advertisement

New "improved" allmusic.com

I find the new functions very useful, e.g. sorting discographies by label. Give them time, I think once the teething problems are sorted it'll be a better resource (already much faster than it was yesterday).

AMG responses to all your nagging (they seem to be getting a lot of it).

Its so shagged its totally useless IMHO - the registration simply does not work - I recieved the email with password, and it just won't accept it either from Firefox or IE - just says 'invalid password'. I'll give them a week or so to get it to work before trying again, it really is too crap to waste any time with at the moment. Hopefully they will give up and revert to the version that works.

Tony.

Apparently it's totally knackered up the Music Collector search as well. Big result!

Rich

Have they never heard of testing? It's astonishing to me that they've gone live with a site that so obviously has never been subjected to any kind of stress testing.

It's just taken me 2 minutes to do a search, and I had to try twice, first time I got a timeout error. This is basic stuff.

-- Ian

Forget about the link I posted above -- they've taken the page out again. Everything's working fine from where I'm sitting, BTW!

Ok, it now lets me log in, and also feels about 47 times faster than earlier in the week, but I still don’t rate it much – everything takes more page loads to get to, i.e. why are discographies on a separate page now? Why have Amon Düül II no longer even got a discography?

Tony.

Phew! - had a few moments extreme panic then - thought the new AMG site might have screwed up all the BIOG links I put into Music Collector, but thankfully it looks like they still work OK. Can't say I'm too impressed with the new look and feel yet, but maybe it'll take time to aclimatise. Plus some pages don't seem to display properly in Mozilla 1.7

For a truly awful exercise in f**king up a perfectly good functional web-site though, I'd say this has nothing on the *new* Netsounds one which IMO is a total dog compared with its predecessor and an absolutely wasted opportunity to develop a really good UK based online music marketplace! here it is!

For a truly awful exercise in f**king up a perfectly good functional web-site though, I'd say this has nothing on the *new* Netsounds one which IMO is a total dog compared with its predecessor…

When did Netsounds change? One of my friends has a whopping 8037 items listed there and he didn’t whinge about it when I saw him for a few pints on Mon (we spent most of the evening whinging about eBay’s Turbo Lister screwing up instead…)

Tony.

When did Netsounds change?
They introduced the new 'style' in January but ran it in parallel with the old one until some time in April (I think). It may work OK for sellers but the old one was so much simpler and less cluttered and the 'free-text' search worked far better than what they have now. A lot of the problems may be caused by sellers using the wrong fields, but it's so badly documented they can hardly be blamed for that.

I've given up trying to list anything new on eBay until they sort all the 'issues' they currently seem to have with SM, TL and HTML font changes.

In the simple way I use it, it seems to be reasonably speedy now. No-one came up with an alternative that I requested earlier in this thread so I'm glad it is sorting itself out. Even the music links work - but at twenty seconds duration; is a bit meaningless.

Paul

I've used allmusic.com for years but now I can't even do a simple search. Are there any other websites that can provide similar information on all records produced by a given artist? :confused:

well I've had to add allmusic.com to the very short list of sites I have to use IE for. In IE it all seems to work fine. In firefox and mozilla pages frequently half load and never finish, so much so as to render it unusable.

I'm unsure if it's related but I'm using these settings in firefox and mozilla to squeeze a bit more speed out of it, and it's possible this is causing the problem:

network.http.pipelining = true
network.http.pipelining.firstrequest = true
network.http.pipelining.maxrequests = 8
network.http.proxy.pipelining = true

is anyone else using firefox sucessfully with allmusic?

Matt

If everything being slammed up against the left handside, looking like it was designed with web-based site-builder software, then it works with Firefox 0.92.

The search takes forever, and that '7000 free smileys' banner makes me want to dismember puppies. Other than that, it's all good.

The search takes forever

yes - it's seems a lot faster for me in IE - unless this is coincidence

I try to use it in the morning in the UK when it's a lot faster anyway

I've had the issue with both firefox 0.9.2 and 0.9.3

Matt

I was re-sleeving <shameless_plug> Nagaoka Nagaoka Yeah Yeah Yeah </shameless_plug> some more albums last night and came up with R & J Stone - R & J which I was given very shortly after it was released in 1977 by a friend in the business. I seem to recall him saying something like "it is being withdrawn because R & J don't like the front cover". The cover looks like it has a rip down the middle with him on the left half and her, looking bloody awful, on the right half.

Allmusic.com has them listed as Rock. I listened to it and it's nasty, horrible 70's popshite.

It didn't get a sleeve and I don't think it would do well on ePay so the charity shop gets it.

Mick

advertisement

Back