advertisement

New Naim Equivalent to Older Naim

samz

pfm Member
I have a Naim 122x Pre Amp and 150x Power Amp.

In terms of its quality and performance levels, compared with the Naim Integrated Amplifiers of the current range would my existing Pre & Power be more comparable to the new Nait 5Si or could it be somewhere between the 5Si and the XS2 ?

Thanks
Samz

I'd sooner a 122X/150X than either of the current Naits. I actually prefer the older NaitXS to the new one, and rate the 122X/150X as good as the older NaitXS albeit with a slightly different sonic signature. To get something appreciably 'better' you need to look at the SN2, assuming you like the sound of it.

Your combo is a lot preferable to any XS you would think of as long as it's working as intended.
That means If the units have never been recapped /serviced it should be about time.
And get that matching flatcap 2x to help your preamp sound better still.

Thank you for the responses, I have the matching flatcap already which also supports the CD5x. Quite reassuring to read the above comments. Maybe a recap and service would be the next step.

Absolutely If you like, trust your ears first and do that, no need to get reassured and count on people's advices.
If you really want to improve then it's a completely different story.
Still I would't bother any integrated.

I have always been a believer that the separate pre and power amplifiers give you better performance and a future upgrade path. I traded my 150x in for a 200, but the 150x gave me a great deal of enjoyment. In my opinion it punches above its weight. I certainly would not be moving from your combo to a single box, your combo would walk all over it without breaking into a sweat.

Thank you for the responses, I have the matching flatcap already which also supports the CD5x. Quite reassuring to read the above comments. Maybe a recap and service would be the next step.

What year are they Samz. I think 8-10 years is about the time for a recap.

I think there are some who would prefer a Supernait 2 to the 122/150. It has loads of power and a pretty decent DR powered preamp. Personally, I would stick with your pre/power combo, but you could argue that it's a subjective opinion, as well as being speaker dependent.

I used to use cd5x 122x 150x flatcap 2, wonderfull combination and in my opinion is a lot better than a naitxs its a charming set up. A friend bought it off me a few years ago and I still have the odd night listening to it lovely set up.

When i owned an original NaitXS with Flatcap 2X for about 4 years, i trialed a bare 122X/150X both with my CDS3. I concluded it was 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Had the FC2X gone on the pre power, my preference would have swung over to that combo. I'm presently using a similar combo, CDS3 into a Nait5 as a pre, powered by a Hicap and into a 150X. This is a little better than either of those previous combos.

maybe a 200 though, I had that combo 122x/200 not bad at all I heard that extra power right away.

advertisement

Back