advertisement

New DAC.

Paul T

I am currently drawing up a short list of DACs to audition to go with a Nait XS amp and ProAc D18 speakers. The intention being to use it with a Mac Mini. My price range is up to 1K, any advice would be gratefully appreciated. M-DAC?

Thanks, Paul.

I used an M-DAC for a while with a Nait XS and PRoac D28s.
Sounded great.
Still use the M-DAC but with a Sugden now - sounds even better.

I'll second the Rega, currently running one on my office system which is CB Naim 62/hi-cap/90 with ProAc Tablettes. Sounds fine to me, okay it isn't threatening the Linn DS in the main system but I have no complaints with it for the money.

If it was me and you don't use vinyl, i'd buy a dac with a built in pre, sell the XS and buy a S101 from avondale. IME these systems offer a lot of VFM.

Possible dacs:
MDAC
Benchmark DAC1
Mytek 192
I'd also have a look at the schiit audio dacs/amps, I like their business model which eliminates the dealer and distributor (harsh I know).

I'd highly recommend Audirvana+ software if you're an itunes user.

I would consider purchasing second-hand; a Naim nDac would probably be a little over, or consider Weiss Dac 2.

I use a Mac Mini, very happy with it.

I am currently drawing up a short list of DACs to audition to go with a Nait XS amp and ProAc D18 speakers. The intention being to use it with a Mac Mini. My price range is up to 1K, any advice would be gratefully appreciated. M-DAC?

Thanks, Paul.

I have an MDAC and have heard it against a Benchmark and this

http://www.harmonydesign.se/eng/index.php?sid=62&katID=4

I could live with any one of them, they are all good.

If it was me and you don't use vinyl, i'd buy a dac with a built in pre, sell the XS and buy a S101 from avondale. IME these systems offer a lot of VFM.......
Seconded, I'm now using a TeddyDAC-VC (into an ST60 pwer amp), It has a volume control (motorised with remote), 2 coax inputs, 1 USB and 1 optical. Current sources are Rega Apollo via coax, MacMini/USB and TV/DVD/PVR via optical. It sounds as good as anything I have heard at the price, and is a neat and unobtrusive solution.

MDAC's a good choice. I actually own a Mytek 192 DSD, owned the MDAC previously for over a year.

The Mytek is considerably better than the MDAC, but in subtle fashion more so as the MDAC is pretty capable. That includes standard PCM audio too.

The Mytek is an entirely different beast with DSD however....

Just be warned, the Mytek actually does have a ridiculous break in period though definitely sounds good out of the box.

Lots of choice! The £899 Wyred 4 Sound DAC1 is still the best thing I've heard under £1K, although there's now some stiff competition. The only way to be sure is to try before you buy: I'd be happy to lend you a Benchmark, W4S and Audiolab MDAC (maybe also the Metrum Octave) for trial - maybe you could do a write up for others facing the same dilemma?

What are advantages of an async USB DAC and which in particular?

Async USB, just means that the clock in the dac is in sole control of the flow of data,M2Tech 'Young' would be my recommendation ,but try and compare a few in your own system.
Keith.

Stan's Bushmaster is excellent and punches well above its weight price wise-a no-brainer really,coupled with Mark's (Grant) power supply,it's even better!!!

advertisement

Back