advertisement

New Rega Nd7 Moving Magnet cartridge

From Twitter
"Hi, this a superior profile to that used in the Exact."
Someome asked about comparison to the Exact.
"The Nd5 has vastly improved sound stage and a cleaner top end. Book a demo at your dealer to hear for yourself."

Won't inner groove distortion increase because of the switch to an elliptical diamond?
I will wait for a comparison with the ND7.

They describe it as a "perfect elliptical" as opposed to a "precision elliptical" which is on the Nd3, and say it's superior to the the stylus on the Exact. But this begs the question what's the difference between the perfect and the precision and how is it superior to the Vital stylus which many would agree is better than an elliptical. This is confusing.

The plot thickens:
From Rega's Twitter:

#
From
@RWladinsky
"Is it the same profil vital stylus as the exact ? Or different ?"

From @Rega
"Hi, this a superior profile to that used in the Exact."

I've just realised that the new MM range means that when my Exact is ready to put its feet up it could be to landfill rather than trade in and regeneration.

Has any mention been made of existing owners' trade in allowances against the new range?

PS I have had a quick look through the thread, so if I've missed this apologies

I've just realised that the new MM range means that when my Exact is ready to put its feet up it could be to landfill rather than trade in and regeneration.

Has any mention been made of existing owners' trade in allowances against the new range?

PS I have had a quick look through the thread, so if I've missed this apologies
Rega will continue to offers rebuild on elys and exact

Why does it seem to be the case all cartridge manufacturers are cagey about telling everyone what exactly is on the end of the cantilever? I get that they have to protect intellectual property and all, but all it would take is a bit of squinting down a microscope and the cat's out of the bag.

Why does it seem to be the case all cartridge manufacturers are cagey about telling everyone what exactly is on the end of the cantilever? I get that they have to protect intellectual property and all, but all it would take is a bit of squinting down a microscope and the cat's out of the bag.
Agree. Back in the day common practice was to give the profile type and tip R/r figures. In many instances you also got tip mass. These things directly correlate to sound quality and in particular HF performance. I don’t think it’s too much to ask.

Possibly because they're all buying them from the same supplier.

Completely agree Robert and jay. But they must know that on forums such as this, we always manage to extract the truth eventually. I seem to recall from one of Robert's previous posts that the Vital stylus profile is indeed technically a type of elliptical. And if they don't want people to jump to conclusions, by just describing it as "perfect elliptical" many customers will actively avoid it due to potential IGD concerns, so being open about the design would be more beneficial.

advertisement

Back