advertisement

New Rogers' LS3/5as

I bought my Rogers LS3/5a (15 ohm) in 1980 and they cost £150 - I wonder what that translates to when inflation is taken into account?
I used them in my student accommodation, driven by a Leak Stereo 20 and they sounded ok, but I really cannot see what the fuss is about. Tonally accurate(ish), but lack dynamics, and no real bass.

I sold my LS3/5as and bought KEF LS50s after auditioning some. Same engineering philosophy but much more sophisticated design techniques available today.
It has the strengths of the old one but fewer weaknesses. It doesn't fall apart with more dynamic music and can handle more power, though it is just as inefficient!

I bought a pair of these last week too and I think they are stunningly good for the price.

Another thumbs up for the KEF LS50, I stumbled across them, wasn't looking or scheming, they were enchanting.

I borrowed them, took them home and kept them. They are a truly amazing speaker, I've just treated them to a pair of Track Audio stands and some Nordost White Lightning.

Very much a 21st Century take on the dear old LS3/5A.

The mention of Kef is a reminder to play again my old but excellent condition Corellis –standing unused in a spare room with a blanket over the top to keep the dust off. They are accurate speakers, warm and old fashioned but with excellent bass – certainly on the slow side compared to my usual small Shahinians, but they sound very good indeed. Although a sealed box design, it is the timing that lets them down. I’ve got the old ‘Hifi Choice’ review and agree that they certainly aren’t bright sounding. On the other hand, at present, lifting them and the heavy stands presents a problem for my back so this will have to wait for some months.

I once briefly compared LS3/5as to a pair of Linn Saras, and was initially shocked that the Saras sounded relatively ‘thick’ and lacking in detail. The Rogers sounded much smaller and thinner but l was impressed by the clarity of the midrange. I obviously preferred the Saras – for their rhythmic abilities, nice character and all round balance. I sold the Rogers for about £120.23.

The Rogers and the older (non-V2) Stirlings are the same Derek Hughes design aren't they?

The original Stirling was a standard 11ohm LS3/5a design, with new Sp1228 SP1003 and T27 drivers manufactured by Kef in limited production runs, not NOS units.

The involvement of Derek Hughes began when they started offering 'SuperSpec' crossovers (in their AB-1s I think) and then when he designed their V2 LS3/5a, which used different, modern, drive units because Kef decided to stop any new manufacture of B110s and T27s. He also put together the test equipment Stirling use to measure and match their speakers.

The V2 drive units are the same units as the Harbeth P3 (prior to the Radial version) and are very consistent in their manufacture, Stirling do measure and match them but it is somewhat redundant as they always measure the same, unlike the Kef units.

Derek designed the Cicable external LS3/5a crossovers, and their BC-1 crossover, of which I have the 11ohm premium version and it is seriously good.

Derek also does some work for Harbeth - LS3/5a fans looking for a larger speaker should investigate the Harbeth M30 although this is all Alan Shaws work.

The Rogers 60th LS3/5a had design work from Andy Whittle and also from Stirling/Derek, and was built by Stirling. Like the V2 it uses a thin-wall cabinet (9mm instead of 12mm) but uses a glued on rear panel rather than a screwed on one.

The original Kingswood Warren prototypes used a thin-wall, screwed on back cabinet and some people, including Derek Hughes, attribute much of their prowess to the cabinet, as it is lossy and sinks some of the unwanted energy.

I use these cabinets with some 11ohm drive units and it is a lot less compressed and congested, as is the V2 also - so maybe it is the cabinet that is doing this.

The 60th uses a glued on rear panel, and uses a cheaper bass unit - a version of the monacor - which you can also get via the Stirling repair kits they do on ebay. The crossover is tweaked to make it sound like an old 15ohm version with an enhanced response at 1Khz, which makes it sound very seductive with the standard types of music that an LS3/5a might play, like female vocals. The crossover is more like the standard 11ohm crossover than the enhanced quality of the Stirling 'SuperSpec' crossovers, which in turn pales in comparison to the components in the Cicable crossovers, which wouldn't fit in the LS3/5a cabinet.

Imho the only thing the original LS3/5a has going for it over a V2 is that the T27 radiates a bit more. Some people have the impression that the T27 can be a bit spitty or grainy, but on my Cicables they sound mighty good.

