advertisement

New entry into the Top 10 of turntables

I was thinking more about inconsistency and non-uniformity in the material, thickness, magnetic islands etc. I'm guessing that the cartridge would pick that up. I really don't know

There was a documentary on one of the Discovery channels about OWA and the recycled iron they used to manufacture the turntables. There was lots of good science and some bad pseudo-science but carefully selected old iron, properly resmelted under controlled conditions and cast into high precision moulds should eliminate many of those issues. I have forgotten my metalurgic chemistry so not sure what happens to the magnetic fields but I seem to remember they orient N/S on cooling and retain that memory - much like much of the subsurface geology on the planet on which we sit.

I have forgotten my metalurgic chemistry so not sure what happens to the magnetic fields but I seem to remember they orient N/S on cooling and retain that memory - much like much of the subsurface geology on the planet on which we sit.

Never exactly though or you break the 2nd Law.

Wait, come back. How about some OMA speakers?

80727-B37-A669-4-F2-C-A45-B-AEB9-C7-E29-A74.jpg

(lol)
Tastes vary. I'd have a pair of these in a heartbeat.

Wish a earned the kind of disposable cash needed to buy one and then just shrug my shoulders a few weeks later and sell it back for 1/3 what I paid after I completely realize it doesn't matter how much I adjust & warm it up it still disappoints musically speaking.

In part II OMA invent the Michell Record Clamp.

PS The late Tom Fletcher wants his carbon top-platter back too.

OMA makes some really cool looking gear in a Steampunk sort of way.

But that new TT is an aesthetic abomination.

I still maintain the thing that separates the truly great audio designers from the also-rans is the ability to produce groundbreaking innovative products at non-exclusionary elitist prices, so the OMA turntable can never be other than an irrelevant academic exercise in excess to my mind. Even so it is interesting, as are some of his horn speakers.
That's the definition of an engineer. Someone once said, between the wars, "Any fool can make an automobile for $10,000. To manufacture a working automobile for $1000, that takes an engineer". Probably Henry Ford.

Interesting Article. Personally I really like Jonathan Weiss the owner, IMO his is one of the more interesting people out there with the likes of Mr Qvortrup and Kevin Scott and Fred Davies. His products in general are for the very cash rich but they are good products. Interestingly understand Michael Fremer gave up an upper level TechDas for one of these so must be something good about it. If I was into vinyl and had cash to burn at that level I would cert take a look at it as sounds good to my mind from videos on youtube.

Ferrous metal rotating under the cartridge surely affects the magnetic field and introduces lf noise

It does and a 25mm clearance between the MC cartridge and the platter isn't enough to stop the iron from having an effect on the cartridge. To get very little effect you need a good few inches between the iron and the cartridge like in J.C. Verdier's turntable.

Including the crane/arm.

The tonearm was conceived by Frank Schröder for OMA. It is 3D printed in titanium I believe, so that won't be cheap either, but if Frank had something to do with the design you can be assured it will be good. I am sure this will be discussed in the other parts of the K3 series.

You can buy one of those brushes direct from the manufacturer Rangel Vasev in Berlin. His website is here
Each one is hand made to order in the finish of your choosing and signed by Rangel and each one is serial numbered.

Blimey! I see the brush OMA sell is his cheaper offering - the really posh ones are EUR 582.

It kind of feels like a redundant product. Surely people this rich don't have dust in their home?

advertisement

Back