advertisement

New Pink Floyd Relics double vinyl May release.

Spudgun

https://www.whatrecords.co.uk/items/82985.htm
82985.jpg

Didn’t this used to be on Music for Pleasure, or did I imagine that?

Original UK releases were on the EMI Starline label. Easy to spot: textured sleeve and 'Pink Floyd Relics' is in white.

The move to MFP gave it a 'normal' sleeve and 'Pink Floyd Relics' got coloured pink.

I'm glad to see the reissue uses the original sleeve and not the model used for the CD issue.

I have the cd version, the picture is in full colour...great album. Apart from Ummagumma (where it is live) I think I am right in saying it is the only place to find a studio version of careful With That Axe Eugene. I did have the mfp vinyl edition once, as everyone did.

Any other mainstream rock artists on mfp ? There was a bowie one I think.

Can’t bring to mind a Bowie title, but there was certainly a T. Rex one, ‘Ride A White Swan’ which was mainly Tyrannosaurus Rex-era stuff released once Bolan moved to EMI. I think that is the only one I own. Others exist for Beatles, Beach Boys, The Move, John Lennon, Small Faces, The Shadows etc plus some rather good jazz ones e.g. Ella Fitzgerald, Cannonball Adderley, Stan Getz, Oscar Peterson, Louis Armstrong, Nina Simone, Louis Armstrong etc.

PS I flogged my copy of Relics ages ago when the price of the Starline first press started to go up, I think I got £30 for it (probably worth a lot more now). It’s a good compilation, but I have every track elsewhere including the first two singles on 7” (admittely rather tatty). The Dutch ‘The Best Of The Pink Floyd’ (later issued as ‘Masters Of Rock’) is more use IMHO as that collects the early Columbia singles As and Bs. It is another reason I didn’t need to keep Relics!

There are Clapton and John Mayall titles in the MFP 'The World of.....' compilation series. Great way to get stunning pressings of some of their early material on the cheap.

Incidentally, I reckon Relics is one of the few compilations that's an essential record in an artist's discography.

advertisement

Back