advertisement

Newer Exposure Pre with Older Exposure Amp?

stackowax

pfm Member
Does anybody know if a Exposure 3010S preamp will work well with XVI monos? I have a recollection that the newer amps have more gain than the older ones so they've reduced the gain in the preamps. I think this might mean the new stuff may not match well with the older gear.

Does anybody know if a Exposure 3010S preamp will work well with XVI monos? I have a recollection that the newer amps have more gain than the older ones so they've reduced the gain in the preamps. I think this might mean the new stuff may not match well with the older gear.

You need a 21 or a 14/9 to make those 16's sing.

Full agree.

I once read that along side with the 16 monos, the 21 was Farlowe's most accomplished piece of equipment. If you don't need phono and want a remote, I frankly can't see why you would need anything else. Plus it matches the 16 much better than anything else. I own a 17, 14/9 and 21 and have tried them all with my 16's.

I've had the 17, 14/9, 21 and 23 pre-amps alongside my 16 Monos: the MCX pre is in another league in comparison. In fact, the order above is how I'd rate them, from good to best. All IMO, of course.

I've not heard the 3010S2, but it would certainly be worth getting a demo if possible.

I've had the 17, 14/9, 21 and 23 pre-amps alongside my 16 Monos: the MCX pre is in another league in comparison. In fact, the order above is how I'd rate them, from good to best. All IMO, of course

Interesting, so you rate the 23 higher than the 21?

I've been re-evaluating the 21 against the MCX with my 16 monos. They are quite different presentations. The MCX is certainly the better preamp in a hi fi sense - more detail, more tonal accuracy, and more natural soundstage. But the 21 has a kind of immediacy and musicality that is also very appealing. I'm sure I could happily live with either.

I've been re-evaluating the 21 against the MCX with my 16 monos. They are quite different presentations. The MCX is certainly the better preamp in a hi fi sense - more detail, more tonal accuracy, and more natural soundstage. But the 21 has a kind of immediacy and musicality that is also very appealing. I'm sure I could happily live with either.

And it looks a lot better! I find the MCX kind of fugly

Had the XXI for several months and could not live with the brightness. It cut my ears. After several weeks of usage without shutting it down, the "brightness" did mellow a bit but still too much for me. Very happy with XI/XI.

I did prefer the 23 to the 21: in my experience, the 21 had an 'immediacy' that could sometimes seem harsh; the 23 was more civilised and even handed. I'm sure ancillary equipment plays a part, but I was certainly happier with the 23 long-term.

I agree with the qualities you attach to the MCX: for me, it has the knack of getting to the heart of a performance, whereas the 23 was sometimes more vague. I never got the chance to compare the 21 against the MCX though.

I've been comparing my 21 and MCX again tonight, and thrown in my Tron 7 linestage for good measure.

The 21 has an engaging quality, but in direct comparison with the other preamps it lacks absolute transparency. There is a kind of congestion and subtle distortion that only becomes apparent in direct comparison. It is also a little warmer than the other two. The MCX sounds bigger, quieter, more transparent, but just a hair less immediate. The Tron is somewhere in between - a shade more up front than the MCX, a bit more transparent and quieter (surprisingly for a tube design) than the 21, but ultimately the MCX is better.

I opened my MCX up to see if I could remove the corner pillars. Although they are only held on by a single bolt, access to the bolt is severely limited by the components, so I don't think I will be able to remove mine.

I told Tony that I didn't want the corners: without the full MCX stack they didn't make much sense to me. Therefore mine were not installed at construction stage: it looks like they're not obviously removable.

The Tron is somewhere in between - a shade more up front than the MCX, a bit more transparent and quieter (surprisingly for a tube design) than the 21, but ultimately the MCX is better.

Tron 7 linestage has several models. Is yours the entry model or few models up in the hierarchy?

The Exposure 3010S2D Pre adding the DAC board would be my choice.

Peter

advertisement

Back