advertisement

New Naim streamer preamp

Having had a post deleted and being put on moderation for responding to a question on room acoustics because I advised the OP that a more expensive (Naim) amp or cable would not improve his bass problems, I am no longer interested in posting there. I have little doubt that a post along the lines of no. 503 above would be deleted.

OTOH, if you wish to ask the same question there, feel free to do so. I’d be curious to see the reactions.
You might be surprised what you can discuss there nowadays.

In fact, the 272’s volume control was also derived from Statement. ‘Derived’ can mean all sorts of course, from almost identical to vaguely similar.
Call me Mr Cynic, but that’s precisely why Statement exists. Everything can be stated to be ‘derived’ from that series, without any justification or substantiation. It’s not a Naim thing. It’s out of Marketing for Beginners.

Call me Mr Cynic, but that’s precisely why Statement exists. Everything can be stated to be ‘derived’ from that series, without any justification or substantiation. It’s not a Naim thing. It’s out of Marketing for Beginners.
I agree totally. Volume knob. Swanky cables. Balanced outputs. Silly plastic bits. White lights. New output transistors.

7000€ for entry level full size unit and you still need to add few more thousands for power amp.

Again, that much for entry level full size unit.

Years ago I had Naim full size system and today my earning is three times more than in those years, but I am not remotely able to buy entry level full size Naim system. I wouldn't say that I am doing something wrong and I am very happy where I am.

Good luck and good by Naim.:)

that much for entry level full size unit

Is entrylevel still not Nait 5Si and Atom ?

Maybe new Nait is upcoming

I believe they have discontinued 202/282/252 and poweramps
Definately a new 300 level analog preamp soon to be released

Currently I own two systems. Bryston/Quad one and the other one is Arcam Alpha based.

Lived with Naim olive range for some 15 years, but didn't find myself in all black series, but always hoped they will make something more opened and transparent again, altough a bit less hope for me after I saw new prices even if they incorporate some sound values they left behind years ago.

As for full size, I meant on height too, not just the length of the unit. These would be like NDX, 202, 200 etc..

I didn't said entry level in general. I said entry level full size units.
Fair enough but as entry level to the Classic range it’s actually good value. I don’t think it can be compared to the XS series or below. There are more reports to come from those who have heard the 222 but initially look very promising.

Would be interesting to know the new 300 analog Preamp prices and if both 282 and 252 are replaced - they could end up with one item only but who knows ?.

With a 300 PSU its not gonna be cheap to buy new Naim separates these days.

7000€ for unit which is not stand alone preamp or streamer, but rather mostly all in one and which sonicaly wise belongs at the bottom of the (thanks for reminding me) Classic system from my point of view cannot be a good value.

It is really hard to find something of a good value today when we talk about this in this time when everything is way overpriced and I am not talking from perspective wether one can afford it or not.

Would be interesting to know the new 300 analog Preamp prices and if both 282 and 252 are replaced - they could end up with one item only but who knows ?.

Yes, I’ve wondering this as well. 282/252 have gone, and entry to separates could be the streaming preamp, after that full separates with a 300 series preamp and separate streamer. I guess we should expect a separate preamp to be anywhere around £7k. You would of course be able to use an XPS or 555 or even XP5 XS to power it if you already have them.

Entry level is a bit of an arbitrary label I feel. It means different things for different manufacturers and it means different things for buyers.

ATC, for example, have their entry range starting at tad under £1K rising to over £4K or nearly £8K for the active version of the SCM40.

In Naim terms the 222 is above entry level if you include the musu, unity and nait product ranges. However, with regard to the separates it is clearly an entry-range product.

Hi-fi when it costs as much as Naim's cheapest product the muso QB, it is definitely heading towards a luxury price tag, being in a position to be able to afford the Naim 222 I see it as being a cross-over product for Naim between their expensive luxury consumer-orientated hi-fi products to the clearly hi-end extremely expensive enthusiast products.

Where are we seeing the 252/282 being discontinued? Is that part of the Naim announcement?

it has been discussed on the Naim forum and confirmed on there. They will build a few to order in coming months, but after that unless you want 500 series which seems to be staying longer, you will have to go second hand or New Classic Series.

it has been discussed on the Naim forum and confirmed on there. They will build a few to order in coming months, but after that unless you want 500 series which seems to be staying longer, you will have to go second hand or New Classic Series.

Sad day, but understandable I guess. They seem to know what they're doing despite many saying otherwise.

advertisement

Back