advertisement

New camera?

Its kind of funny really the 5D II is more or less its equal of the RED 1 (only the 5D has a better sensor for low light) for £1800 (trade). I think the release of the 5DII is the most important camera since the Oskar Barnack started messing around with 35mm. The coming of digital camera democratised photography, the 5D is set to do the same thing with movies, a 5DII, a few lenses, available light shooting entirely possible because of the excellent sensor.
How long will it take for the first feature film to be shot on the 5DII, i wonder?

The RED cameras already send out a video stream in 24mp RAW format; dSLRs frame rates will increase; and they'll meet in the middle.

I'm not saying I want this! I just think it's inevitable.
One of my closest friends is a camera man. He owns his own digi gear, and shoots mostly TV docs - things like Merton in India, stuff for Discovery Channel, he even filmed Blair's last interview. His take is that as someone who was trained using 16mm, he still approaches his work in the same way, even though he now uses digi gear, a craft that in some ways has started to die since digital cine photography has emerged. Only the other day he was talking about some of the younger blood he has worked with who have never used analogue. They endeavour to try to capture absolutely everything, at the expense, in his opnion, of worrying about lighting and composition. Effectively the entire job of making decisions is passed on to the edit stage, which is completely drowned in masses of footage, much of it utterly worthless. He feels whilst there are massive benefits and hugely reduced costs, that something very special is being lost along the way. If you extend the above to how stills are gathered for publication, the same must apply.

Its kind of funny really the 5D II is more or less its equal of the RED 1 (only the 5D has a better sensor for low light) for £1800 (trade). I think the release of the 5DII is the most important camera since the Oskar Barnack started messing around with 35mm. The coming of digital camera democratised photography, the 5D is set to do the same thing with movies, a 5DII, a few lenses, available light shooting entirely possible because of the excellent sensor.
How long will it take for the first feature film to be shot on the 5DII, i wonder?
When they sort out the audio side. The inbuilt mic would be nowhere near good enough and a 5D would be impractical with a decent Sennheiser on the flash mount. I just ordered a new Sony Z5 HD camcorder for that very reason and will stick to an EOS-1D3 for stills. The very idea of a combined still/ HD cam is certainly appealing but only when they sort out the audio.

Yerah I know what you mean. I would probably take three 36exp rolls of film on a three week holiday and make each shot count.

Now I went to Canada a few months ago for just two weeks and took 750 shots!

Tok me a day to edit them down to 250! Dont mention the fact that some were in RAW and some in JPEG...never again.

advertisement

Back