advertisement

New speakers with LF drivers at least 12” – what’s out there?

Good quality loudspeakers with large drive units cost big money. Anyone suggesting otherwise is talking bollox.

This list is a great idea. I can't stand the thin narrow baffle speakers with multiple drivers that's so fashionable these days. They seem so wrong and ultimately they always sound wrong to me.

If my DBLs die on me, I'd be up sh*ts creek. I can only think of JBL classic monitors or the K series at the moment.

IME what makes any of these designs special is the crossover design and the driver integration that comes from having that produced by a true master.

I'd therefore tend to be wary of "projects" or of buying on drive unit specifications.

Martin Logan Renaissance ESL15A has two 12" drivers and is $25,000 USD, so should be about £20k UKP, but, they are not.

I've owned a few Logans. Wonderful at some things. Coherence however is not one of them an at the end of the day, IMO that's the most important quality if you want a convincing portrayal of music.

20140515_HighEnd_Advance_Acoustic_025.jpg

https://www.kronosav.com/products/advance-paris-x-l1000-reference-loudspeakers

Matt,

Trenner & Friedl RA? I heard a pair on the weekend and they reminded me of proper Tannoys — the big wide ones that fill a room with sound effortlessly.

They sell for $22k Cdn so may be near £10k.

Best,
Joe

Matt,

Trenner & Friedl RA? I heard a pair on the weekend and they reminded me of proper Tannoys — the big wide ones that fill a room with sound effortlessly.

Best,
Joe

Sorry I haven't responded to posts on this thread for a while. My wife made me go to Rome for a few days. To be fair, she did go with me and we had a perfectly nice time.

Joe, thanks: it's good to learn that the T & F speakers are worthy. I haven't been able to find a price for them in the EU (which is pretty weird given that they are Austrian) and it pains to me say that I cannot be arsed to e-mail the UK dealer.

Matt,

Best,
Joe

They're such well finished speakers. I love the look of the Isis but I have neither the space or the money.

Matt and Tiger,

The Trenner and Friedl RAs are more than I have but I was impressed by them during the brief demo the other day. Really nice looking speakers, too, that look like speakers.

Joe

Matt and Tiger,

The Trenner and Friedl RAs are more than I have but I was impressed by them during the brief demo the other day. Really nice looking speakers, too, that look like speakers.

Joe

Maybe we need a new thread for that: 'Speakers that actually look like speakers'. Could be a winner.

Tiger,

Too much cabbage for me — $22k Cdn — but the RAs were a-rockin and a-rollin'.

Even though they are a largish speaker, the RAs are designed to work close to a rear wall, so in practice they take less space in a room than many shoebox-sized speakers on stands.

Joe

The T&F Pharoah is another good one too. Pricey maybe for what you get, but they are lookers and sound good as well. The RA and Pharoah are almost like the Devore Fidelity O96 and O93, similar looks and design of sorts, don’t know how they would compare in a side by side though. I would probably take any of them though!

Edit: Oops, forgot about that 12” main driver requirement, the Devores and Pharoah going small with 10”, 8”, sigh...

Last edited:
We had the RAs here a few years back, they are ok, relatively uncoloured compared to some high sensitivity designs.
Keith

advertisement

Back