advertisement

New vs old Rega 3

an original Planar 3 and indeed the P3 2000 is a lovely thing. They’re just so well presented, form follows function beautifully... I kind of wish I still had an original Planar 3 here.

I think the Planar3/RB300 is a stone cold classic and close to the perfect product. I missed having one so much I bought another, just to have one. It didn't get used for years so I sold it, regretted it and bought another! This one I'm keeping. And keeping totally stock.

As to the original question, I haven't heard the newer P3s but I've had a bunch of P1/RP1 turntables. In my opinion, the P1 is pretty close to an old Planar3. They don't sound the same but the P1 sounds just as good.

OK, the build quality on the P1 is drastic compared to the old timer but it gives you an idea of how Rega have improved the technology. They are continually inventing new ways to get more performance for less money.

So has there been a change in the Rega house-sound, maybe akin to recent and past LP12s? Do some folk prefer the old stuff, or are their new products way ahead?

I think the Planar3/RB300 is a stone cold classic and close to the perfect product. I missed having one so much I bought another, just to have one. It didn't get used for years so I sold it, regretted it and bought another! This one I'm keeping. And keeping totally stock.
I suggested "trying" a machined alloy subplatter. Just to get a taste of things. You can swap it and the plastic one around very readily, and you don't have to keep it.

So has there been a change in the Rega house-sound, maybe akin to recent and past LP12s?

It sounds like it doesn't it?

I suggested "trying" a machined alloy subplatter. Just to get a taste of things.

The Planar3 is in the shed system so getting the best sound out of it is not a priority. And I have an RP10 in the house so I don't have a reason to develop the Planar. I'm sure the Planar has much more to give though. It was hardly terrible sounding in the first place.

I have a soft spot for the Planar 25

I have one - it's effectively a pimped P3.

IMO you can't really go wrong with the original Planar 3 with R200 or the first version using the the RB300.
If you park your years of opinion seeking, comparisons and tweaking, the original Planar is good enough (though far from perfect) in all areas to stop thoughts of 'if only it did this or that better'.
It does enough right and nothing obviously wrong.

The looks are iconic - that slim black base with the glass platter appearing to float above, and the contrast of the bright metalwork of the R200 - beautiful.

The primary weakness is the motor mount on the originals. The belt suspended motor minimises noise transmission but allows movement between the motor position and hub which is not ideal.
If there is one upgrade I'd do to an early Planar it's the low voltage fixed motor kit, an upgrade sanctioned by Rega.

As to the original question, I haven't heard the newer P3s but I've had a bunch of P1/RP1 turntables. In my opinion, the P1 is pretty close to an old Planar3. They don't sound the same but the P1 sounds just as good.

OK, the build quality on the P1 is drastic compared to the old timer but it gives you an idea of how Rega have improved the technology. They are continually inventing new ways to get more performance for less money.
This totally matches my experience and sentiments.

I’ve bought a few Planar 3s, sold them, regretted it and, well you know the cycle... the same goes for the LK era Linn Majik I, lovely product, and the perfect partner for a Planar 3, with something like Epos ES11/14, any Royd speaker or Linn Turkans/Katans/Keilidhs/Ninkas... the only problem with linn speakers in the above setup is that you start shopping for active card, power amps... and the cycle continues.

IMO you can't really go wrong with the original Planar 3 with R200 or the first version using the the RB300.
If you park your years of opinion seeking, comparisons and tweaking, the original Planar is good enough (though far from perfect) in all areas to stop thoughts of 'if only it did this or that better'.
It does enough right and nothing obviously wrong.

The looks are iconic - that slim black base with the glass platter appearing to float above, and the contrast of the bright metalwork of the R200 - beautiful.

The primary weakness is the motor mount on the originals. The belt suspended motor minimises noise transmission but allows movement between the motor position and hub which is not ideal.
If there is one upgrade I'd do to an early Planar it's the low voltage fixed motor kit, an upgrade sanctioned by Rega.
Always liked the look of the P25 and Ken Kessler loved his.

So has there been a change in the Rega house-sound, maybe akin to recent and past LP12s? Do some folk prefer the old stuff, or are their new products way ahead?

I'd take new every time! (I think Rega call the change 'evolution'). While I love the simplicity of the present Planar 2, I think the ultimate Planar would be the 6 (not sure if the skeletal designs are really Planars IYSWIM).

While I love the simplicity of the present Planar 2, I think the ultimate Planar would be the 6 (not sure if the skeletal designs are really Planars IYSWIM).

I think all of Rega's decks are linear developments on the ones lower in the range. None of them are radically different.

I run an 80s planar 3 with rb300. And original motor. Tried various 'upgrades' in the past. Including Aluminium hub and acrylic platter. Did that changing one component at a time, all felt a bit audiofool and I was listening for differences in sound from stock rather than listening to music without a care and enjoying.

I will say though that for the two upgrades I've mentioned both caused records to sound more clean and clear. For me this wasn't a good thing as it lost that analogue damped sound that you get with the felt mat and glass platter. I thought to myself this sounds more like a CD player. Not where I wanted to be and it was too big a change from the analogue sound I was used to. So they were sold on and I kept it stock. Just my experience.

I think I sold mine to somebody here - i can't remember. I had modded it quite a bit and ran it with a Heed P/S. The dealer gave me a deal on his demo model as he had no planar 3s in stock when I wanted one. Audio Republic (actually the previous shop but I forget what it was called) - haven't been there in years, great shop ;)

I run an 80s planar 3 with rb300. And original motor. Tried various 'upgrades' in the past. Including Aluminium hub and acrylic platter. Did that changing one component at a time, all felt a bit audiofool and I was listening for differences in sound from stock rather than listening to music without a care and enjoying.

I will say though that for the two upgrades I've mentioned both caused records to sound more clean and clear. For me this wasn't a good thing as it lost that analogue damped sound that you get with the felt mat and glass platter. I thought to myself this sounds more like a CD player. Not where I wanted to be and it was too big a change from the analogue sound I was used to. So they were sold on and I kept it stock. Just my experience.
Fair enough. I prefer my analogue and digital sources to sound similar. The stock 3 is too coloured for me. I'll admit that in isolation the 3 makes a satisfying listen. It just ain’t exactly the last word in hi-fi.

On changing the subplatter in particular, I didn't listen so much for differences as hear a transformation I liked instantly. A certain rambunctiousness replaced by a quiet mature confidence. Night and day; a whole new deck.

Last edited:
I am being extremely picky here, the only thing I do not like in the current 3 is the shiny plinth, I liked the matte black by far. That’s about it, so really, no complaints! Great stuff from Rega at sensible prices these days.

oh, and I really always loved the looks of the P25 and P9, nice!

I have a Planar 3 RB300 all original apart from cabling replacement and an Audio Technica stylus on the Linn cartridge. Does anyone know how to date them by the serial number?? This is 214### vintage

advertisement

Back