advertisement

New system - DAC & power-amp / DAC & integrated?

hifilover1979

Bigger than you...
I'm after a new system for my living room and it's going to be based around some Rega RS3's (more than likely unless I can find another set of Neat Motive 2's for a decent price) and music via my MacBook Pro/iTunes and Apple TV2 streamed via AirPlay etc...

I wanted to know that if I bought a power amp such as the Cyrus XPower; could that be controlled by an Audiolab MDAC (i.e. volume etc...) or would it make more sense to go for the like of a Rega Brio-R or Cyrus 8VS2/8XP as well as a DAC and feed the music to that via the ATV2 optical etc...?

I need the amp to be small to fit on our AV stand so a full size amp is out of the question really...

Thanks

I'm after a new system for my living room and it's going to be based around some Rega RS3's (more than likely unless I can find another set of Neat Motive 2's for a decent price) and music via my MacBook Pro/iTunes and Apple TV2 streamed via AirPlay etc...

I wanted to know that if I bought a power amp such as the Cyrus XPower; could that be controlled by an Audiolab MDAC (i.e. volume etc...) or would it make more sense to go for the like of a Rega Brio-R or Cyrus 8VS2/8XP as well as a DAC and feed the music to that via the ATV2 optical etc...?

I need the amp to be small to fit on our AV stand so a full size amp is out of the question really...

Thanks

Mdac and power amp sounds lke a plan.
Don't Rega do a slim power amp?

I'd be tempted to go for an integrated amp and a fixed output DAC, just in case you want to add other sources later. A tuner maybe? I love Cyrus integrated amps, though I prefer the older ones before they started putting horrible slits on the front for cooling. The Cyrus 3 is still a favourite, and as good as the current models to be honest.

Actually, looking at the Cryus range, why not the '6 DAC' integrated amp?

I believe JohnW is working on MAMP (power amg connected to MDAC, controlled by MDAC (?)), you might want to search for that name.

Thanks for the suggestions..

The MINT amp looks very interesting indeed however all recommendations are out of budget

Apologies I should have said that I dont want to spend more than £500 on the amp (less if possible). The Cyrus 8VS2 and Rega Brio-R usually come in around £300-£375 etc... Plus the amp needs to be the 'shoe-box' style to fit into our AV rack

The Cyrus 6DAC is a good amp but the 8VS2 to me, is still better. A much fuller and overall more detailed sound

The Audiolab MDAC and Cyrus XPower would be ideal but having looked around at 2nd hand prices it'd still be pushing my budget wide open which is what I'm trying to avoid!

A Cyrus dac xp might be what you're after. Only issue is support for a turntable. I have one for sale. So feel free to pm me if interested.

A Cyrus dac xp might be what you're after - just the support for your TT is the issue. Anyway if interested please pm me as I have a mint example for sale now.

Oops sorry for the double post but tapatalk errored the first time and couldnt see my post so wrote another.

Sounds like Cyrus is the way to go, allowing you to pick up second-hand components as time goes by. Also introduces the choice of replacing the laptop and DAC with a matching network player later on.

Would a second-hand Cyrus 6 Power suit your current needs?

There's a second-hand one for sale on eBay at the moment for £400 or Best Offer:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=261118230189

Lintone Audio's website shows a brand new Cyrus 6 Power reduced from £700 to £595:
http://www.lintone.co.uk/special-offers/cyrus-6-power-amplifierblack-290-148-2117.php

However, they're also selling a brand new one on eBay at £499 plus £10 UK delivery:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=181023250067

I'm guessing, leaving the eBay one where it is and, phoning the shop instead could get you a brand new Cyrus 6 Power for £500 delivered.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I'm not going to be doing any buying until mid December as I'm away for a few weeks and then back to back-to-back meetings before Christmas kicks in...

I'm shutting shop come Friday 07th Dec (I love being my own boss :D )

The only Cyrus amps I'll go for are the 8's or XPower; the 6 range never seemed to have enough gusto for my tastes so I'll be keeping my eyes open on the varying forums and eGay etc...

However just having done a bit more reading this morning; the Dynaudio Xeo 3's are a very interesting proposition!

Thanks
I am thinking of going down the same route. Does a tv 2 do exactly the same as the airport express for music?

Why not an older Cyrus amp? The Cyrus 7 is pretty meaty (70watts output with 180watt PSU) and the original '8' is very powerful just like the modern 8vs, vs2 and 8a (same 70watts output with 320watt PSU) .

Thanks for further suggestions.

Cyrus Stream is no good; doesnt support AirPlay!

Cyrus 8XPd is something that may be considered but like the other suggestions; above price range I'm wanting to and the rest on some new or 2nd hand Rega RS3's or 2nd hand Neat Motive 2's

OR

I may just go the whole hog and go for something like the Dynaudio Xeo 3's and be done!

Why not an older Cyrus amp? The Cyrus 7 is pretty meaty (70watts output with 180watt PSU) and the original '8' is very powerful just like the modern 8vs, vs2 and 8a (same 70watts output with 320watt PSU) .

Having owned the 7 and 8VS2 before and heard the 8, 8VS and 6VS2 a lot; the 8VS2 OR XPower (or even the 8XP/XPd) are the only Cyrus amps I'd consider currently although the latter are out of budget currently

advertisement

Back