advertisement

New Elec meter. Should I be worried?

Dan K

pfm Member
EDF keep sending me letters asking me if they can install a new digital 'smart meter'. My worry is mains noise. Has anyone had one of these installed and could they detect any sonic change.

Thanks

Dan

Dan

Back in 2007 I worked on drafting a contract for these gizmos with a utility company and asked the same question myself.

The answer from the engineers - (note I said engineers not some clerk) was that if anything, things would improve.

The only disadvantage of smart meters is that if you suffer from paranoia, the electicity company can analyse where you use your electricity and when.

So go ahead.

Regards

Mick

EDF keep sending me letters asking me if they can install a new digital 'smart meter'. My worry is mains noise. Has anyone had one of these installed and could they detect any sonic change.

Thanks

Dan

May be best to satisfy yourself about any proper advantages of having one. I couldn't find a compelling reason to change, but then I'm not interested in finding out from where my consumption emanates; I know !!!!!;)

They might change you main fuse for a 80A one, they did when they installed mine.
But it didn't sound any different afterwards.
And they are more accurate then the old ones.

Pete

Mike, my thoughts exactly. I don't want one, I don't need one... but they keep sending the letters. If there is a noise reduction then great I'll get it fitted, but otherwise why change?

It's worth noting that there is no requirement to accept one of these new meters despite the impression the letter gives. As soon as I realised this I just cancelled, mainly because I couldn't be arsed tidying the kitchen.

I did ask about that, Rob. They said the meter readers will be re-trained in fitting the new smartmeters and maintaining them thereafter. No one will be made redundant, apparently.
Smart meters still require people to attend the street, just not each individual house hold or enter anyones home, which will be safer for the public.

Lots of reports on the web about the electromagnetic fields emanating from these devices - due to the way that they transmit data.

If you are worried about such issues use Google to find out more.

Probobaly no more of a health issue than mobile phones, or living under pylons?!

Lots of reports on the web about the electromagnetic fields emanating from these devices - due to the way that they transmit data.

If you are worried about such issues use Google to find out more.

Probobaly no more of a health issue than mobile phones, or living under pylons?!

You could always ware a tin-foil hat, just in case

I got the letter.
Told them to sling their hook.
The Tories have promised they will not be compulsory under their watch, reversing the plans under the last lot.

Anyone still using the old ceramic fuses with the tin wire you have to replace when blown?

Does it make a difference? Do they sound better than circuit breakers???

This could start to get silly, so please if anybody has made the change to a smart meter then speak up if you could hear any difference or not.

advertisement

Back