advertisement

New kitten expected today.

Our current one is a rescue from a cat and dog shelter and is one of three brothers.
We were told at the time that he was the best of the three and the other two were
"proper nasty pieces of work", they expected to have them long term. We were just
signing the final adoption papers when a woman came up to us to say "You've got my
cat." "No, we got him first, but he's got two brothers that need rehoming." Oh how we
laughed on the way home!! Sorry Missus, if you're reading this.
We now get regular 'offerings' left at the door. Usually mice, but once a rat and
another time a pigeon. This fluffy ball of fur at home is the terror of the local wildlife.

Regards Andy

Our cat brings mice in at night. Plays with them for a bit then gets bored and eats half of them, always leaving a bum and back legs at the bottom of the stairs. Sometimes they look just like they're trying to burrow through the floor.

Our cat brings mice in at night. Plays with them for a bit then gets bored and eats half of them, always leaving a bum and back legs at the bottom of the stairs. Sometimes they look just like they're trying to burrow through the floor.

That's why (a) we don't have a cat flap and (b) my cats come in for dinner @ 17:00 and don't go out until next morning.

Ours is in overnight during the cold or rainy weather but March/April through
to September/October he is invariably out all night then comes in when we
get up has a good feed then disappears into the conservatory for the rest of
the day, then surfaces early evening for another feed and more adventures outside.
We live opposite a farm and I think a lot of time is spent scouring the fields.
He doesn't eat what ever he catches, unless it's the whole thing!:eek:
Regards Andy

That's why (a) we don't have a cat flap and (b) my cats come in for dinner @ 17:00 and don't go out until next morning.
I've tried to do this with my boy to keep him safe but he won't have a bar of it, protesting loudly and jumping on things he shouldn't. My house is very small.

He brought a live chicken in at about 3 am one morning. How he got it through the cat door, I can never understand. It seemed unharmed and I took it back to where it came from - easy to follow the trail of feathers up the street!

My first cat Alice (1990-2004) had a specific pattern for what she left behind after eating her prey. She would generally eat the middle and leave the head and the pelvis, with hind legs attached. They would usually still be connected by a bit of spinal tissue. It was the same pattern whether she caught a rodent or a bird.

Louis normally eats mice in their entirety except for a particular organ that I don't know. With rats, he tends to leave the back half uneaten. He's not much of a birder, fortunately.

When I told my coworkers about the chicken, one said "Maybe he'll bring you a turkey for Christmas"!

advertisement

Back