advertisement

NFL brawl and punishment

vuk

\o/ choose anarchy

keep a close eye at ~1:47 mark. rudolph actually starts the whole helmet-taking thing and is as successful as he was passing all night.

@matthewr : you are the expert here. is the punishment lopsided?

Simple. Should be banned from ever playing a professional game again.

garret has been banned for the rest of the season (6 games + unlikely playoffs). pouncey suspended for 3 games. mason rudolph -- no fine or suspension.

Last edited:
garret has been banned for the rest of the season (4 games + unlikely playoffs). pouncey suspended for 3 games. mason -- no fine or suspension.

He's been banned for at least that, and before he can return he will have to get the commissioner's support to return to the game next year or be booted out for good. This is very much in the balance and he will need to say and do all the right things between now and then. In his favour is that he has previously been of good character, against him is the fact that the NFL got caught out rubber stamping the return of athletes after high profile incidents and this might prove to much and be the end of his career.

As to the not starting it thing -- he committed two cardinal sins in that he 1) reacted to the reaction and 2) used his helmet as a weapon. There are frequent coming togethers after the play in the NFL and as long as it stops at the first bit of pushing and shoving and everyone calms down then this is deemed part of the game. But if you carry it on and respond after the split second where everyone gets to calm down then you get the blame. You see this all the time where there is some pushing and shoving after the play and the guy who started it gets let off and the guy who responds gets the 15 yard personal foul.

Reactions: vuk
@matthewr

yeah, i get all that but, as bad as what unfolded was, rudolph didn't just "start" it, he clearly tried to pull off garrett's helmet.

as a lifelong browns fan (one of those fever pitch things as a teenager), i clearly picked the wrong year to get back into all this.

btw -- it's difficult for me to imagine a guy like freddie kitchens understanding all that complicated stuff you say it takes to coach an NFL team ;-)

EDIT above: 6 remaining games, not 4.

I thought Rudolph got off lightly, it looks obvious to me that he tries to pull off Garrett’s helmet at the start of it all.

is the punishment lopsided?
The NFL has odd rules IMO. Double standards and a Wild West judgement too:

"Gronk" suspended for one game. Tre’Davious White with a concussion too after that.

#StillWithKap

should be an interesting rematch in pittsburgh tomorrow (sunday 1st dec).

go browns!

Rudolph probably should have gotten some kind of punishment out of it really. As mentioned above, too many double standards etc., plus with the ever importance of protecting the quarterback, some judgement calls err on the wrong side at times.

I love American(?) football, but NFL these days often is as about as much fun as watching paint dry. Two minutes of some kind of action, then ten minutes of TV adds. Give me college football any day. In fact, I would rather watch Canadian football over the best day of NFL games!

Rudolph probably should have gotten some kind of punishment out of it really.

they probably felt sorry for him with respect to his incompetence as player (and brawler). he's actually no longer the starting quarterback as of a few days ago.

I love American(?) football, but NFL these days often is as about as much fun as watching paint dry. Two minutes of some kind of action, then ten minutes of TV adds. Give me college football any day. In fact, I would rather watch Canadian football over the best day of NFL games!

all the stoppages and commercials are a large part of made me give it all up years ago. i have been watching the occasional game this year, but mainly catching up with the excellent NFL summary videos that present all you actually need or want to see in roughly 12 minutes. for example, from this thursday:

Yes. That is what I normally check out, even if I can be bothered with that. Sad part is that in my city, we do have a good team with the Colts, but for whatever reason, it is so difficult to stay interested. NFL, what I have termed the “No Fun League”.

Ravens vs 49ers tonight was gripping stuff, but will look terrible on highlights. I am all in on Lamar Jackson.

I rarely watch a specific NFL game live anymore, and for the reasons stated above. Games are too long, and there are too many commercial breaks.

If you are lucky enough to have the NFL Network in your TV package, the NFL Redzone is an good alternative way to watch. No commercials, they constantly flip among all live games, and focus on the biggest games, drives and scores. Baltimore/San Francisco seemed to get the majority of air time today.

Ravens vs 49ers tonight was gripping stuff, but will look terrible on highlights. I am all in on Lamar Jackson.

Jackson is an amazing athlete. Reminds me a little of Michael Vick, but Jackson is a much better passer (and I hope, kinder to dogs).

advertisement

Back