advertisement

New Turntable Purchase in the last 10 years...

If you purchased a new turntable in the last 10 years what was its retail price:

• <£500

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • <£1000

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • <£3000

Votes: 45 39.5%
  • <£5000

Votes: 26 22.8%
  • <£10000

Votes: 13 11.4%
  • <£20000

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • <£30000

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • above £30000

Votes: 4 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GT

pfm Member
If you purchased a turntable in the last 10 years could you please mark the box most relevant above?
This is in regard to new turntable purchases, not used ones. Thanks

P.S. the scale used > = up to £xxxx, not greater than £xxxx

Last edited:
As a ex-computer programmer I was sufficiently triggered and have flipped the symbols. Makes sense to me now (< less than, > greater than).

PS I actually did buy a new turntable a few years ago (an SL1200G) so I can actually join in! I didn’t keep it though. I’d also argue restored classics have a high value, the boutique refurbishers certainly charge £4k and upwards for TD-124s in arguably less well sorted condition than mine. I’ve just ticked for the 1200G though.

<£10K for a new NA Dais and a new Brinkmann 10.0 tonearm (rrp would be £7,600 approx) if I add the cartridge, a new Hana ML that's another £1K, (I haven't added the value of my old Hadcock & Shure combo)
Should the price on the phonostage be considered as well as it generally requires one to make an analogue front end?

You seem to forget the high end turntable market pretty much finished years ago. I would say around 2010 when most people interested in analogue had already bought their last turntable. There has been sales in the budget area and some mid fi turntables sold since to 40-50 year olds, but not a lot else...

?

@G T Audio I did wonder after reading your comments on the Solstice thread if you thought that no high end Turntables were being manufactured and you considered the current offerings from Michell, SME, NA, Brinkmann, Reed, VPI and Clearaudio to be all budget or mid fi or if you just thought that nobody was buying them?

An acquaintance of mine has just put together a 'new' Garrard 301 in the region of 10K, another recently bought a Brinkmann Taurus, probably in around £20K including the tonearm and PSU, another has recently bought a large Reed TT with two Reed tonearms, these guys are all in around my age or younger, <50.

<£10K for a new NA Dais and a new Brinkmann 10.0 tonearm (rrp would be £7,600 approx) if I add the cartridge, a new Hana ML that's another £1K, (I haven't added the value of my old Hadcock & Shure combo)
Should the price on the phonostage be considered as well as it generally requires one to make an analogue front end?

I did wonder after reading your comments on the Solstice thread if you thought that no high end Turntables were being manufactured and you considered the current offerings from Michell, SME, NA, Brinkmann, Reed, VPI and Clearaudio to be all budget or mid fi or if you just thought that nobody was buying them?

An acquaintance of mine has just put together a 'new' Garrard 301 in the region of 10K, another recently bought a Brinkmann Taurus, probably in around £20K including the tonearm and PSU, another has recently bought a large Reed TT with two Reed tonearms, these guys are all in around my age or younger, <50.

i think for a person who charges ‘starting at’ £3500 for a self made DAC, he probably does feel most TT in the general mainstream like Michell etc are budget.

I did wonder after reading your comments on the Solstice thread if you thought that no high end Turntables were being manufactured and you considered the current offerings from Michell, SME, NA, Brinkmann, Reed, VPI and Clearaudio to be all budget or mid fi or if you just thought that nobody was buying them?

I was only interested in turntable purchases but I acknowledge some will come, or will be supplied with a tonearm so that can be included as well.

I am sure some high end turntables do get sold in the UK but the numbers are very small. I gave up representing turntable brands back in 2014 as I just didn't think it was worth pursuing for the amount of interest in such things. I offered and made available to the UK market a number of interesting and high performing analogue products way back since 1997 (J.C.Verdier turntables, Schröder tonearms, Allaerts cartridges, DPS turntables, TW Acustic turntables, Reed tonearms, Thales tonearms and turntables) but in the end there was insufficient interest to continue, so I concentrate on my own brand these days. Added to this, foreign high-end manufacturers seem to have high sales expectations for the UK market which is just not the case.

Last edited:
i think for a person who charges ‘starting at’ £3500 for a self made DAC, he probably does feel most TT in the general mainstream like Michell etc are budget.

No, not budget, but it would depend on the model and what tonearm/cartridge was attached...

I don't buy new anything, although both my current TTs (a Lenco GL75 in a heavy plinth, and a Thorens TD-150 MkII) would probably be quite expensive to buy new if they were still in production.

Not touched my TT in over 10 years. It’s probably equivalent to a £6-7k item.

I can’t see there being a massive market for upper end TTs on this country. Most of the chat on here seems to revolve around DACs & Speakers.

Ultimately the OP knows his market & made an appropriate business decision; I fail to see how anyone could refute this.

advertisement

Back