advertisement

New Rug, New Sound

OK so I've just been to pick up the heaviest rug i have ever come across. Its 3.63m x 2.72m and I'd say weight is 60-70Kg, hand made Indian, pure virgin wool.
It's about 40 years old and in remarkable condition for its age. I may need @Rug Doc opinion on having it pro cleaned as its been in storage for a couple of decades apparently.

Anyhow here's a pic of my latest system upgrade... And wow this rug sounds amazing ;), what a difference... loving it, it's really brought the room and system together, man :)

Last edited:
I’d expect a rug of that density to make a difference to the sound in the room, glad it’s for the better... I’m a rug amateur, mine is a £50ish jobbie from B&M :D, I do have carpet and thick underlay to help with sound deadening luckily.

Aha a 1970’s Indian Kashmir by the looks of it?! It might not be made of wool, but mercerised cotton (which weighs an absolute ton!) does it have labels verifying your description? Just interested. :)

Cleaning can be exp, but where are you? Get it to me in GU10 and pay for return to you and I’ll sort it for you for my cost which is about £150.

Aha a 1970’s Indian Kashmir by the looks of it?! It might not be made of wool, but mercerised cotton (which weighs an absolute ton!) does it have labels verifying your description? Just interested. :)

Cleaning can be exp, but where are you? Get it to me in GU10 and pay for return to you and I’ll sort it for you for my cost which is about £150.

I think you're probably spot on! I know nothing about rugs... you're the doc doc. These are the two labels underside it:

Getting it home from Windsor/Bracknell in the back of a Mini Cooper S wasn't much fun... But if its the only way to get it properly sorted then thanks for the offer, much appreciated. What's the process of actually cleaning such a big heavy rug?

Last edited:
Mmm looking at the back it looks like wool. So it’s just a thick, very heavy bugger!

Cleaning it can be done a few ways. Someone might just surface clean it and it’ll look fine, but the proper way to do it is to beat it first from the reverse.. we use old 1970’s Kirby hoovers for smaller rugs, which are powerful buggers and shake the hell out of it which dislodges the dust and crap at the bottom of the pile (don’t forget it’s upside-down) so it all falls out and can be removed by another hoover. For something this size we use a machine that shakes it in the full width and extracts the dust as it goes - this is done off-site, as it’s a horrid, hard & very heavy, dirty process. Then the pile is all cleaned by hand with a dry crystallising shampoo (Nova Treet) and left to dry. Imperitive that the pile is sitting in the right direction as it dries. When dry, Hoover (or run through the vibration machine again) to remove the crystals which have trapped all the dirt, and hope there are no stains left that need attention.. if there are, don’t panic as we know the best in the business and can remove anything... and have. :-/ we get bought all sorts - you can imagine.

Then it’s ready to go.

Na, it's an 'audio upgrade' ... Plus you do know showing ones rug is de rigueur in any audio thread (with pics) ;) tis room treatment in a domestic way, rather than 'balls-out' studio sound deadening panels

advertisement

Back