advertisement

NHS.

NHS spending is about £100bn per annum, the nuclear deterrent runs at about £2.5bn. The NHS has wasted at least £10bn on failing to build a computer system.

I'm not sure there is much future in debating the two together.

Paul

The centrally funded free at the point of consumption NHS model is unsustainable in the long term. Demand and cost increases will always outsrip economic growth and the public's willingness pay for it through increased taxes.

The centrally funded free at the point of consumption NHS model is unsustainable in the long term. Demand and cost increases will always outsrip economic growth and the public's willingness pay for it through increased taxes.

Mmmm just think of all those babyboomers needing parts replaced in 10 years time! Then 20...then 30....40......

And neither will the growing underclass or growing unemployed working and middle classes.

Clusterf*ck or national disgrace ahoy!

Ever get the feeling no one has a long term plan in place?

Still martial law will be in place long before then.

The launch system is entirely self contained on board. .....
The US as no role, otherwise it woud not be an independent deterrent,which is what s needed.

Jo, I can assure you that you are wrong - the boat is run by Brits but the missile system is not. Hence it is not an independent deterrent, which is one of the points I made in my earlier post. Our politicians of all parties 'pretend' that we have a finger on the nuclear button for 'vanity' reasons (seat at the top table and it suits our 'friends' across the pond) but it ain't really true. Do you know any nuclear sub-mariners that you could ask?
Dave.

Pass a law to let the hundreds if not thousands of elderly skeletal ladies whose minds left the building many years ago to be able to be 'let go' with a modicum of dignity.

If you kept a pet like that, you'd go to prison.

Genius!

Well. barking mad which is close.

My old Mum turned 90 last week. She has Alzheimer's, is far from skeletal and is living happily in a home where 'now' is really all that matters to her.

And you didn't mention the men.

Somewhat mysoginistic wouldn't you say?

Genius!

Well. barking mad which is close.

My old Mum turned 90 last week. She has Alzheimer's, is far from skeletal and is living happily in a home where 'now' is really all that matters to her.

And you didn't mention the men.

Somewhat mysoginistic wouldn't you say?

Yeah probably.

Still it'll happen so sit back and wait. I wouldn't want my parents last few years laying in a bed in pain or just staring into the distance not knowing who I am. Bloody pointless and cruel.

Differs from case to case however, I'm not saying it's Logan's Run for the the over 80's.

Well more Old Dolly's Shuffle I guess.

Paid it for 50 years though which helped to cover the safe arrival of those self centred younger ones into the world :) .
Dave.

True, but it's 'pay-as-you-go', and at the moment its all 'go' and not enough 'pay' as the population ages.

True, but it's 'pay-as-you-go', and at the moment its all 'go' and not enough 'pay' as the population ages.

When I first was 'persuaded' to pay for this many years ago it was called 'National Health Insurance', repeat, Insurance. With insurance schemes the arrangement is that you pay into it and claim on it when you meet the criteria for claiming, in this case need outside medical care. If any government were to openly confess that, irrespective of your needs, you cannot claim after you reach a certain age I think there would be a very vigorous public reaction. To avoid this they are trying to slide it in under the radar and it seems to be being quietly encouraged by some of our more selfish younger members of the population - perhaps they ought to consider what will happen if and when they reach that cut-off age.
Here's a thought - even badly emaciated old bodies contain enough fat to burn readily in the right circumstances I understand - could be a partial answer to fulfilling the need for renewable sources of energy and kill two birds with one stone ;) .
Dave.

Mmm, thinking further it might be that they have already started taking steps to hurry suitable potential fuel candidates along the way - anybody remember the Liverpool Care Pathway and the (very) odd rogue GPs who helped individual candidates on their way?
Dave.

Do you know any nuclear sub-mariners that you could ask?
Dave.

I do indeed..a friend who commanded a missile boat for several years, but I don't need to ask him!

The missile itself is a US design, the warheads are UK designed and built ( and I have stood next to several of them in a UK weapons facility).

The whole point of an independent deterrent in the hands of UK and France was critical to NATO strategy; that if Russia used nuclear weapons only in Europe the americans might not commit their weapons in retaliation. But the Russian calculation became far more complex and uncertain if they knew that 2 european powers had their own second strike systems out of US control.

The NHS is a huge moribund sclerotic money pit, totally unsustainable in it's current form.

Free at the point of use is unsustainable.

Chris

Yeah probably.

Still it'll happen so sit back and wait. I wouldn't want my parents last few years laying in a bed in pain or just staring into the distance not knowing who I am. Bloody pointless and cruel.

Differs from case to case however, I'm not saying it's Logan's Run for the the over 80's.

Well more Old Dolly's Shuffle I guess.

Me neither, though I think that so long as they remain lucid, the choice should be theirs.

I think Chris is fairly close to the mark.
The NHS has become a very bloated job creation scheme and in doing so it is becoming even more inefficient at providing its core services.
It could be solved fairly easily IMHO but the unions would scream very loudly and the public would be scared shitless and the outcry would put paid to any real change. Pressure groups such as the Patient's Association would have a field day.

Simon

advertisement

Back