advertisement

New car thoughts (again...)

When I was at the BMW showroom at the weekend I was looking at an Alpina 3 Series Estate, I was stunned when the salesman said it was diesel. I have a diesel car for my company car.

Cheers BB
D3S? Quite possibly the best diesel in the world!

LOl. My first new car was a Nova GTE in 89. I couldn't quite afford a Golf GTi, but in hindsight, should've made the stretch. Never mind, Nova was great fun and faultless for about 3 years and continually hitting the redline. Looks hideous today!
For the roads across the Yorkshire Dales, that Nova was pretty much perfect. 4ft 10in wide, light, Colway Road Plus tyres (intermediate tread compound) and giving 90bhp of lightly modded power. I’d have another in a flash for a fun car, but they’re silly prices now. Even then, Golfs were a bit stodgy for my driving.

For the roads across the Yorkshire Dales, that Nova was pretty much perfect. 4ft 10in wide, light, Colway Road Plus tyres (intermediate tread compound) and giving 90bhp of lightly modded power. I’d have another in a flash for a fun car, but they’re silly prices now. Even then, Golfs were a bit stodgy for my driving.
I think a Golf would've worn the miles better and held better value. And a roomier day-to-day proposition, but I had no end of fun in the Nova on the B roads, and thrashed it up and down from Essex to Lancs about twice a month. ON the subject of fun cars, I was a bit squeezed for cash a few years back and took a crash repaired Citroen ZX Volcano Disel off a friend in the trade. Planned on keeping to short-term to get me through. A really excellent little car that loved the bends and loved a few revs. really enjoyed that for a couple of years, bizarrely enough.

I read that as DBS, and thought you were talking about an Aston Martin 🤣
My brother has some lovely cars (currently has Porsche Taycan tourer, GT3 Touring and a new Macan GTS).

However, he did own an Aston Martin DBS, and it rivaled his Maserati Quatraporte, as the worst, most unreliable cars he's had.

Both were equally awful to drive (Maserati gearbox blew up twice and DBS had shaky suspension).

He's stuck to German ever since, although his McLaren LP12C and Ferrari 458 GTB, were fine but short lived.

OP what's your budget?

LOl. My first new car was a Nova GTE in 89. I couldn't quite afford a Golf GTi, but in hindsight, should've made the stretch. Never mind, Nova was great fun and faultless for about 3 years and continually hitting the redline. Looks hideous today!
absolutely not. The GTE looks like a 1980s rally weapon, the Golf looks like every other 80s marketing execs company car.

Did the OP check out his local Suzuki dealer? I was going to recommend the Suzuki Ignis. My mum has been pottering around town in one for the last 6 years. Totally reliable.

Funny you should say that- I'm off down this week to look at a Swift and an Ignis. The shape does divide opinion but it looks roomy, high-ish up and they do an auto...not particularly cheap but if it's my last car...

Yes, my mum’s Ignis is an auto. I notice the price has risen significantly in the last six years. I think she paid £12.5k in 2018. I see they now start at £18k!

Positives: Looks (I like the tiny SUV shape - almost like a Japanese Kei car)), economy, high-ish driving position, nippy and quite good fun to drive.

Negative: It’s a very lightweight car (if that’s even a negative) so the interior build is very plasticky.

I saw that the Swift is £12k though I have no experience of this model. The ‘hot’ Swift was always well regarded.

Can I ask if you've been out on the motorway and what it's like at 70 ?
Also, is it the CVT box that's in other Suzukis ?

We are going through a similar process having decided that its not worth risking the DSG gearbox in the wife's Polo GTI beyond its warranty; that ends in October. The choice seems mid-boggling and so many issues to consider beyond the old power and size . However to my amazement even with a £30k budget she has whittled it down to only a 3 door Mini. That said, the Suzuki's mentioned above were overlooked and might work thanks for pointing them out. What really interested me in the process she went through is that where, in the past, there were a huge range of cars at every segment now, once you have identified your requirements, the choice is actually quite small.

Keys for her were:

• Having had the DSG for 5 years she wants another Auto.
  • 6 or 7, 700 mile round trips a year, so can't be a "city" car.
  • The help ease the pain of letting her beloved Polo go she wants the benefit something smaller, so less than 4m, that rules out EVs and most Superminis.
  • Honda Jazz came close but; it is bigger than 4 m, the dealer annoyed her and they have some very odd wheel sizes that either rule out the Michelin tyres she likes or makes them ridiculously expensive
  • Toyota Yaris hybrid came close enough to win but they seem to have a huge reliability problem with their 12v batteries.

Can I ask if you've been out on the motorway and what it's like at 70 ?
Also, is it the CVT box that's in other Suzukis ?

Yes, it’s fine cruising on the motorway at 70. Once it gets there. The CVT box is adequate if a little unrefined (much like any CVT I’d wager). My mum’s previous car was a Mercedes A Class (the older upright model) and she prefers the Suzuki.

Haha. Raysablade -your shortlist and decision making mirrors mine, apart from the mileage which is now considerably reduced for us. A mate is trying to talk me into going back to a manual, mainly for how far the money will go, but both me and the wife are having none of it. We've had auto for 13 years - at first because of an shoulder injury - but wouldn't go back now to manual. BUT it does raise the question of the various auto boxes, so I guess it's the usual depressing trawl round dealers...

We are going through a similar process having decided that its not worth risking the DSG gearbox in the wife's Polo GTI beyond its warranty; that ends in October. The choice seems mid-boggling and so many issues to consider beyond the old power and size . However to my amazement even with a £30k budget she has whittled it down to only a 3 door Mini. That said, the Suzuki's mentioned above were overlooked and might work thanks for pointing them out. What really interested me in the process she went through is that where, in the past, there were a huge range of cars at every segment now, once you have identified your requirements, the choice is actually quite small.

Keys for her were:

• Having had the DSG for 5 years she wants another Auto.
  • 6 or 7, 700 mile round trips a year, so can't be a "city" car.
  • The help ease the pain of letting her beloved Polo go she wants the benefit something smaller, so less than 4m, that rules out EVs and most Superminis.
  • Honda Jazz came close but; it is bigger than 4 m, the dealer annoyed her and they have some very odd wheel sizes that either rule out the Michelin tyres she likes or makes them ridiculously expensive
  • Toyota Yaris hybrid came close enough to win but they seem to have a huge reliability problem with their 12v batteries.
You’ll find that the Suzukis are a step down in perceived build quality compared with the Polo. Mum’s neighbour bought a Polo from new many years ago and they had nothing but trouble with it. They now have a previous gen Jazz. It’s been totally reliable (and is more solidly built than the Suzuki).

What's so worrying about the VW DSG that you don't trust it past the warranty period?

You’ll find that the Suzukis are a step down in perceived build quality compared with the Polo. Mum’s neighbour bought a Polo from new many years ago and they had nothing but trouble with it. They now have a previous gen Jazz. It’s been totally reliable (and is more solidly built than the Suzuki).

I've had a Jimny and a Grand Vitara, both reliable apart from brakes binding when worn; my job for this afternoon.

advertisement

Back