advertisement

New MDAC2 coming?

Thanks, Si. I should have been more specific, I wanted to know if a current MDAC, fitted with an MDAC2 upgrade PCB, would be sonically identical to a factory built MDAC2.

Regards,

Mus

Mus,

We no longer work for Audiolab, the MDAC2 is being designed and built by ourselves here in Europe... I have no idea what Audiolab plans for the future of MDAC...

We no longer work for Audiolab, the MDAC2 is being designed and built by ourselves here in Europe... I have no idea what Audiolab plans for the future of MDAC...

I know, I was referring to your factory, not Audiolab's.

Regards,

Mus

Hi John,
With the near completion of the units your working on (hopefully).
I was wondering when you will be letting the people who signed up for the mdac2, when they should pay the first instalment, what method and exactly how much.
This should then get the people on the list thinking about putting money aside for the first instalment.
Other instalments will follow, as per your progress etc....
Regards.

Guys,

I think it's unfortunate to have two Mdac threads overlap. There should be two distinct threads

- one covering the original Audiolab units and any issues people may have with it;
- one covering Lakewest product, such as the Mdac2.

The current situation is confusing and must be time-consuming for you, John.

Guys,

I think it's unfortunate to have two Mdac threads overlap. There should be two distinct threads

- one covering the original Audiolab units and any issues people may have with it;
- one covering Lakewest product, such as the Mdac2.

I completely agree.

Jack

Totally different beasts Mus, the Mdac2 will be a dual chip ESS platform. So in theory they should sound quite different. No more locking channel bug, 3db less noise all round, less PSU intermodulation, all that jazz.

I don't think the 3db less noise is coming from the dual chip design, but rather from the improved analog stage?

I don't think the 3db less noise is coming from the dual chip design, but rather from the improved analog stage?

Bit of both, this taken from Resonessences website:
The INVICTA Mirus variant substitutes a second DAC output module for the headphone module. Hence it cannot provide a headphone output, but it can provide a total of eight ES9018 DAC channels for each stereo output. (It uses eight DAC channels to drive both the XLR (balanced) and the RCA (unbalanced) analog outputs.) You will read of other manufacturers who have also discovered that every time the Sabre DAC output channels are paralleled together performance improves. It is a unique feature of the Sabre DAC that its outputs can be added in this way (without the need for potentially noisy intermediate amplifiers). Doubling the number of channels reduces the noise by 3db. However, Resonessence does a little more. Firstly, we use a circuit level implementation that distributes the left and right channels equally between the Sabre chips, this ensures perfect channel to channel matching. And secondly, we actually also parallel the AD797 output amplifiers so that they also have their noise reduced by 3db at the same time. This second level of connectivity in parallel extends to the regulators as well: their noise goes down too.

Doubling the number of any dac chip gives you an extra 3db SNR, it's common practice, even my little $200 headphone dac with dual Wolfsons does it, it's nothing special to ESS. (Except that it can be used used to hide the left channel locking bug in their silicon).

All dacs sound the same, of course it will come within 95% ;-)

@misterdpog, yeh but it's not wastefully milled from solid....

Doubling the number of any dac chip gives you an extra 3db SNR, it's common practice, even my little $200 headphone dac with dual Wolfsons does it, it's nothing special to ESS. (Except that it can be used used to hide the left channel locking bug in their silicon).

All shit dacs sound the same, of course it will come within .95% ;-)

@misterdpog, yeh but it's not wastefully milled from solid....unobtainiumumumum

Corrected!

Yes, but single ESS chip is already an 8 channel chip. So the trick you talk about is already there with one chip (even for XLRs). I expect the MDAC-2 will only utilize 4 channels of each chip... the advantage is then in less intermodulation between channels. Something like dual mono amps.

AIUI it is johns intention not to use the left channel on both chips to allow him to sidestep the ESS left channel locking bug (in the silicon) and also gain some benefit from reduced 'whatever' across the die itself.

Is going dual differential with the output from two chips the same as stacking the 6bit process from multiple channels on the same chip?

advertisement

Back