advertisement

nice system or rubbish

Hmm, it doesn't score too highly on domestic acceptability, does it? Bit of a walk from the record shelves to the turntable, you'd end up with a dirty great stack on the side.

I like heavy engineering , but even that stuff would push my domestic acceptability levels..this from a man who has a Variac and some pistons sat in his living room.

Awesome. But according to some here, all old technology is too far behind the times to be any good, so that would make this lot junk worth about 10p.

Oh really.

Or alternatively, they don't make 'em like they used to do, so nothing made now is any good at all, especially if it's cheap. Your computer was £400? It's shit. At that price it can't be any good. Technology never moves on. Excuse me, I'm going to rebalance the carbs on my Triumph parallel twin, and I should get another 10,000 miles before I have to replace the bearings, maybe more.

Oh really.

I bet it sounds like a full on orchestra with the right music. A wall of sound is a wall of sound after all.

Check out the cafe. In the UK we are complete amateurs when it comes to audio kit. Cafes too.

Tony.

"Kissa" cafes like these can be found all over in Japan although they are a dying breed. Given the premium on space, they are tiny compared to the loft like space of the one in the video. Usually they have tons of music (vinyl especially) and pretty cool gear.

Joel recently took me to one in his neighborhood where they had custom made horns and electronics (can't remember the make). I also went to an old jazz cafe in downtown Tokyo crammed into a tiny wedge-like space overlooking the street. LPs were spun on a Garrard 401 via a JBL amp (!) and pair of old speakers I didn't recognize. Pretty damned fine it sounded too.

http://www.inpraiseofizakaya.com/in-praise-of-izakaya/2009/8/19/volontaire-jingu-mae.html

advertisement

Back