Also if you compare a V2 to an old 15ohm pair which have a peak at 1Khz then the 15ohm may well sound better and it will take the selection of a variety of music before you notice that the 15ohm version is very picky in the types of music it can play successfully.

I personally prefer the 11ohm version to the 15ohm version as I think the bass response on the 15ohm versions is consistently slow and flabby when pushed, although it may be that the thicker cabinet contributes somewhat.

I first met Doug Stirling when I bought a Rogers E40a amp from him, which were designed and built by AudioNote on the south coast of England.

I see him every now and again as my wife's parents live in Devon and so I pass by his premises, and we sometimes go for a curry. He is also an 80s soul and dance music nut and I have a decent collection from that period, some of which is on loan to him whilst he record some 'mix-Cds' for the car, as he is also a petrolhead.

I bought my Cicables from Stirling, after I took down to Derek Hughes to upgrade to the Premium version.

I am also waiting to buy some veneer matched AB-2s, their new version of the Ab-1 bass extender which is a little larger, has a better crossover and uses the same bass unit as a V2. They perform a lot better than an AB-1, being extended in its bass response rather than having a peak thump, although the AB-1 could well suit smaller rooms better.

I originally lent Derek a pair of my AB-1s to see if it was possible to make them work better as the crossover in them is very basic and saturates easily. However he gave up as they were too compromised, but not until he had an accident and gouged the veneer on the side of my AB-1, which he got repaired to a standard where I can't locate it now.

In a further link, Derek's daughter and son in law used to work for Audionote and used to assemble E40a and E20a amps, and when mine went wrong Derek fixed it for me.

I was first exposed to Derek's work at my first Hifi audition when I tried some Spendor SP2/2s (25 years ago maybe and his first speaker design), which I, and the friend I took along, remember as being fantastically seductive in the midrange, a trait that continues in the V2 and in my Cicable crossovers.

The Rogers 65th version has nothing to do with Stirling, or Derek as far as I know.

If you are near London, Walrus systems stock the V2 and Les, one of the owners, is an LS3/5a fan and has several pairs. That first demo I had was with Les when he worked at KJ Leisuresound round the corner, who currently stock Harbeths and also seemed very enthusiastic about the M30s when I last called them, offering to get some in for a no-risk demo, or maybe even a home trial as they were so confident in them. I actually sold mine as my room was too small for them to work optimally.

The original Stirling was a standard 11ohm LS3/5a design, with new Sp1228 SP1003 and T27 drivers manufactured by Kef in limited production runs, not NOS units.

The involvement of Derek Hughes began when they started offering 'SuperSpec' crossovers (in their AB-1s I think) and then when he designed their V2 LS3/5a, which used different, modern, drive units because Kef decided to stop any new manufacture of B110s and T27s. He also put together the test equipment Stirling use to measure and match their speakers.

The V2 drive units are the same units as the Harbeth P3 (prior to the Radial version) and are very consistent in their manufacture, Stirling do measure and match them but it is somewhat redundant as they always measure the same, unlike the Kef units.

Derek designed the Cicable external LS3/5a crossovers, and their BC-1 crossover, of which I have the 11ohm premium version and it is seriously good.

Derek also does some work for Harbeth - LS3/5a fans looking for a larger speaker should investigate the Harbeth M30 although this is all Alan Shaws work.

The Rogers 60th LS3/5a had design work from Andy Whittle and also from Stirling/Derek, and was built by Stirling. Like the V2 it uses a thin-wall cabinet (9mm instead of 12mm) but uses a glued on rear panel rather than a screwed on one.

The original Kingswood Warren prototypes used a thin-wall, screwed on back cabinet and some people, including Derek Hughes, attribute much of their prowess to the cabinet, as it is lossy and sinks some of the unwanted energy.

I use these cabinets with some 11ohm drive units and it is a lot less compressed and congested, as is the V2 also - so maybe it is the cabinet that is doing this.

The 60th uses a glued on rear panel, and uses a cheaper bass unit - a version of the monacor - which you can also get via the Stirling repair kits they do on ebay. The crossover is tweaked to make it sound like an old 15ohm version with an enhanced response at 1Khz, which makes it sound very seductive with the standard types of music that an LS3/5a might play, like female vocals. The crossover is more like the standard 11ohm crossover than the enhanced quality of the Stirling 'SuperSpec' crossovers, which in turn pales in comparison to the components in the Cicable crossovers, which wouldn't fit in the LS3/5a cabinet.

