advertisement

New big room in USA, mulling Tannoys or Klipsch...

Funny you should mention - one of my all time great listening experiences was Avantgarde Duos with some Audio Note SET amps and a reasonably spec'd LP12 front end. Just stunning. Listening to a beethoven 7 (von K 60s?) just blew me away.... believe me, if I see a reasonably priced pair I'll jump!

Right now some of the more interesting BIG things I AM finding available, with some opportunities for audition even (hello N95 masks as new de rigeur audiophile accessory!):

- Altec Valencia 846A asking 2500usd
- Klipsch Cornwall III asking 3500 usd NIB
- Klipsch La Scala (vintage tbd) price tbd (likely 3k ish)
- Tannoy 215 DMT II (?!) asking 4500 usd

And of course there's more. I've even considered going mid-fi cheapish (ie Klipsch or JBL options ~600 usd/pair) and just wing it from there... BUT for first time in my life the chance to have my entire vinyl collection out, and chance to be able to listen to big orchestral/choral pieces (St Matthew Passion etc) with some real oomph - it's so tempting to go big big. This from a guy who's been happily living with Nait 2 & Kans for 20+ years...

If you want something local, offer $2500:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=333099708063

These are what I'd buy if I were in your home in LA and didn't want to do a DIY project. At this price you should be able to sell on in the rather unlikely event that you're not delighted with the sound quality on offer for the price paid. Get them shipped to you:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=164052122894

For reference, these are local, but the price is too high:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=333405906106

BTW, if you're happy to DIY, you can cherry pick some classic highly rated drivers and put them together in your creation for realistic amounts of money.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Oh boy, UREI is something totally new to me. Fell into a two hour sinkhole of web scouring reading up... Seems like ideally I'd frame out the wall, get them up off the floor.

Those 19s look quite nice. Less placement fuss perhaps than the UREIs?

Noted re selling on. But my sense is the UREIs might be a more challenging sale than Altecs, not to mention the ease of Klipsch sales... in watch terms the Klipsch are almost rolex-like in the ease with which you can move in and out of them here. Also much easier to gauge prices due to being more common.

Going to get a shipping quote on the Ohio UREI's, why not:)

Decisions decisions.

Came across a thread on another forum, the local Audio Note dealer was chiming in on Cornwalls very favorably, offering to drive over to listen with AN amps for curiosity sake (especially curious about the IVs).

Narrowing down, MUCH appreciate the input thus far!

For a cheaper and lovely warm and full presentation why not a ditton 66 really enjoyed those when i had them. Tweeters can be an issue and they are vintage but surprisingly good

Looking at post 21...
The original design concept of the K Cornwall, as the center channel between 2 K Horns, puts me off a tad. It's possible that the designers may have made something better suited to a full range monitor if that had been the brief?
The tannoy DMT's are pro studio monitors. If you really want to hear exactly where all the good (and therefore) the bad bits are, these will do it, butI much prefer tannoys domestic models.
The La Scalas are great, but do have a particular 'sound' which you need to like. Audition needed.
If I were in the states, I'd be looking at JBL's domestic versions of the big monitor speakers. With the right room and amps (and you can make both) they are as spectacular as anything on your list IME.

The original design concept of the K Cornwall, as the center channel between 2 K Horns, puts me off a tad.

That was the Heresy, not the Cornwall wasn’t it? The Cornwall was just a Klipsch that didn’t actually need to be in a corner (Corn(er/)wall).

I have had big tannoys, and now have cloned-to-a-higher-spec JBL 4430s and restomodded Urei 811A's with homebuilt subs in the workshop. I rate both these higher than Tannoys (and I've had a few, up to Autographs). It could be the rooms they're in, but I marginally prefer the Urei system. But all the Ureis were designed for soffit mounting, so will be bass light unless you build a room (though the small - and cheap - 809s are least affected and have more bass than the bigger models). If you like bass under 80hz you need subs with them. Mind you, the bass down to there is just outstanding, so you need really good subs to not bugger it up.

My two penneth/cents.

I ve recently taken a big turn in the speaker department going from small Audio Note Ks to Tannoy Cheviots ( you can see my post in DIY)

I thought it would be straight forward and like you canvassed opinions here and elsewhere, but getting a perfect speaker/amp/room match is actually very tricky, time consuming and potentially expensive.
So I hear what you are saying about Lockdown and trying second hand gear, but I urge patience ( something I didn't have). Sounds like you are going to a great deal of trouble with the room so you don't wont to get it wrong for the sake of a couple of months.
At the end of the day, it's helpful to get recommendations, but ultimately only your ears matter.

