advertisement

New Wallander (Swedish)

Mongeddavid

pfm Member
Just a heads up if anyone is interested but the new series of Wallander ( Krister Henrickson) is out. Happy days for me

What do you mean by 'out'?
I watched the recent 'Fifth Woman' one on the telly. It was pretty good except for way too much use of grainy/washed out/trendy/arty camerawork. I quite like to see what is happening when I am watching things visually with my eyes on the TV.

The current Wallanders being shown are the oldest ones, with Rolf Lassgård as Wallander - they were made back in the 90's which explains the dodgy camerawork.

Look forward to the new ones getting the subtitle treatment!

Wallander has been made with 3 different actors (UK) Brannagh (Sweden) Lassgard and (Sweden) Henriksen.

The latter has a new series out and the first episode is based on the last novel. I enjoyed this portrayal the most despite the fact that previously only one episode was based on a Mankell book. In fact it was the death by suicide of the rather wonderful actress playing Linda Wallander in series 1 that partly led Mankell's decision in ending the Wallander Novels.

Anyway the first episode of season 3 is out there with some reasonable if sometimes flaky subtitles

What do you mean by 'out'?
I watched the recent 'Fifth Woman' one on the telly. It was pretty good except for way too much use of grainy/washed out/trendy/arty camerawork. I quite like to see what is happening when I am watching things visually with my eyes on the TV.

I think those episodes said more about how the Germans perceived the Swedes than anything else, as they were made for German TV

Rolf's portrayal is in some ways closer to the Wallander of the books than the other interpretations.

Rolf's portrayal is in some ways closer to the Wallander of the books than the other interpretations.

I would agree with that and despite some fairly poor direction in parts the films are generally solid and entertaining. Incidentally i have just watched the second episode (season 3) of Henricksons Wallander and it was very good. It is missing a touch of the humor and character interaction of the first two seasons but I imagine thats by design due to the nature of the last novel.

Not on the bbc at the mo

Sorry, I thought it was understood that it is being shown in Sweden and therefore we can expect a showing in the UK in a while.

There is a new kenny series also on the beeb, but this will be prime time. I do enjoy his version as well. (Although Warner playing his father was outstanding.)

advertisement

Back