Imho the only thing the original LS3/5a has going for it over a V2 is that the T27 radiates a bit more. Some people have the impression that the T27 can be a bit spitty or grainy, but on my Cicables they sound mighty good.

Also if you compare a V2 to an old 15ohm pair which have a peak at 1Khz then the 15ohm may well sound better and it will take the selection of a variety of music before you notice that the 15ohm version is very picky in the types of music it can play successfully.

I personally prefer the 11ohm version to the 15ohm version as I think the bass response on the 15ohm versions is consistently slow and flabby when pushed, although it may be that the thicker cabinet contributes somewhat.

I first met Doug Stirling when I bought a Rogers E40a amp from him, which were designed and built by AudioNote on the south coast of England.

I see him every now and again as my wife's parents live in Devon and so I pass by his premises, and we sometimes go for a curry. He is also an 80s soul and dance music nut and I have a decent collection from that period, some of which is on loan to him whilst he record some 'mix-Cds' for the car, as he is also a petrolhead.

I bought my Cicables from Stirling, after I took down to Derek Hughes to upgrade to the Premium version.

I am also waiting to buy some veneer matched AB-2s, their new version of the Ab-1 bass extender which is a little larger, has a better crossover and uses the same bass unit as a V2. They perform a lot better than an AB-1, being extended in its bass response rather than having a peak thump, although the AB-1 could well suit smaller rooms better.

I originally lent Derek a pair of my AB-1s to see if it was possible to make them work better as the crossover in them is very basic and saturates easily. However he gave up as they were too compromised, but not until he had an accident and gouged the veneer on the side of my AB-1, which he got repaired to a standard where I can't locate it now.

In a further link, Derek's daughter and son in law used to work for Audionote and used to assemble E40a and E20a amps, and when mine went wrong Derek fixed it for me.

I was first exposed to Derek's work at my first Hifi audition when I tried some Spendor SP2/2s (25 years ago maybe and his first speaker design), which I, and the friend I took along, remember as being fantastically seductive in the midrange, a trait that continues in the V2 and in my Cicable crossovers.

The Rogers 65th version has nothing to do with Stirling, or Derek as far as I know.

If you are near London, Walrus systems stock the V2 and Les, one of the owners, is an LS3/5a fan and has several pairs. That first demo I had was with Les when he worked at KJ Leisuresound round the corner, who currently stock Harbeths and also seemed very enthusiastic about the M30s when I last called them, offering to get some in for a no-risk demo, or maybe even a home trial as they were so confident in them. I actually sold mine as my room was too small for them to work optimally.

Thank you for a very comprehensive posting. You have filled gaps in my knowledge of the LS3/5a. I am currently running original Harbeth HL-P3s. As I have said previously I've owned Audiomaster, Harbeth and an unusual pair of LS3/5as, details of which can be found in the 'Gallery' section of Paul Whatton's 'Unofficial LS3/5a Support Site'. A site I'd recommend to anyone seeking help, etc. with LS3/5as. I am interested in constructing a pair of B110 / T27 speakers for my own interest. Those particular drive units have gone up in price on eBay. Falcon Acoustics ( they are mentioned on 'The Unofficial' etc. ) are taking pre-orders for a FB110 drive unit. Sometimes B110s can be acquired for low prices. A ( non-matched ) pair went for £25 at the Tonbridge Audiojumble. Martyn Miles .

I am expecting the dozens of pairs of LS3/5as which were bought from the two Bush House closing auctions last month to start appearing on the market soon. I think prices will drop.

I am expecting the dozens of pairs of LS3/5as, which were bought from the two Bush House closing auctions last month, to start appearing on the market soon. I think prices will drop.

Some have appeared, and prices haven't dropped. Don't forget 'The Collectors'. If it's BBC, then it's ( VERY ) collectable. Now, how can I get into Radio Oxford... Martyn .

I am expecting the dozens of pairs of LS3/5as which were bought from the two Bush House closing auctions last month to start appearing on the market soon. I think prices will drop.

Apparently the prices paid for the BBC speakers were all pretty high, maybe £650 minimum, so they will be on ebay/wherever for healthy prices.