Sorry to preach but my final bit of advice is to try and choose your speakers and amplifier together.

https://audio-heritage.jp/UREI/speaker/index.html
http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/specs/pro-speakers/1995-urei-809/page2.jpg

Manufacturer's quoted -3db points for the 811's are about 60 hz. For the 813's about 40 hz. 809's are about 50 hz.

The bass extension on the 813's seems reasonable enough to me. And so it should be with two 15" woofers in a ported box.
OK it's not 20 hz bass extension. But that's the realm of speakers with equalisation or 18" or bigger drivers.
I'm getting down to 20 odd with the subs. They active and have JBL 2234s in. I've heard, but don't own 813s - the Altec/Urei driver model A - subjectively I didn't think it got as low as my pair of 809s. I have taken the foam bung out. on the 809s, which adds a useful bit of weight. It's possible that the 813C's, with all JBL drivers would go lower - the owner of the 813As I heard said that was his opinion. The Urei woofers are not in the same league as JBls. I did buy a pair of 815s, but never heard them before dismantling them (the cabinets had been wet and turned to pulp) but that's another story.

Studio 590s are getting a good look from me, thanks for pointer! Free shipping and free returns from JBL, they've got refurbs for 699 = maybe worth a go.

What sort of amps would you suggest? Big and solid state? They're efficient but that alone of course doesn't ensure easy driving. I've always heard JBLs with big solid state gear.

They sound really good with EL34 push pull type tube amps of around 30 watts.I used some vintage Trimax mono blocks which are based on the Mullard 520 design.
Also worked pretty well with my Almarro 318B SET amp.A 300B SET did not have enough power/current though.
Also very good with a 15 watt Bakoon amp.

The last of the JBLs designed by Greg Timbers.

Ladies/gents/all

Hugely appreciative of all the info, and definitely have me exploring new directions.

Tomorrow I am due to have a garage demo of a variety of Klipsch/Altec/JBL options courtesy of a local collector/seller. Should be interesting!

paolo191 - noted on all counts! I am acutely aware that matching speakers to room is no easy trick. And re amps - I am absolutely letting speakers come first and then approaching amps with open mind (ss, tubes, set, class a ab d - all option will be on table - though confess my hunch is will be set or class a ss - but in any event letting speakers settle first).

I think UREIs are out - not prepared to build out soffit, not sure I can handle the looks. Altecs are real contenders, Cornwalls yes. Tannoys at right price yes. And JBLs -

realizing I've not mentioned I've spent lots of time in japan, and that may be where the tannoy love is originating. But I've also heard quite a bit of JBL systems over there too... and in my hours of internet scouring came across this gem - pic of the system belonging to founder of Accuphase, Jiro kasuga (fingers crossed link works?!)

I WILL report back after demo! And there may in fact be a dealer roped into this. We shall see...

And so I've bought -

La Scalas, current model AL5's, cherry finish, absolutely spectacular. The only other contender was a bit of a surprise - Harbeth 40.2s. Which are VERY $$$ here, and the amp choice was going to be likewise costly.

I'm still mulling amp options. I fear tubes, but that may well be where I land. A Luxman class A integrated is what my brain says go with. Or possibly vintage Mcintosh SS if I can hit the #.

Much appreciate all the input, and the encouragement to focus on this side of the pond. In celebration and gratitude I've read the pfm faq, set up flickr, and am trying my best to finally share a pic or two:

The best I had in a large room were B & W 801 series 80.
In my opinion, a monumental speaker in the right space.

The pics I posted is not my place btw - that's the dealer's room, with a Naim stack.

I confess B&W had never pushed my buttons. Great speakers, not my thing. Ditto Wilson: incredible stuff, but just really not my thing.

It's so funny how this works. I was not expecting to end up with La Scalas, having spent a LOT of time with them in the 80s and 90s - good friend had a set circa 1987. But here we are...

I did listen to some vintage Altecs. It was a challenging demo, far from ideal, and ultimately stars aligned with a good price on La Scalas, there's no need for fiddling/tweaking/diy, the cabinets are stunning = done.

advertisement

Back