advertisement

Next DAC: Marantz HD DAC1 or Audiolab M-DAC Plus, or other?

I just got a Rega Dac R and I am really pleased with the sound and options. Build quality and sound is outstanding in this Price range.
Or else there is also the Nice Exposure dac.

The March dac1 for me beats anything on that list, and dacs I’ve heard from chord or naim ndac. It’s very cheap too. Only downside is it’s usb only input so depends on source compatibility too

If you are spending around £1,000 I could recommend the Schiit Gungnir Mulitbit. A superb DAC in my opinion.

The March dac1 for me beats anything on that list, and dacs I’ve heard from chord or naim ndac. It’s very cheap too. Only downside is it’s usb only input so depends on source compatibility too

They look like a bargain. How did you find it compared to the ISO-DAC? Or the Exogal for that matter?

At least demo the Rega DAC R. Most ‘natural’ sounding DAC I’ve heard at anywhere near a sensible price.

If you can live without 24/196 on the sub input then the original Rega DAC is essentially the same unit and can be found for a very good price these days. Lovely sounding thing.

The What HiFi review of the Rega DAC-R says that the perfomance is let down by the USB input. Has anybody found this to be true? I will mainly be using the USB input from a laptop/computer.

Usb should be the ideal input for any good quality dac. If it’s not then something lacking in the dacs implementation of it, normally with less recent dacs. All the ones I’ve tried over the last few years has done usb I put very well and either is the only option, or the best of the bunch

The What HiFi review of the Rega DAC-R says that the perfomance is let down by the USB input. Has anybody found this to be true? I will mainly be using the USB input from a laptop/computer.

The original Rega DAC (non-R) is fine by usb but doesn’t go to 24/196. The R has a better usb implementation and does.

What HiFi are not the most reliable of witnesses to be fair :)

Audition some options and trust your ears and not someone else’s opinion.

I've had an M-DAC for a few months now sat between my Node 2 and my amp, listening mostly to my own flacs and Tidal, couldn't be happier, cant see myself changing it any time soon. I listen mostly to metal but lots of different styles as well, definitely adds the zest and excitement that was missing from the on board dac of the Node. Myself, I couldn't justify going above £500 and this fits perfectly, and although you don't need it, the headphone amp is stellar as well!

I've had an M-DAC for a few months now sat between my Node 2 and my amp, listening mostly to my own flacs and Tidal, couldn't be happier, cant see myself changing it any time soon. I listen mostly to metal but lots of different styles as well, definitely adds the zest and excitement that was missing from the on board dac of the Node. Myself, I couldn't justify going above £500 and this fits perfectly, and although you don't need it, the headphone amp is stellar as well!

Is that the original M-DAC or the newer M-DAC Plus?

Used to own the M DAC+, but changed for an RME ADI2... as much as I liked the Audiolab, the RME added more weight and slam to the base

I bought one of those and had to return it because of a faulty power supply. It's VERY complicated to use in terms of the menu system.

Agreed, it's complicated. But it's more of a set and forget for most options.

I think I just ran out of patience trying to figure it out. Things that are that complex (particularly when they are supposed to be simple) don't tend to last long with me. :)

Pity, as it does seem well regarded and I have been after a decent DAC/Amp for headphone duties for a while. Have just been trying to suss out which would be the best one.

I think I just ran out of patience trying to figure it out. Things that are that complex (particularly when they are supposed to be simple) don't tend to last long with me. :)

Pity, as it does seem well regarded and I have been after a decent DAC/Amp for headphone duties for a while. Have just been trying to suss out which would be the best one.

Oh I totally see where you are coming from. In my case the flexibility was worth the faff. However, it would be vastly improved if the options could be easily manipulated via an external input, i.e. pc over usb.

advertisement

Back