Having worked in BBC World Service at Bush House for 30 years, and having spent lots of time in a whole variety of studios there, I never once saw a pair of ls3/5as used for studio monitoring. Not once..and for many years I was a producer. So exactly where these ls3/5as were used is a mystery to me.The monitors were much bigger Spendor/Quad combos (usually) with cheap little squark boxes for communication between the studio/ control room.And, to the best of my knowledge, Bush house didn't have outside broadcast vans, so they couldn't have been used there. My best guess (and it is a guess) is that they were stored somewhere for many , many years.It was such a rabbit warren that stuff could lurk unseen for ever (until the place was sold!).
As for prices, I know people have a vested interest in talking prices up, but you can get decent LS3/5\s for £500 even now.I got a fine pair of 15ohm units for £450 not long ago.In truth, they aren't as special as people like to claim, compressed and a bit artificial. You can thank Ken Kessler for a lot of the fuss. Having said that, they are a minor bit of BBC history. But if you want that buy something like the Spendor BC1.
Having worked there, I wouldn't buy anything 'ex BBC'. It is usually quite knackered, because stuff was used until it was worthless.BBC Engineers were not romantics.....not that they were spoke to the rest of the human race.I agree that the KEF 50 is a better speaker, but after all these years so it should be.

Having worked in BBC World Service at Bush House for 30 years, and having spent lots of time in a whole variety of studios there, I never once saw a pair of ls3/5as used for studio monitoring. Not once..and for many years I was a producer. So exactly where these ls3/5as were used is a mystery to me.......

That's not surprising. They were not designed or intended to be main studio monitors. They were developed primarily for use in the confined spaces of outside broadcast vans and venues. I doubt the World Service had much if any call for them.

Reviving this thread, I now own a pair of Harbeth P3ESRs, my HL-P3s having been sold. All I can say is, give them a listen. At nearly £1500, a lot of money. Compared with outrageous prices for early Chartwells, good value...
I am considering constructing a pair of speakers for my brother, using LS3/5a cabinets. Probably with the Stirling Broadcast replacement driver kit. Only grilles needed then. Has anyone on this Forum made up a pair ?. Martyn Miles.

Martyn, my question is- for reasonable money will the Stirling kit and cabs give what is effectively an authentic ls3/5a sound? It looks like a good vfm proposition.

Would also like to hear your thoughts on how the Harbeth ESR compares with the 3/5a.

I am considering constructing a pair of speakers for my brother, using LS3/5a cabinets. Probably with the Stirling Broadcast replacement driver kit. Only grilles needed then. Has anyone on this Forum made up a pair ?. Martyn Miles.

I built a pair using the Stirling Broadcast driver kit and crossover, with cabinets from the guy from Moldova who sells on eBay. They turned out okay I guess, they do the usual LS3/5A tricks. These are the ones with the Monacor woofer and Scanspeak tweeter, similar to the Stirling and Rogers models that were sold a few years ago prior to the V2.

The Moldovan cabinets are nice, but I had to take a file to the battens to make the woofer's magnet fit, and they didn't include the bitumenized felt damping panels.

Ive owned the Stirling MS88 with the Monacor bass driver and the more expensive V2.
All I can say is they both do spoken word like no other in a small room.
Many other speakers have come and gone, but the V2s have stayed! YMMV.

Martyn, my question is- for reasonable money will the Stirling kit and cabs give what is effectively an authentic ls3/5a sound? It looks like a good vfm proposition.

Would also like to hear your thoughts on how the Harbeth ESR compares with the 3/5a.

It will be interesting to compare... The ESRs are, by far, the best small speakers I have ever heard. The HL-P3s were superior to any genuine LS3/5a I heard at home, including Harbeth's model. The ESRs build on them. Superior imaging, a bass end which has to be heard to be believed and a smoothness unheard before. My Harbeth HL Monitors only have the edge on them in the 'sense of scale ', if you get my meaning. In all other respects the ESRs outperform them.
As I said before, I fail to understand the obsession with early LS3/5as. It just has to be collectors.
I will enjoy building up the Stirling Kit speakers with the genuine LS3/5a boxes, but I suspect they won't reach Harbeth heights. I suppose that isn't the point. It's about musical satisfaction. I spent a great deal of my life listening to a pair of Wharfedale Diamonds in my University Lab. They always kept me in touch with music. That's what it is all about, after all...

advertisement

Back