advertisement

New Springsteen album, what do we think?

Woodface

pfm Member
It’s always difficult to judge later work by established/legendary artists & the latest by Bruce feels very timely.

I’ve listened to it a couple of times, it covers the usual themes & ticks of a lot of his known lyrical flourishes but it’s very impressive.

I think he is singing better than ever & unlike most of his output the SQ is very good.

Agree - very good album with a lot of reflection on mortality and many nods to his past.

the sound quality is very good with less of a “mp3 mush” mix and more separation of the instruments- which is quite a feat given that it was mainly recorded live in his home studio.

I'm loving it. 2 of the 3 old ones are outrageously good but you can tell why he veered away from them with the inevitable Dylan comparisons that would have been raised.
Catch the film on Apple TV, it puts the songs into even sharper focus, and to see Jon Landau in tears at the playback of I'll See You In My Dreams.

Last edited:
The soft centre of a decent man becomes a little schmaltzy. But that is forgiven at 71 in the year of Covid.
From legendary concerts to the intimacy of Nebraska and Tom Joad. Thank you Bruce.

I bought the CD and have listened to it 4 times now. I agree that the sq is better than some of his previous albums.

I love the three old songs, but I also like the new songs esp. Ghosts. I'm just pleased Bruce and the ESB are in good health and releasing good music in 2020!

I’ve streamed I it a few times and like it a lot. I’ll probably get the LP at some point.

There’s a very good documentary about the recording of the album on Apple TV+ if you have access to that.

I haven't got passed the fourth track - it's a huge disappointment so far. I'm told the second half is a lot better though so I might give it another chance at some point. We're told on the AppleTV+ interview that it's a modern sounding Born to Run - I'll have what he's on please...

Highly recommend that you watch the film of the making of the album on Apple TV (can get it free for a week). It gives context to the songs quite brilliantly. It may have made me cry as well...

Enjoyed the album thoroughly, and am watching the Apple TV+ documentary now. Wonderful, just wonderful!

I'm not a Springsteen fan, his music that it is! I really wish I was though and I feel I ought to be!
He's always come across as an absolutely top bloke and I've no doubt he is, he's always an interesting one to listen to on chat shows etc and I like him
I'm a big Joe Strummer fan and he was also a massive fan of Springsteen, he once said "If you don't like Bruce Springsteen you don't like Rock and Roll"
I've had a listen to the new album and it's not for me, I'll probably have another go though

However, this is awesome!!!

Doesn't do it for me I'm afraid. One good track, one abject stinker, and the rest is fairly ho-hum stuff that I wouldn't miss if I never heard them again. :(

...and I am a Springsteen fan.

I'm not a Springsteen fan, his music that it is! I really wish I was though and I feel I ought to be!
He's always come across as an absolutely top bloke and I've no doubt he is, he's always an interesting one to listen to on chat shows etc and I like him
I'm a big Joe Strummer fan and he was also a massive fan of Springsteen, he once said "If you don't like Bruce Springsteen you don't like Rock and Roll"
I've had a listen to the new album and it's not for me, I'll probably have another go though

However, this is awesome!!!

He opened with that when I saw him at Hyde Park. It was amazing even though I don’t like the Clash.

Have listened a few times, love it. There's an air of grace and majesty about it.

Hard to believe he's 71. A true musical icon of our time, I only came to appreciate him long, long after he was a household name. Never connected with his music prior to being handed Live 1975-1985. Up to that point I'd only known the Springsteen we heard on the radio. The man is a great songwriter and storyteller. It will be a sad day when he is laid to rest.

Streamed it on Tidal with a view to buying Vinyl.

I will not be buying vinyl or CD or any format. It is not a bad album but in my opinion "Western" was more enjoyable as a latterday Bruce.
Was led to believe from some interviews that the new one was a sort of return to his sound of around 35 years ago but I don't see it.

As I said though - not a "bad" album, just a bit of a let-down

Quboz/Rooned it this morning as I processed the overnight emails.

Good! No duffers! Sounded good in 24/96. But not the same impact as, say, Born to Run - but then I suppose that one has associated memories of a certain time and place with it.

That's the thing these days. You can hear loads of good new music but it does not stick - as I get older I do not find myself playing albums over and over as we used to in our youth.

I am never sure what to expect from a legacy artist like Bruce; you know his latest releases are never going to top Darkness or Tunnel of Love but you still want to hear them

Last year's Western Stars and now Letter to You, two very different albums in both content and style, continue to make a really strong impression on me. A late period one-two of real power and significance. My favourite songwriter and performer:)

advertisement

Back