advertisement

New Klimax LP12

I’m not Linn bashing, but what exactly does the new Radikal do over the old one? I’m no electrical engineer, but I would of thought that if it rotates at the correct speed, is quiet (I.e no vibration) and doesn’t spray electrical interference about to other components, then that’s all you need, isn’t it?

Improvements in these long gestating systems are always small and incremental as the design is so established and well engineered. The only problem is you pay big for small improvements. For some, it’s not a problem.
You can make similar small improvements by checking the set up or the supports. I’m not able to spend as some can so I have to focus on getting the rest of the system as good as I can get it.

Last edited:
I think £5,500 for the cart and 4,500 or ,6,500 for the radikal.
Top LP12 now£2100 or just over?
Yep, £21795… doubt I’ll be getting on for Christmas!

What I don’t doubt, is that it will sound epic, the previous Klimax deck did/does.

As for the price, we could dig at that all day but they have a market, suitably well heeled people will still buy it, people like myself will just have to lust after it as we do for luxury cars.

Yep, £21795… doubt I’ll be getting on for Christmas!

What I don’t doubt, is that it will sound epic, the previous Klimax deck did/does.

As for the price, we could dig at that all day but they have a market, suitably well heeled people will still buy it, people like myself will just have to lust after it as we do for luxury cars.

Me either but I'd like to think it will sound 'epic' at that price, although there's a least one UK dealer selling other brands that are replacing TOTR LP12 Klimax record players, I'm sure the competition would be pretty stiff at that level.

Me either but I'd like to think it will sound 'epic' at that price, although there's a least one UK dealer selling other brands that are replacing TOTR LP12 Klimax record players, I'm sure the competition would be pretty stiff at that level.
Pretty small pool of products at that price level, but they’re all outstanding, so it’s really a case of picking your flavour. My experience when listening to decks at that level is that basically, whatever it is, I want one, the only potential turn off being the aesthetics… the SME decks definitely divide opinion in that respect but I do actually like the “raw engineering”, everything you see has a functional purpose. The same is true of an LP12 but they do package it in a way that a lot of the functional parts are hidden, so it’ll blend in seamlessly anywhere. A Kronos on the other hand would lose my vote on aesthetics, too big, too bling.

Yeah, the Kronos is too big and ugly imo for my tastes no matter how good and being honest I couldn't afford it. You might be surprised however just how many really expensive record players there are available, I can think of at least a couple of dozen and that's without thinking of different of all the different combinations that could be built, I do sometimes wonder who's buying them.

Surprised Linn hasn’t introduced their version of a new top plate. A part of the LP12 that supports the suspension and motor could certainly be improved on over the bendy stainless steel part they have long used.

Surprised Linn hasn’t introduced their version of a new top plate. A part of the LP12 that supports the suspension and motor could certainly be improved on over the bendy stainless steel part they have long used.

Given the number of good third party top-plates available, it does seem a little odd that Linn have chosen not to do so.. Perhaps they don’t feel that is is warranted.. I guess that other members may be more aware why Linn have not done so.

How long before linn bring out a new version of the Ekos SE to match the looks of the Ekstatik mc cart, just for those that can afford it of course.
Meanwhile I’m more than happy with my LV III and Krystal.
It’s that £147.9 ltr that’s holding me back;);)

Blinking heck! That’s a lot of money for your average Joe to shell out. Even my ‘humble’ ’Akurate’ spec LP12 has gone up to north of 8K!
Cost me £600 off EBay in fluted afromosia/Valhalla/Ittock 2 spec, bargain!, before I did the Akurate upgrades. But I enjoyed every one. Just playing it, and it sounds wonderful to my compromised, less than perfect hearing, and so I will pass on the new Klimax upgrades, for now.

Pretty small pool of products at that price level, but they’re all outstanding, so it’s really a case of picking your flavour. My experience when listening to decks at that level is that basically, whatever it is, I want one, the only potential turn off being the aesthetics… the SME decks definitely divide opinion in that respect but I do actually like the “raw engineering”, everything you see has a functional purpose. The same is true of an LP12 but they do package it in a way that a lot of the functional parts are hidden, so it’ll blend in seamlessly anywhere. A Kronos on the other hand would lose my vote on aesthetics, too big, too bling.

I moved from a full fat LP12 with Aro to SME 20/2. I'm fully with you on it being not much of a looker. However, as nothing is perfect, I'm happier with the compromises with the SME than the LP12. I do miss the LP12 though and the Aro was a lovely arm to use.

Maybe it will be part of the 50th Anniversary product(s) which they will inevitably introduce next year…

Maybe it will be part of the 50th Anniversary product(s) which they will inevitably introduce next year…
Don’t know if it would work but carbon fibre would look nice, and it added to the sound of my speed triple exhaust,lol!

I know someone who has just upgraded to the new psu from the old one. He is suitably impressed. At the end of the day, that all that matters.

I could stream music and that would be pitch perfect, been happy with my LP12 for over 30 years though and haven’t ever thought that it needed better pitch control!

I moved from a full fat LP12 with Aro to SME 20/2. I'm fully with you on it being not much of a looker. However, as nothing is perfect, I'm happier with the compromises with the SME than the LP12. I do miss the LP12 though and the Aro was a lovely arm to use.
Actually, I am one of those that appreciate the aesthetics of the SME, I appreciate that it’s entirely form following function, everything you see has a function. They’re fabulous turntables.

Basically, what we are saying here is that this new Linn PSU makes the LP12 speed stability better and therefor, it was not perfect before? So if you don't have one then, by Linn's own admission, the speed stability of your LP12 is not great?

advertisement

Back