advertisement

New QUAD 33 / 303 to be released...

14289165530_b389d5889d_c.jpg

Not setup or in use anywhere, but I even have the wood case for my 33/FM3!

PS The FM3 is actually my original from my first system, I’ve owned it since the late-70s.

I forgot all about that sleeve for the 33 and fm3! I do remember having to hold the 33 case when pushing buttons, can’t remember the surface I had it on though a few bits on double sided tape solved it sliding.
I did run a 303 with various other pre amps and direct from some sources and was always impressed by it, the 33 while still great was starting to feel it’s age! The 303 always struck me as just good solid engineering.
I did know a guy in the 70’s who ran a mobile disco using 303’s it was quite a sight with I don’t know how many wires he wound together and shoved into the sockets. It never once gave him any issues even when the heat sink and part of the case was too hot to touch!

I hope the 33's options of radio1 or radio 2 buttons are removed - I speak from experience!

There is an awful lot of retromod type products at the moment, new electronics in retro inspired casings:

Nait 50 > Nait2
Quad Platina > 34, FM4, 306
Quad 33/303 > old 33/303
NAD 3020?
Linn LP12 🤣

I’m sure there will be more, I quite like them, but it’s nice to see new innovative stuff too.

Curious about the functionality of the 33. The lack of labels suggests the orange buttons are context-menu driven somehow. The three knobs that should be bass, treble and filter-slope too. Is what was the orange panel a screen? It makes little sense as pictured.

The form/function of the original was so stunningly good they have a very high bar to jump here.

PS I agree there is a lot of very nostalgic stuff around at present. Maybe too much. I suspect a lot is down to so much modern kit, especially the really high-end kit, being so utterly hideous. I’m genuinely stunned by the lack of design or ergonomic understanding from many high-end audio brands. So much looks like the car Homer Simpson designed, but scaled-up to preposterous dimensions and needing fork-lift truck access to get in the listening room. Everything the original Quad 33, or for that matter the MkI Nait or TD-124 were not.

There is an awful lot of retromod type products at the moment, new electronics in retro inspired casings:

Nait 50 > Nait2
Quad Platina > 34, FM4, 306
Quad 33/303 > old 33/303
NAD 3020?
Linn LP12 🤣

I’m sure there will be more, I quite like them, but it’s nice to see new innovative stuff too.
I still dream of a re-issue of an A&R Cambridge A60 with a wooden sleeve !

Curious about the functionality of the 33. The lack of labels suggests the orange buttons are context-menu driven somehow. The three knobs that should be bass, treble and filter-slope too. Is what was the orange panel a screen? It makes little sense as pictured.

The form/function of the original was so stunningly good they have a very high bar to jump here.

PS I agree there is a lot of very nostalgic stuff around at present. Maybe too much. I suspect a lot is down to so much modern kit, especially the really high-end kit, being so utterly hideous. I’m genuinely stunned by the lack of design or ergonomic understanding from many high-end audio brands. So much looks like the car Homer Simpson designed, but scaled-up to preposterous dimensions and needing fork-lift truck access to get in the listening room. Everything the original Quad 33, or for that matter the MkI Nait or TD-124 were not.
The screen may just give feedback in place of a lack of numbers / labels on the dials and buttons.

An interesting design choice but I think it looks great at present.

I suspect rather than a slope knob the third may be used for balance as I don’t see the slider below the volume knob!

advertisement

Back