advertisement

New vinyl

puddlesplasher

pfm Member
I don't know If this should be in the music section but let's see. I bought a new record and it plays fine but slightly warped. Should I keep it or return for a replacement. I'm not sure if I'm being too fussy or reasonable due to the higher cost of records over cd. I haven't bought many new records over the past years due to poor quality. I prefer to buy older used records as I find condition to be better and new material on cd.

I'm sending them back.
Lately I'm also sending back any new LP that comes with damage to the cover, and every MFSL issue that will come with that awful tear to the top or bottom spline. I convinced myself that it's actually my obligation to do so - if everybody would do the same... perhaps the companies would figure out how to make decent products. That's my view of Kantian imperative on record shoping.

I think you should always return faulty records.

I had an LP for Christmas that had a fault whereby the label wasn't attached properly to the record and was bubbled up, almost coming off. We sent it back, only for the replacement to be warped and I mean warped! The most warped LP I've ever come across! We're still awaiting a replacement.

I have some sympathy for small independent dealers, but most of the time, a cursory look before items are packed (I always request that LPs in shrink wrap are opened and mailed with the vinyl and outer sleeve separate), would save a lot of these issues. I remember an album that I received through the post with a really badly damaged sleeve. The shop tried to protest that it got damaged in transit, but the point was that it was sandwiched between two other LPs, which were fine, so it must have been packed in a damaged state.

Apart from the fact that damaged goods should always be returned, the other point to remember is that when you sell second hand vinyl, buyers expect the LPs to be in near perfect condition, with no folds or rips to the sleeve, so why should we be expected to buy new LPs that don’t meet this criteria?

Having said that, I do put up with LPs with minor warps; its down to you to judge if the LP you have is acceptable.

" ..tend to buy newer stuff on CD"

I do too but thats mainly because newer stuff is less likely found on vinyl.

CD is a bit more of a homogeneous product than vinyl, also in its favour.

Vinyl lovers still have to put up with the old fashioned QC issues unfortunately.

advertisement

Back