advertisement

New turntable for 2024

Mat C

pfm Member
Hi,
Happy new year! My target for 2024 is to add a turnable to my system. My budget is within £500. Just found a new Roksan Attessa in very good price £399-499, is it a good choice for newbie? Any recommendation is welcomed. Thank you. Matt

For that money this would be good:
Hi All

I have the above for sale with RB303 tonearm and the separate Rega PSU for adjusting the speed between 33.3 and 45 rpm. No cartridge is supplied with the deck.

Nice, clean turntable. The usual swirl marks on the lid but these are minimal. The cartridge shown on the photos below IS NOT SUPPLIED. It has the upgraded Edward’s Audio Little Belter belt as well as the standard Rega one.

This would be an absolutely fantastic starter deck or a great upgrade from a basic turntable. Very easy to setup and a joy to use.

MOpT6fG.jpg

bWuzn19.jpg

sMI4JfM.jpg

FoAoyeZ.jpg

EY4521P.jpg

I have the original box and another box to go over that if posting is required but I would much prefer collection from nr Tavistock. I do journey east along the south coast regularly so a met up/personal deliver might be possible.

£495 + delivery.

Please PM if you have any questions.
Thanks.

I presume when you say turntable you mean turntable/arm/cartridge? Also do you need a phono stage or do you have one or an amp with one?

Those caveats aside if it were me I'd buy the best secondhand Rega I could find for my budget. Simple, well engineered ergo reliable, Rega still support all their turntables and they sound great. However, we don't all hear the same so you really need to listen to whatever you are buying. Having said that if you buy a secondhand Rega you could try it and just move it on for what you paid for it should it not be to your taste.

PS I have heard varying reports about the reliability of Roksan gear, but I don't have any experience directly myself.

I'm a big fan of the current Dual TTs. The Direct Drive one is beyond your budget, but the 418 or, ideally, 518 are in the ball-park and well worth checking out. IMHO, much more fun and engaging than the Rega or Pro-Ject alternatives for the money.

The current Attessa has had some good reviews and is def worthy of consideration. Didn't Roksan also make an Attessa deck in the 90s?

The Rega recommendation is pretty standard at that price, for good reason. That said, be aware that there are several iterations of Rega Planar 3s - 70s/early 80s pre-RB300 ones with R200 arms (my first, competent, TT), RB300 ones from the 80s and 90s, and then the P3 2000s, RB303 ones and the more modern RB330 ones with the brace and potential upgradeability to the external PSU.

The point of the recommendation is that there is really not much to go wrong with them, except perhaps the arm bearings, or the anti-skate on the R200s.

With the amount of money you will need to invest in vinyl LPs - or perhaps you already have a significant collection already - my advice would be to keep on saving and get something better.

Otherwise, you're going to do your dough on a cheap table, and (trust me) you will still want to move forward.

With the amount of money you will need to invest in vinyl LPs - or perhaps you already have a significant collection already - my advice would be to keep on saving and get something better.

Otherwise, you're going to do your dough on a cheap table, and (trust me) you will still want to move forward.

The problem with this is; where do you stop? I'm not sure a P3, or an Attessa, or a 1200 is a "cheap table", either relative to a lot of people's means, or to the musical result. A lot of people are perfectly happy with those decks - not least because they can invest in vinyl alongside them.

The problem with this is; where do you stop? I'm not sure a P3, or an Attessa, or a 1200 is a "cheap table", either relative to a lot of people's means, or to the musical result. A lot of people are perfectly happy with those decks - not least because they can invest in vinyl alongside them.
I totally agree. £500 is more than enough to get you a good record player. A Planar3 is massively better than a cheap/entry turntable but you need to spend a lot of money to significantly better it. It'll give you years of trouble free pleasure, it's a fit and forget solution.

To be honest, the only other deck that is worth considering is a modern Technics. Nothing else has the depth of talent and support that these two have. At the price anyway, everything else is dearer or more involved, or both.

advertisement

Back