advertisement

New Naim streamer preamp

If you can live with more boxes, I always felt a decent steamer +DAC combo is a better option than an all inclusive steamer/player, as it leaves more options open and is easier upgradable.
Honestly I haven’t heard many streamers so I am not sure how big an impact on sound they have vs Streaming service or vs Dac.

The point is often made that technology moves so fast that streamers are out of date in a couple of years but I’m not sure that’s true. Does anyone have an example of something in their streamer that no longer works?

When I bought my Naim Uniti1 in 2010, I wasn't so much worried over depreciation at the time, it just sounded great and did everything I required it to do, in one nice box. And it still manages today. Limited, yes, maybe, but for me streaming Tidal and Radio Paradise is about all I need. There are many ways to skin the digital/streaming cat these days, and so many price points in which to do so, pick your poison.

I would be very surprised if this is replaced any time soon, what I think is on the horizon are amp/streamer combination products like the 272.

.sjb
A few days left to find out but my understanding was that both a 272 replacement and a streamer DAC are coming out (could be wrong of course)

I would be very surprised if this is replaced any time soon, what I think is on the horizon are amp/streamer combination products like the 272.

.sjb
If you look at Per’s very first post, you’ll see both the streaming preamp NSC222 and the streamer NSS333 in the Bluetooth certification list. Logically the 333 would be the replacement for the NDX2, but that’s just my hunch.

I’ve owned three Naim steaming products: the SuperUniti, a 272 and now an NDX2. The prices of both SU and 272 fell like autumn leaves as soon as replacements were announced. Having had both options, a separate streamer and amp are probably the best long term solution. Amplifier technology is very mature and little changes, whereas streamers and dacs seem to change quickly.

Of course, the superseded things don’t become obsolete, rather they cannot do all the stuff that the new things can. The NDX2 can handle lots of high res radio that the NDX etc cannot, as well as the more obvious Qobuz and over the air updates. But the old stuff still works in the same way as it did when released.

DACs are a very mature technology, have been around for over 40 years. I think we are at a stage now where things are more than good enough for us to enjoy music at a higher level than ever before.

As every, buy what you like.

Logically the 333 would be the replacement for the NDX2, but that’s just my hunch.

I’d imagine it will be a new product between NDX2 and ND555 but indeed it’s not the week I’d buy an NDX2 just in case.

Richard had been very busy deleting any speculation.

Under the influence I rather juveniley thought I’d poke some fun, but it was taken seriously and gone by morning.

.sjb

I’d imagine it will be a new product between NDX2 and ND555 but indeed it’s not the week I’d buy an NDX2 just in case.

Under the influence I rather juveniley thought I’d poke some fun, but it was taken seriously and gone by morning.

.sjb
Did that actually get deleted?hahahahahahaha sure they not normally this savage, it just confirms the new stuff more if anything

.sjb
this is great, could you do something similar for a new S1?

Linn seem to have the right approach, not cheap but upgradable & nice to look at.

Agree with this. I intend to do a bake-off between Linn Selekt DSM with Organik DAC and the new Naim NSC222 (?) - currently running 272 plus TPXPS. I have already tried the DSM with Katalyst - which was excellent but assuming Naim produce something on 4 Jan it is surely worth listening to..

I'd personally hold tight until the new year (as others have said) before forking out for a NDX2 until it's clear what's upcoming in the new lineup. If Naim decides to sell a dedicated Streamer does that imply they have a new DAC coming? Clearly the NSC222 is the 272 replacement. I just don't get the NSS333. If it's a streamer only does that imply that the streaming module in the latest streamers is already obsolete? Does that mean the DAC section in the latest streamers is fine? Could it be a streamer and some new built-in clock? Guess we'll find out soon. I'm happy with my current setup ND5xs2 into a nDAC but it's fun to dream

Naim has just started their pre-launch social media activity. A post on FB from them hinted at new products for 2023.

advertisement

Back