advertisement

New Crimson 880 Amplifiers (holy moly!)

Checking back in. Yes i believe it is the same Crimson. I’ve had three sets of their amps now, 640d, 640e4, and now the 880 with each iteration being a huge jump up in performance. I’ve owned many heralded amp from McIntosh to PS Audio, Luxman, Pass Labs, and several hand made single ended triode amps. These are absolutely the best power amps I have ever heard.
The most significant difference is their sheer musicality. They have superb pace and timing, and are sublimely resolving. This is especially apparent when listening to acoustic instruments, and being able to detect the subtleties of their harmonics. I do quite a bit of recording, and am able detect subtle special cues from reverbs and delays, and also hear the space of the recording environment, and the instruments placement within that space. I am finally no longer on my quest to find an amplifier that really plays music.

This is really interesting. Apart from these posts there isn't much on the web. Can you post some photos, specs etc? This is a hobbyist site so we would really appreciate more information. The Crimson website does not have any details (and looks like it has not been updated in a while).

I designed the analog side of these amps. Contact Peter More of Virtual Reality Audio, he is about to do a launch on these now that they are at the final specification. There will be a new website soon but at present he can be reached via the very outdated https://www.crimsonelectronics.com/
The 880 is a four box (two PSUs two mono power amps) about 200W each. It is not HiFi. It is much better than that.

What prices should one think of???
£4000 for the pre above so I'm guessing similar for the powers. As you might imagine that is on a par with competitors and probably a shade cheaper than comparable Naim.
I don't get modern hifi pricing, I don't know who buys it. Certainly not the traditional hifi enthusiasts, we're buying vintage stuff, and young people look at the prices asked shake their heads and walk away.

I'm guessing £25k. It's not really a guess, it's what I read on the internet.

£4000 for the pre above so I'm guessing similar for the powers. As you might imagine that is on a par with competitors and probably a shade cheaper than comparable Naim.
I don't get modern hifi pricing, I don't know who buys it. Certainly not the traditional hifi enthusiasts, we're buying vintage stuff, and young people look at the prices asked shake their heads and walk away.
The Choice HiFi site gives the monos as £3400. It isn’t clear but presumably that is for one rather than a pair.

The Choice HiFi site gives the monos as £3400. It isn’t clear but presumably that is for one rather than a pair.
Seems likely, if the pre is £4k. I do think individual pricing of non pro monoblocks is cynical though, apart from the one in a million customer buying one £3k mono amp for his home cinema centre speaker they are bought in pairs and with sequential numbers.

The amplifiers on the Choice HiFi site are the 640 E3. This thread is about the 880's. The Choice prices seem pretty good, though. In the US the 710 retailed for about $7k, and 640's were about $6k/pr. This was about 10 years ago. Not sure on today's prices for the 710 and 640's.

advertisement

Back