advertisement

new cd upgrade?

joebear

Hi can anybody help? Any suggestions. I am looking for a new cd player. My current player is a linn mimik,its a fine player but i think its time for it to go. money to spend? about £1500 new or used. my system is a Croft vitali pre amp,Croft series 3 power amp,teac reel to reel player and misson 782 speakers. The cables are jps labs interconnects and speaker cable. Cheers:)

Hi can anybody help? Any suggestions. I am looking for a new cd player. My current player is a linn mimik,its a fine player but i think its time for it to go. money to spend? about £1500 new or used. my system is a Croft vitali pre amp,Croft series 3 power amp,teac reel to reel player and misson 782 speakers. The cables are jps labs interconnects and speaker cable. Cheers:)

Allmost Any Rega cd-player is todays bargain and best buy in my opinion, especial the new Apollo-R however it may provide too soft performance on a valve setup ?
A cheap option which may make room for speaker upgrade ?
Another allmost opposite solution is a Naim CDX2 s/h will fresh up any slow gear but sometime too upfront and screechy, very natural in some setup as is their CD5XS/psu
everything above will be miles better than Mimik, sell it asap while its working.

+1 for the Ikemi.I've been using one for years and I love it!
I had an Exposure MCX(£4500)cd player on loan from my dealer for a week.It bettered the Ikemi for realism but that was all.The Ikemi was more dynamic,musical and more emotionally engaging.

Hi Joebear,

Have you thought about keeping the Mimik and adding a DAC?

I believe you have an 'Electrical Data Output' (BNC), so it would seem to make more sense adding a DAC giving greater flexibility in the future.

Regards,
Peter

You can do better than the Ikemi for that sort of money.

Think about Rega and Densen for starters.

Should be able to get an Ikemi cheaper than £1,500, about £1,000 I recon.

You might be able to get a Majik CD in your budget.

I had a Cambridge CD2 for almost 10 years, it was replaced by an Ikemi and I was gobsmacked by the musical finesse it was capable of.

When I moved across to PC/DAC, I punted my Ikemi. Unmarked, boxed, etc. £870. That was in 2011. They seem to have crept UP in value since then..... what does that tell you? It was indeed the last CD player I ever owned. Every single time I switched it on I enjoyed it, no matter the disc, no matter the amp and speakers on my hifi roundabout at the time.

Oh course if you do like Linn's presentation.

And you really want a big step up in sound quality with your budget...

...get rid of having to keep spinning the disc over and over all together.

Get a Majik DS and get (generally regarded) a better level of performance than a Linn Sondek CD12.

Or whatever streaming solution you prefer.

Oh course if you do like Linn's presentation.

And you really want a big step up in sound quality with your budget...

...get rid of having to keep spinning the disc over and over all together.

Get a Majik DS and get (generally regarded) a better level of performance than a Linn Sondek CD12.

Or whatever streaming solution you prefer.

Agreed. Got shot of my much loved Naim CD3.5/FlatCap for a DAC/ND5SX which was astonishingly good. Have moved on to NDS/XPS2 which is unbelievably good. Why bother with a CDP. A £299 vortexbox will handle your ripping needs. After that anything from Squeezebox/DAC to bespoke streamer will see off all but the very, very best CDPs.

For that kind of money you could purchase a good second-hand Linn Akurate CD Player; as long as you don't mind it being out-performed by a brand new Pioneer N-50 Network Audio Player costing just £500.

Thanks for the information, I'm thinking of having a demo of the audiolab CDQ. Had a chat to Anthony Mathews of tube distinctions this week, and he was amazed by the sound of the audiolab for the money. Thought about the Cyrus 8 se aswell any thoughts on that player with valve amplification??? Thanks for the feedback,I listen to blues,folk and some good old rock. Cheers.

A good example RA Opus 21.

Hard to equal , never mind better for < £1500.

To better it even just a bit , costs a great deal of dosh !

advertisement

Back