advertisement

New Spendor SP200 speakers

It seems that Spendor will ship a demo pair out to a dealer upon request and that they are not generally held on demo.

I wonder how many pairs have been bought. My dealer has heard them and was very impressed saying they made mincemeat of the D9.

As Harbeth is a natural competitor, I wonder how their top model compares with the S200.
As I have said before, I have a great respect for Spendor.
Having said that, I do own Harbeths as well as my BC1s.

As Harbeth is a natural competitor, I wonder how their top model compares with the S200.
As I have said before, I have a great respect for Spendor.
Having said that, I do own Harbeths as well as my BC1s.

Yes, but Harbeth do not do a floor standing speaker. Their 40 series is probably in direct competition with the Spendor 100 series in terms of volume etc.

It is taking the treble and mid range of my Spendor S100 speakers and then extending the quality of the bass by going to the floor standing SP200 that interests me.

Yes, but Harbeth do not do a floor standing speaker. Their 40 series is probably in direct competition with the Spendor 100 series in terms of volume etc.

It is taking the treble and mid range of my Spendor S100 speakers and then extending the quality of the bass by going to the floor standing S200 that interests me.

Unlike you, I would be quite happy with the bass response of the 40 series.
We're all different...

It is taking the treble and mid range of my Spendor S100 speakers and then extending the quality of the bass by going to the floor standing SP200 that interests me.

According to Sphile's measurements, the current SP100 technical performance is quite inferior to that of the M40.
In fact it's inferior to the performance of the S100 from 1989.

I don't think that the current Spendors are up to the same level of perfromance as the Hugues' designs...

R

According to Sphile's measurements, the current SP100 technical performance is quite inferior to that of the M40.
In fact it's inferior to the performance of the S100 from 1989.

I don't think that the current Spendors are up to the same level of perfromance as the Hugues' designs...

R

Maybe that's why I like my 1989 S100 speakers so much then! Very interesting.

I could ( probably) accommodate the S100s.
Having said that, I am not going to sell my BC1s !

I used to own SP9/1s (same drivers in a larger floorstanding box) and find my current SB LS3/6s and improvement in all aspects (except low end extension and clarity).

Check the S100/SP100 for midrange suspension hardness.

R

I used to own SP9/1s (same drivers in a larger floorstanding box) and find my current SB LS3/6s and improvement in all aspects (except low end extension and clarity).

R

I rather like the SP9.
It was the last of the classic Spendors in my opinion.

The Harbeth 40.1 I heard on home demo suffered from an excessive and flabby bass response that was unlistenable to. (IMO of course)

I am trying to persuade my dealer to lay on a Spender SP200 demo. A good clean full bass response together with the mid and upper of my SP100's is what I want.

The Harbeth 40.1 I heard on home demo suffered from an excessive and flabby bass response that was unlistenable to. (IMO of course)

I am trying to persuade my dealer to lay on a Spender SP200 demo. A good clean full bass response together with the mid and upper of my SP100's is what I want.

I have heard differing reports of the 40.1. Bass reflex doesn't work in some spaces. My BC1s have to be carefully positioned to get the best bass response.

You are right of course. Any speaker to be acceptable must work in the space we have available. The 40.1 just did not work in my domestic setting but the accentuated bass is a characteristic of the 40.1

Anyone heard the 40.2 ? Is the excessive bass tamed ?

R

Thanks for the suggestion of checking the midrange suspension hardness. I have looked at the midranges but in truth I realise I have no way of knowing whether they have hardened suspensions or not. By way of trying to get a handle on this I have just spoken to Spendor. They have suggested that they are not aware of the surrounds of the bass or midrange on the S100 having any issue in this respect despite their age.

Do you have any experience of this/problems you have experienced or solved?

(By the way, I am taking tentative steps to ask my dealer to bring a pair of SP200 speakers to me for demo).

You are right of course. Any speaker to be acceptable must work in the space we have available. The 40.1 just did not work in my domestic setting but the accentuated bass is a characteristic of the 40.1

Anyone heard the 40.2 ? Is the excessive bass tamed ?

From the reports I've read this is the main achievement of the newer version, would love to hear them...

Thanks for the suggestion of checking the midrange suspension hardness. I have looked at the midranges but in truth I realise I have no way of knowing whether they have hardened suspensions or not. By way of trying to get a handle on this I have just spoken to Spendor. They have suggested that they are not aware of the surrounds of the bass or midrange on the S100 having any issue in this respect despite their age.

Do you have any experience of this/problems you have experienced or solved?

(By the way, I am taking tentative steps to ask my dealer to bring a pair of SP200 speakers to me for demo).

Derek Hughes has posted information on how to identify stiff suspensions and how to restore the compliance at the Spendor Yahoo Group.

Derek Hughes has posted information on how to identify stiff suspensions and how to restore the compliance at the Spendor Yahoo Group.

Well thought I would look at my S100 speakers a bit more closely and discovered that the mid and bass surrounds were in fact pretty stiff.

I have applied the dot4 treatment to the outside only and they are now not stiff. It will be interesting to see how long it stays like that.

Well thought I would look at my S100 speakers a bit more closely and discovered that the mid and bass surrounds were in fact pretty stiff.

I have applied the dot4 treatment to the outside only and they are now not stiff. It will be interesting to see how long it stays like that.

And how did it affect performance, has the sound gotten any smoother or less strained in the upper mids?

And how did it affect performance, has the sound gotten any smoother or less strained in the upper mids?

The whole sound is much less 'dry'. The overall impression is that it is more musical.

Also, I now have bass again and the mids are less harsh.

I spent the whole of yesterday evening with a big grin listening to loads of music. 26 yr old daughter nr 3 was in charge of the Tidal app and chose most of the music.

The dot4 was applied with a small soft bristle paint brush. At the start of the process the brush made a brittle scratchy sound on the mid surround as it went over it (and the bass surround). Now that scratchy sound has all gone and the surround is supple.

And did I mention the new inky blacks between notes? Haha, well maybe not that

An interesting thread.

My favourite of the big Spendors is the SA3.

I have owned S100s, BCIs and still have a pair of BCIIIs

An interesting thread.

My favourite of the big Spendors is the SA3.

I have owned S100s, BCIs and still have a pair of BCIIIs

Heard a pair of SA3s in Westwoods of Oxford sometime in the late '80s
Superb loudspeakers.

Sadly Westwoods closed about 20 years ago.
Great shop...

advertisement

Back