advertisement

New Rega Nd7 Moving Magnet cartridge

The ND7 looks a bargain. Same stylus as the Aphelion 2 but £3,000 cheaper. Presumably it will be £225 to replace the stylus compared with £1,700 for the Aphelion. Why is the MC cartridge so much more expensive?
I think Because the fabrication process is way more difficult and slower.

The ND7 looks a bargain. Same stylus as the Aphelion 2 but £3,000 cheaper. Presumably it will be £225 to replace the stylus compared with £1,700 for the Aphelion. Why is the MC cartridge so much more expensive?

Well for one, the Aphelion has a boron cantilever. The ND7 doesn’t.

I heard the ND7 won’t have a replaceable stylus. However, one can always get it retipped.

I am interested because of the higher output but I don’t think it will sound as fast and coherent as my Aphelion 2.

Well for one, the Aphelion has a boron cantilever. The ND7 doesn’t.

I heard the ND7 won’t have a replaceable stylus. However, one can always get it retipped.

I am interested because of the higher output but I don’t think it will sound as fast and coherent as my Aphelion 2.
I think the real comparaison will be with the Ania pro and Ania.
The stylus will be the one from apheta 3 but it’s an mm so theoretically the mc (Ania pro ?)has an advantage ?

This is not a Rega forum, it's not a dictatorship and people are entitled to their opinion.
Haha yes , and for the record I’m a huge rega fan, I think their product like io , elex and planar are amazing value.

What’s your taught on the whole mm / mc debate after hearing the exact , Ania pro and Hana mc ?

I've been begging for a better spec MM cart from Rega for years. The Exact is so musical but is crying out for some higher quality parts to help sort out the weak areas.

I suspect this cartridge might just be an absolute killer.
Hello Mr Pig, what do you think are the
weak areas, on the rega exact

It's my favourite too,
I heard my entire collection, from
Back from the grave(60's garage punk)
To jazz.
I can't see weak areas.
My previous cartidges didn't work so well
Ortofon red, blue
Ortofon quintet blue,
Hana el, benz micro silver...

What’s your taught on the whole mm / mc debate after hearing the exact , Ania pro and Hana mc ?
I've had a lot of cartridges of both types, the Ania Pro and Exact are only two.

I don't see it as a debate. It's a mistake to get hooked up on the way the cartridge generates the signal as there are multiple ways they can do this, not just moving magnet and moving coil, and there are so many other ways in which cartridges vary. There are great cartridges of all types and it just depends on what you like, what works in your system and what you can afford.

You can generalize and say that MM is a more punchy, primary colour technology which I think is better suited to lower end, lower resolution systems but even that is stretching it. There are lots of people with fairly expensive turntables using MM carts.

I think the important thing is that you can see differences just as big between say different MM carts as you do between MM and MC and price broadly reflects performance whatever the type. A £500 MM will be just as good as a £500 MC, just different. Then take into account that MC carts are more expensive to run and you see why it makes sense to leave off using MC until the rest of the deck is maxed out and you can afford a MC cart that's better than the average MM. I've seen lots of people running MM carts on very high spec LP12s.

It's my favorite too,
I can't see weak areas.
I guess it depends on what you compare it to. It's a music first cartridge but it's beaten in Hi-fi terms easily enough. The OC9-XSL is comprehensibly better technically but I kept coming back to the Exact.

The Ania-Pro is a very good best of both. More clarity but retains the soul. Having said that, I'd love to hear the new Rega MM that's coming out.

I also heard this cartridge at the Bristol Show & thought the system it was playing in & the very enjoyable sound it produced was a bargain as a whole. The FONO MM phono stage in particular. Okay it was not without it's quirks (the system sound) but that didn't stop the enjoyment.
From a lot of Person that I asked and heard the Aya in good conditions, they all agree that Aya are very very good speaker for ~2000€

It's my favourite too,
I heard my entire collection, from
Back from the grave(60's garage punk)
To jazz.
I can't see weak areas.
My previous cartidges didn't work so well
Ortofon red, blue
Ortofon quintet blue,
Hana el, benz micro silver...
Did you tried Hana SL / ML ? Seems they are the one people choose if not the Ania pro .

I guess it depends on what you compare it to. It's a music first cartridge but it's beaten in Hi-fi terms easily enough. The OC9-XSL is comprehensibly better technically but I kept coming back to the Exact.

The Ania-Pro is a very good best of both. More clarity but retains the soul. Having said that, I'd love to hear the new Rega MM that's coming out.
For Ania pro and exact I think you opinion on the long runs will be very valuable. That’s when we noticed if we miss the old one or if we really like the new one ;)

Also very curious about nd7!

I would be really interested if you could try the Hana SL/ML tho ! Both sound different and have quite different characteristics.

Have a feeling the SL might be to your linking, some people say it’s a nice warm cartridge.

I also keep hearing from the Aurorasound vida prima phono stage as a very good alternative to the aria . You’ll plan to hear it at some point ?

Yawn..........it is not simply a stylus replacement, as all rega cartridges have a fixed stylus (in case you were unaware), the cost is for a full cartridge service and rebuild from ground up, hence the disparity in price........nowt to do with "what the market will bear"......FFS
Also from what I see , both in Europe and uk rega is the least expensive if you need to rebuild/swap your cardrige.
Hana and ORTOFON are more expensive I think .

I also keep hearing from the Aurorasound vida prima phono stage as a very good alternative to the aria . You’ll plan to hear it at some point ?
No. I don't look to constantly upgrade for no reason. Every change is to improve a specific thing and once something is right I'm happy. Right now there is nothing I'm looking to change. The whole system works very well and there is no aspect of performance I'm unhappy with.

There is always better out there. There is almost no limit. What are you going to do, chase never ending upgrades for the rest of your life or play records? The Aria is a pretty good phono stage. Might not be the best you can get but it's very good and has no noticeable flaws. I don't need anything better.

Also from what I see , both in Europe and uk rega is the least expensive if you need to rebuild/swap your cardrige.
Hana and ORTOFON are more expensive I think .
Yes, Rega rebuilds are very cost effective. People often complain about the MM carts but the exchange price is less than the price of a new stylus from most brands. The MC cartridge exchange is even better value.

No. I don't look to constantly upgrade for no reason. Every change is to improve a specific thing and once something is right I'm happy. Right now there is nothing I'm looking to change. The whole system works very well and there is no aspect of performance I'm unhappy with.

There is always better out there. There is almost no limit. What are you going to do, chase never ending upgrades for the rest of your life or play records? The Aria is a pretty good phono stage. Might not be the best you can get but it's very good and has no noticeable flaws. I don't need anything better.
Yes I understand. For me it’s more a question of wich one to choose between the two. And wich combinaison of phono stage/ cartridge will give the best sound for my hear and system ;)

But hey, maybe I’ll just stay with my fono mm mk5 haha..

advertisement

Back