advertisement

new record

worz

pfm Member
hi just bought friday night in sanfrancisco in charity shop £1 ,onthe back of sleeve it states property of cbs not for sale any ideas regards worz

its stolen and you must give it back , I represent CBS records , so return it to me , now and no further action will be taken. Remember all I have to do is ask Tony where you live and the boys will be round.

I buy quite a few lp's with this type of mark/label.
Usually, it merely means that it was a promo copy, given by the record co to dj's, radio stations, etc. I'm not sure whether it has any additional value, over & above the usual value. Tony would know more than I on this subject.
Matt.

I have had loads of those new records, most from 2nd hand record shops.

Apparently, music journos and DJs get special treatment, and get given lots of records and CDs free!

Rather than doing the right thing, keeping them and filing them away, they take them down the shops and sell them for money!

Ungrateful bastards!

DS

Used to be great going to Notting Hill ( Music and Video Exchange) and rooting out all the new promos. These days most stuff is sent in an MP 3 format and e-mailed to the journos. Bad news for them and bad news for vinyl collectors.

Promos are a good thing IMO, they are inevitably rarer than the release issue and they are inevitably first pressings. Given the choice of the promo and the release for any title I always keep the former assuming all cover art is present. Usually they have some form of press pack insert with them in addition to the release artwork which is another benefit. Price-wise they are a bit of a grey area as technically they remain property of the record label, though all record dealers happily sell them (myself included - I have many listed here). They tend to be worth a little more than a first press in similar condition, but not as much more as one might expect given their scarcity.

Tony.

Used to be great going to Notting Hill ( Music and Video Exchange) and rooting out all the new promos. These days most stuff is sent in an MP 3 format and e-mailed to the journos. Bad news for them and bad news for vinyl collectors.

I used to occasionally see Erol Alken (DJ) offloading a pile of promo 12"s in the Camden MVE. The guys behind the counter seemed to know him fairly well :)

They tend to be worth a little more than a first press in similar condition, but not as much more as one might expect given their scarcity.

Or sometimes almost worthless! From the Skam Records website:

ADVANCE PROMO COPIES
Due to piracy, and promotional copy manipulation, all advance copies of skam material are not complete, and have random edits within.
:( sorry.
Please, support the industry.

A shame they feel the need to do this and I'm kinda surprised. Skam are great - one of those labels where you collect everything they put out. Or at least you do if you're a sad thirtysomething fanboy...

advertisement

Back