oscar Peterson et al, easy to get into and both swing like f**k.

I'd second SSB, I quite like listening to 'Air Above Mountains' on headphones late at night. You should try it.

BTW, OT, but anyone see that 30 Minutes of Oscar Peterson & Barney Kessel from '74 on BBC4 last week? Jawdropping, never seen a musician sweat so much.

Charles Mingus, Mingus Plays Piano. Every time I play this record I want to stand moodily at the bar until some dame comes and asks me for a light and stays long enough to irritate me with some stupid questions whilst staring straight into my soul with he big blues. It was clear Johnny wasn't going to make the Blue Pelican tonight. So I decided to leave before I ended up with another bad head. Or another good wife. I motioned the barman over, added two packets of Luckys to the tab and paid it. Then back out into the rain.[/QUOTE]

Lovely picture - bang on the nail.
I love some Tom Waits stuff which I think you just captured :)
Phil

advertisement

Back