advertisement

New Klimax LP12

Guys don't we all think the evolution of the old fruit Box is getting stupid
For me linn need to make a completely new deck now and let the lp12 go out gracefully instead of trying to wring more out of the the original design that was a compromise at best back in the 70s

Basically, what we are saying here is that this new Linn PSU makes the LP12 speed stability better and therefor, it was not perfect before? So if you don't have one then, by Linn's own admission, the speed stability of your LP12 is not great?

Nothing is perfect. Everything can be improved upon, however marginally.

If li
For me linn need to make a completely new deck now and let the lp12 go out gracefully instead of trying to wring more out of the the original design that was a compromise at best back in the 70s
It becomes stupid when customers stop buying it, what would be more stupid is to leave existing customers feeling abandoned and without an upgrade path.

Basically, what we are saying here is that this new Linn PSU makes the LP12 speed stability better and therefor, it was not perfect before? So if you don't have one then, by Linn's own admission, the speed stability of your LP12 is not great?

I guess an Audiophile will either judge perfection on the depth of their wallet OR when their brain finally tells them that enough is enough L.O.L.....

If li

It becomes stupid when customers stop buying it, what would be more stupid is to leave existing customers feeling abandoned and without an upgrade path.

Erm, there's quite a few other companies that have been building products for a considerable time without feeling the need to offer 'upgrades', do you think their customers feel abandoned without an upgrade path?

I don't have a problem with Linn offering upgrades or even the ludicrous prices of..well most of them really. I do object to them making it harder for the guy who lives at the bottom of the tree. Why not keep the old style bearing available for people who just want to maintain their deck without upgrading? Why charge £150 for a lid?

But as for changing to a different turntable or not offering upgrades, have you thought that through? I was just thinking about this earlier and we already know what the answer to that question would have been.

After the split both Ariston and Linn started from the same place, the RD11. Linn made changes to it right away, new bearing and pulley arrangement, and continued to upgrade it step by step for decades. Better bearings, sub-chassis, plinth, pretty much every part of the deck has been improved. Today the LP12 is still relevant and is one of the best known and loved turntables available.

By contrast, Ariston never made a deck that was better than the RD11! They changed it, yes, but they made it more complicated, added pointless and costly cosmetic frills but nothing that actually improved the performance of the thing. There was a continual stream of new models which were variations on the original design but didn't improve it and each model was sufficiently different that few parts were cross comparable.

So what if Linn had not upgraded the LP12 and had produced different turntables instead? That's what Ariston did and Ariston are gone. Linn got it right.

Do they have a money to build a complete new LP12-MkII !

The company, established in 1973 and based at Eaglesham in East Renfrewshire, reported an operating profit of £482,000 for the 15 months to September 2019 on turnover of £18.6 million

Same period
KEF Total revenue for FY 2021 was $202.9 million

VOXX International Corporation for FY 2021 $563.5
Klipsch, Jamo, Energy, ,ProMedia , Magnat & Heco.

Sound United LLC for FY 2021 was $ 635.9 million
Denon, Polk Audio, Marantz, Definitive Technology, HEOS, Classé , Boston Acoustics & Bowers & Wilkins

I've had my LP12 since 1984, I really like it even though it's a bit "triggers broom." When I first heard Keel/Radikal I thought "wow" even though it meant I had to get over my dislike of the Cirkus (iirc). I've been suckered into buying 3 arms for it in the almost 40 years i've owned it, ending with the Ekos SE I have now. Most upgrades have been purchased new, some ex-display or 2nd hand via a respected dealer. At my age it's unlikely I'll change too much, only repair and replace.
How much is the Radikal upgrade for existing bits! LOL!

I've had my LP12 since 1984, I really like it even though it's a bit "triggers broom." When I first heard Keel/Radikal I thought "wow" even though it meant I had to get over my dislike of the Cirkus (iirc). I've been suckered into buying 3 arms for it in the almost 40 years i've owned it, ending with the Ekos SE I have now. Most upgrades have been purchased new, some ex-display or 2nd hand via a respected dealer. At my age it's unlikely I'll change too much, only repair and replace.
How much is the Radikal upgrade for existing bits! LOL!

The Radikal upgrade from current version to version 2 is £1,750

The Radikal upgrade from current version to version 2 is £1,750

I sold my lp12 due to Covid last year after having one for 35 years and had got to a very nice spec
Almost klimax but akurate Radikal and Krystal cartridge
I enjoyed doing the upgrades but I needed to sell to raise the cash :(
I think if I had kept it I would probably have got the ‘free’ karousel and either a new kandid or klimax Radikal
If I had gone Radikal I would have been really cheesed off that a few months later I needed to pump another £1750 into it :mad:

advertisement

Back