advertisement

New Dynaudio Contour 20 Mini Review

AshM750

pfm Member
Hi all,

I don't often write on here so bare with me but I just had to write something after the experience I had this afternoon. I am now officially the first customer to hear the new Contour 20s in the UK and boy are they good.

I Spoke to Martin at Audio T Bristol last week to find out when the new speakers were available, he said that the UK rep Bill Livingston(Great guy and very knowledgeable) was popping in with a demo pair of Contour 20s today! So I managed to get a side by side comparison of the old Contour 1.4LE vs Contour 20. :D

Let me start off by saying I've been a Dynaudio fan since the x12s and I just love them for there musicality. The room was large I would say roughly 7m x 5m and they were running on Bryston amps.

We started on the Contour 1.4s and they were very nicely balanced, detailed with good bass extention, I had the depth and 3d soundstage that I would expect from Dynaudio, it was that musical warm feeling I like. BUT then we put the Contour 20s on and they were so much more refined, everything was bettered. The detail was increased, depth was deeper, bass was more controlled and the separation of instruments was excellent. They filled this large room with ease, although I did believe the bass could have been tighter on both speakers, I put this down to the speakers and stands(not sand filled) being rested directly onto the suspended floor, Let me just reassure everyone though that the bass was much tighter and cleaner on the Contour 20s and I know that many people did not like that about the original Dyns.

The build quality is as usual top rate, the finish I listened to was walnut colour(I think) which retails for £3750, the price tag is high compared to the previous model but for that you get the better esotar tweeter from the higher line and a completely redesigned cabinet and main driver, its a good deal to my ears.

Well that sums up what I thought, Dynaudio have massively redesigned an already good speaker, it really is up there with the best I've heard! The complete redesign was such a breath of fresh air.

I've not seen an explanation from Dynaudio as to why the driver arrangement of the new Contours is suddenly "right way" up again, compared to the previous generation (where bass drivers were on the top, then mid, and the tweeter at the bottom).

Throwing a design concept out the window completely from one generation to the next, without any explanation, is not helping a manufacturer's credibility.. (and I actually have a lot of respect for Dynaudio)

Furthermore, I am waiting for Dynaudio to subject the new Contours to the XD-treatment, like they did with their Focus range.

Apparently they were asked to start all over again with these, they have engineers from all over the world(from KEF, BMW ect) including the engineers that worked on the previous contour models.

After some long research they found that this was the best way and only way to improve on what they already had and believe me they are a much more refined speaker. The front baffle is about 1 inch thick aluminium, the driver has been completely redesigned and means they can only make one at a time where as before they could make multiple drive units at the same time, this is due to the thickness of the MSP, I believe it gets thinner in certain areas. The crossover has also been completely redesigned with the highest quality components and lastly they have upgraded the tweeter the Esotar tweeter which is found in the more expensive models. All of this info was given to me by the Dyaudio Rep who was a great bloke and really knows his stuff.

So I understand that changing a design of a range of speakers can be detrimental to a company but they have kept the house sound and just improved it even more! Thats why I'm going to buy a pair!

I don't believe they are going to do a maple finish, I think it's, walnut, white wood effect, black/white gloss, dark oak and 1 more. They are all different prices. Walnut and White wood effect are £3750.

advertisement

Back