advertisement

New network players from Naim

I love threads like this, you’d think that you’re being forced to buy Naim gear the way half of you go on. If you don’t like it don’t buy it.

For instance as a petrolhead I don’t like little cars like Minis, but I don’t feel the need to slag them off all the time, I just don’t buy them.

Whats makes you think making the boards in an automated humanless factory in China or the equivalent in any other part of the world makes for slagging off the brand?

Point is the prices are a bit stupid, by the time these are released there will have been an April and October price rise. Example, the Nova which i was interested in went up £400 (11%) from first to second batch.

listen to naim dealers and naim sales are dropping. new sales are basically streaming/pc source units. new range hike in price is a kick in teeth for naim fans

Naim has expanded its retail base considerably in recent years. They have added more hifi dealers, but they also have products at John Lewis, Apple, Currys and probably others. I suspect that Naim is actually doing very well, but I can see how some established Naim dealers might find this challenging.

Naim has expanded its retail base considerably in recent years. They have added more hifi dealers, but they also have products at John Lewis, Apple, Currys and probably others. I suspect that Naim is actually doing very well, but I can see how some established Naim dealers might find this challenging.
Don't forget richersounds sell naim

I wonder how they compare to a £300 Yamaha streamer like this connected to a good dac...

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/np-s303/index.html

Thanks for the link to the Yamaha - having owned a CA800 amp decades ago, it is one of those 'wish I didn't sell it' products in hindsight as it was beautifully made and finished, and had a lovely sound quality.

On streamers though, I'm just not convinced enough by the limited computer in a box route, when a perfectly adequate MacBook Pro or iMac, or a Windoze box will do the same thing plus a whole lot more being a 'proper' fully featured computer.

And as to certain manufacturers being able to squeeze more 'music' out of ones and zeroes, baloney, as I'm not aware of any proven technical reason why this should be so. Marketing claims and conjecture yes, proven technical reasons, no.

I am all ears though if someone has proven peer reviewed technical fact to bear upon the dedicated streamer approach v's a fully featured computer.

Otherwise am well happy with my MacBook Pro for all my ripping and streaming needs.

Cheers

I love threads like this, you’d think that you’re being forced to buy Naim gear the way half of you go on. If you don’t like it don’t buy it.

For instance as a petrolhead I don’t like little cars like Minis, but I don’t feel the need to slag them off all the time, I just don’t buy them.

I like Minis but no longer interested in Naim.
Mini and Naim
Like Mini not Naim
Like Naim not Mini

Except for the late Julian Vereker, must liking them be an inverse relationship?

Point is the prices are a bit stupid, by the time these are released there will have been an April and October price rise. Example, the Nova which i was interested in went up £400 (11%) from first to second batch.

Didn't you buy a Devialet which is essentially a very very very expensive class D amp in a shiny chrome (lifestyle) box.

I know hearing one was enough to put me off though, sounded very dry and dull to me. I’m running Aleph class A amps with horns so the devialet is the opposite end of my sound preference.

advertisement

Back